Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 10-22-2010, 03:31 PM   #16
cjp
Zealot
cjp began at the beginning.

Device: HP Slate 500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3G+Wi-Fi, Droid
Can the Samsung Galaxy Tab do this?

I am patiently waiting for a great Android tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab is number one on my list) but am so reluctant to have to buy a another data plan. Since I have a Droid (Verizon) - the capabilities of the Archos 101 is intriguing.

"Just plug your mobile phone equipped with 3.5 G & Bluetooth™ technology, simply pair it up to your ARCHOS 101 internet tablet via Bluetooth™ or even via USB cable. This will give you easy access to Internet directly on your device anytime and anywhere. There’s no need to pay an extra fee when you already have a data service plan***. "

Does anyone know if the SGT will be able to do this too?

Last edited by cjp; 10-22-2010 at 07:44 PM.
cjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:37 PM   #17
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp View Post
I am patiently waiting for a great Android tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab is number one on my list) but am so reluctant to have to buy a another data plan. Since I have a Droid (Verizon) - the capabilities of the Archos 101 is intriguing.

"Just plug your mobile phone equipped with 3.5 G & Bluetooth™ technology, simply pair it up to your ARCHOS 101 internet tablet via Bluetooth™ or even via USB cable. This will give you easy access to Internet directly on your device anytime and anywhere. There’s no need to pay an extra fee when you already have a data service plan***. "

Does anyone know if the SGT will be able to do this too?
Samsung Galaxy Tab does have 2 cool features re. connectivity:
a.) Mobile AP. I've used a MiFi for that, now I can do it on Samsung Galaxy. Comes in handy, as I've only got 3 Multi-SIMs and my Dell Streak had to share one with Samsung Galaxy Tab.
Doesn't have MAC filtering, which I normally use. But it does have WPA2.
Working flawlessly.
b.) Tethering. Share your phone's mobile data connection via USB.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2010, 07:43 PM   #18
cjp
Zealot
cjp began at the beginning.

Device: HP Slate 500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3G+Wi-Fi, Droid
Good options - thanks!

Thanks mgmueller - I didn't really think about MiFi since Verizon seems to advance it with their new iPad release (but I'll definitely look at it again) and the USB tether seems....okay, but since that should be easy enough with little hassle - at least for this first year or so, this might be a good solution to avoid the double pay for data plans.

Seriously, does Verizon (or any of the carriers) really expect me to pay for a phone AND a tablet monthly charge?
cjp

Last edited by cjp; 10-22-2010 at 07:47 PM.
cjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:18 PM   #19
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
- Dell Streak is great. But Android 1.6 is no fun at all. Flashing 2.1 from O2 UK did help. But if I compare to 2.2 on Samsung Galaxy, 2.1 is far behind. Given that handicap, Dell Streak can't shine as much as would be possible if I look at its featureset..
There is a stable user 2.2 ROM available for the Streak. For the moment I am happy with 2.1 and if I need flash I can use Skyfire (except for Hulu). The user ROM doesn't have any Dell customizations and 2.1 is very fast already, so I see no need to upgrade now. The official 2.2 should come next month. WiFi range and browsing speeds are quite amazing. Videos look good, music is fine through the headphones. Letters in ebooks are crisp. And the 5" size is still easily pocketable, 7" isn't. And while browsing on a 5" screen there already is so much less zooming and pushing around involved compared to 3.5", it is quite a relief. So my take is if you want one device that does everything quite well, then the 5" is the perfect size. If you want a serious tablet, though, 12" with a full OS seems more like it. The only thing I hate is the typing on touch screens, so for business use, I will definitely keep using my Touch Pro2.

Last edited by HansTWN; 10-22-2010 at 10:20 PM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 03:40 PM   #20
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
What can I say?
Wow!
iPad really got competition.
Apps that have been crashing on Dell Streak are working fine, probably due to 2.2 instead of 2.1.
The display is extremely crisp, the touchscreen as responsive as on iPad.
7" are great. Dell Streak is a bit small for my needs, iPad is extremely bulky. 7" perfectly closes the gap.
I've had bad experiences with Samsung (UMPC), but this may change now...
I too was very interested in the Streak and the Tab, esp the Streak since a 5" phone was a great size, any bigger and the phone is just not portable. What killed the Streak for me is that here in the sates it was an AT&T exclusive. Had it been on other carries I would have gotten it even with it shipping with 1.6. As an aside Dell has pulled the 2.1 update and is claiming to have 2.2 by the end of year.

The Galaxy Tab has really had my interest, I was hoping it would meet the price of the iPad, but it is for some reason more expensive. Hardware wise you are getting more with the GTab but unless your a real techie that is into hardware the difference is not noticeable. Of course there are other HW features like Front Facing Cameras, SD Slots that folks might look at.

I don't' get peoples obsession with a WI-FI only model. It might reduce the price but not by much. Then they will have a device that cannot have a data plan if ever they need to have one. So far every service provider is providing 3 levels daily, monthy, and subscription.

One major advantage that GTab also has over the iPad is that the apps that work on smartphones also work on the GTab. The iPad runs them in compatibility mode (better than nothing but not as good a a fully functional app.

There are rumors of a chrome tablet next year and Samsung has already hinted on the the next hardware the GTab will have (expected next year) all I say is wow next year is going to be a great year for tablets.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2010, 06:34 PM   #21
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Two things put me off the Galaxy Tab.

1) Price.
2) Narrowscreen

(I tend to hold devices in portrait rather than landscape - so widescreen is too narrow for many of my uses.)
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:44 PM   #22
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
The device should definately be compared to a smaller iPad with 3G for price and functionality. I don't think these prices will cut it on today's tablet market. It looks beautiful though. Some people may not like me saying this, but lets be realistic. This device isn't going to win any real market share until it has a compelling price. Being smaller and offering no low-budget version ( a no 3G/plan version) will make it an issue for many just looking for a bigger iPod Touch (a serious market for many people like me looking for their next portable device). I'll believe the success of this device when I see it with my own eyes, but I don't think this will be replacing many iPads, Kindles, Nooks, or whatever device most people are using for entertainment right now. Final verdict: far too expensive and likely to only end up with a small niche market which will have some dedicated users until Samsung pulls a Nokia and cuts support/development on the device out from under the users due to low profitability.

Last edited by ColdSun; 10-24-2010 at 07:48 PM.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:51 AM   #23
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
The wifi-only version is on its way:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/25/g...499-99-sprint/
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:01 AM   #24
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I don't' get peoples obsession with a WI-FI only model. It might reduce the price but not by much. Then they will have a device that cannot have a data plan if ever they need to have one. So far every service provider is providing 3 levels daily, monthy, and subscription.
For me, I simply wouldn't use the 3g functionality enough to merit paying an extra £100 for my ipad and with other tablets supporting tethering etc. there just seems even less benefit with them.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:55 PM   #25
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post

I noticed that, and that is a good thing. This is still a pricey device, but maybe having this lower priced version will help.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:38 PM   #26
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSun View Post
The device should definately be compared to a smaller iPad with 3G for price and functionality. I don't think these prices will cut it on today's tablet market. It looks beautiful though. Some people may not like me saying this, but lets be realistic. This device isn't going to win any real market share until it has a compelling price. Being smaller and offering no low-budget version ( a no 3G/plan version) will make it an issue for many just looking for a bigger iPod Touch (a serious market for many people like me looking for their next portable device). I'll believe the success of this device when I see it with my own eyes, but I don't think this will be replacing many iPads, Kindles, Nooks, or whatever device most people are using for entertainment right now. Final verdict: far too expensive and likely to only end up with a small niche market which will have some dedicated users until Samsung pulls a Nokia and cuts support/development on the device out from under the users due to low profitability.
I heard that Best Buy will be offering a wifi only version for $400, same price as Sprint's 3G versan with 2 year contract.

I have a 3G/4G USB dongle with Time Warner, just need the Android drivers/Connection Manager for and I'd be good to go. I might even hack it and install the PCI Express internally in the tablet to leverage my existing data plan with TW. I would then have one of the only 4G tablets in existence.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:31 PM   #27
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
$500 is too high. Bring it down to $400 and I might consider it.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:52 PM   #28
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post

I thought $500 was too good of a price for 7" Super AMOLED screen. I'm not the only one it seems Endgaget has updated the article to also indicating that they think that is a typo and not a new spec.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:19 PM   #29
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
I heard that Best Buy will be offering a wifi only version for $400, same price as Sprint's 3G versan with 2 year contract.
Opps, I just re-read the article, that's $499; virtually the same price as a wifi only iPad. Thanks Steve for setting the bar so high!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:12 AM   #30
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews

I really love this device, but $500 is too much. I'm sure some folks think it is just fine but if you think in comparison to what you can get for $500 in other devices that just seems high.