Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-21-2010, 09:44 AM   #1
fcoulter
Enthusiast
fcoulter began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Feature Request - Edit File Option

I, as a bunch of other people, probably use both Sigil and Calibre. I'm sure that there are other eBook editing programs out there.

I would love to have an "Edit Book" button in Calibre. It would do the following:

1) Look in the preferences for the location of the editing program
2) Look in the preferences for the file type needed by the editing program
3) If neccessary, convert the book to the file type needed by the editing program
3a) I'm not sure which file would be converted. Perhaps the oldest version, or perhaps the "cleanest". This might also be something for the preferences to give as options.
4) Launch the editing program and load the file to be edited

If I knew python -- it's on my to be learned list -- I'd take a swing at it. But I dont', so I won't.

It might be interesting if Calibre also would also delete (or archive or something) the earlier versions of books after editing. In other words, if you've got a book in pdf & mobi format, and you want to edit it in Sigil. For example:
  1. First, it would convert the book to ePub.
  2. Second, it would launch Sigl with the converted ePub.
  3. Third, after the book was saved, it would give the option of deleting/archiving the older non-edited versions of the book.

This would seem like a useful capability within Calibre. I'm not asking for Calibre to turn into something it's not, just be able to launch a useful program from within Calibre.
fcoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:29 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The problem with implementing this is figuring out what programs are installed, where in each operating system and launching them. That's a lot of work and work that I have no idea how to begin.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2010, 10:44 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The problem with implementing this is figuring out what programs are installed, where in each operating system and launching them. That's a lot of work and work that I have no idea how to begin.
Might it be possible to have a editors preference area where you point to the editor you wish to use for epub, html, txt, pdf etc... If the user doesn't fill in an option then the "open in editor" feature is ignored or a pop-up with guidance.

I guess if the editor I want to use is a good enough viewer then I could set it up as the default viewer and accomplish the same thing under the current setup.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:17 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You mean ask people to specify the path to the executable? That would be a little onerous for most users, especially on non linux platforms.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:36 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You mean ask people to specify the path to the executable? That would be a little onerous for most users, especially on non linux platforms.
That is what I meant. A browse button so you could find/select the editor of choice. Windows is rife with the feature of selecting executables in this maner to do things. Firefox's application section in options being one example.

Just a thought, as long as I have the Open containing folder feature in calibre I'm good to go. But then I have to right click and select the program I want to use to open the file. Sometimes I even have to select the executable to use.

Thanks for listening.
Advert
Old 07-21-2010, 11:46 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Might it be possible to have a editors preference area where you point to the editor you wish to use for epub, html, txt, pdf etc... If the user doesn't fill in an option then the "open in editor" feature is ignored or a pop-up with guidance.

If you can't figure out (or don't want) to how to set an editor, the the bools remain safe.
Currently, I us "O" to open the folder and right click the file:"open with Sigil"

Another feature I feel would be of use (after a custom format edit):
"Single-Format overwrite lockout" (set/cleared in the Metadata window) that would prevent any Merges, Conversions from (accidentally) stomping all over your hard work
While there, could we show a file timestamp , somehow (balloon tip,overprint format icon) for each format. Not all versions are created at the same time or from the same source file.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:59 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

OK, open a ticket, I'll get to it when I can. I suppose it will be part of allowing users to configure the external viewer per format as well.

@theducks: For a lockout to work will require rather a lot of internal plumbing work, which to me personally, is not worth it. Still some other calibre developer might feel otherwise so open a ticket for it.

Showing timestamps when hovering over a format is an idea that appeals to me and may be not too hard to implement, so open a ticket for that as well.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:42 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
OK, open a ticket, I'll get to it when I can. I suppose it will be part of allowing users to configure the external viewer per format as well.

@theducks: For a lockout to work will require rather a lot of internal plumbing work, which to me personally, is not worth it. Still some other calibre developer might feel otherwise so open a ticket for it.
# 6251 created
Quote:
Showing timestamps when hovering over a format is an idea that appeals to me and may be not too hard to implement, so open a ticket for that as well.
#6252 created

thanks
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:46 PM   #9
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
We Windows lusers aren't totally unfamiliar with the idea of providing paths to external applications. EditPlus, my text/code/html editor of choice, has a provision for that sort of thing. It's more of a power-user feature, of course, but pretty much by definition, people who are editing ebooks rather than just reading them are power users.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:57 PM   #10
fcoulter
Enthusiast
fcoulter began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thank you.
fcoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:56 AM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Ticket #6259 created.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 07-22-2010 at 01:02 AM.