Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-17-2009, 05:08 PM   #1
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Space Odyssey series

I'm currently trying to read my newly acquired Space Odyssey series by Arthur C Clarke.

I've finished 2001 and I'm a third into 2010. I can't understand why on earth he would completely change the setting of the 2nd book (Jupiter instead of Saturn) and use the background/events of the film instead.

In the foreword he does state that the book follows the screen version, but why not just stick to the original story?
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:52 PM   #2
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
As A.C.C. stated in the preface, 2010 wasn't meant to be considered a proper sequel. Some facts he altered as newer information about our solar system became available.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2009, 01:51 AM   #3
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can understand updating some facts, but suddenly jumping from one planet to the other is a bit extreme.

The other thing is the sequence of events in 2001 and those given as background in 2010 differs quite a bit. It follows the movie instead of the first book and can be a bit confusing if you only read the book.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:54 PM   #4
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

When he wrote 2001, I'm not sure if -- at that time -- Europa was considered to be a prime candidate for life like it is now. And the fact that Jupiter is larger than Saturn and has been called, rightly or wrongly, a "failed star" was perfect for his purposes as a plot device in 2010.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:35 PM   #5
Crusader
Space Cadet

I guess that's true. Just caught me a bit by surprise...
Advert
Old 11-18-2009, 05:44 PM   #6
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
I guess that's true. Just caught me a bit by surprise...
It is kind of bizarre to have a sequel that isn't really a sequel, but uses the same characters except that certain events have been altered. It's as if the events in the books took place in nearly-identical parallel universes.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:30 PM   #7
ctol
Groupie
ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Fire Tablet, Windows RT Tablet Windows Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
I'm currently trying to read my newly acquired Space Odyssey series by Arthur C Clarke.

I've finished 2001 and I'm a third into 2010. I can't understand why on earth he would completely change the setting of the 2nd book (Jupiter instead of Saturn) and use the background/events of the film instead.

In the foreword he does state that the book follows the screen version, but why not just stick to the original story?
If you have not done so, as prequels to 2001, you might also want to read The Sentinel and and Encounter In The Dawn. Also the Lost Worlds Of 2001, which describes the collabarations between Clarke and Kubrick on the making of the film.
ctol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:47 PM   #8
Crusader
Space Cadet

Finished 2061 today and must say I enjoyed it very much. I particularly liked that South Africa and South African characters play a major role. Caught me by surprise at first.

I loved this quote:
Quote:
"Afrikaans is one of the world's best languages in which to curse; even when spoken politely, it can bruise innocent bystanders"