Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-25-2009, 09:34 AM   #16
artemisblossom
Groupie
artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony prs505
well at least the B&N employee knew what it was (sigh) I live in Thunder Bay Ontario and was very excited when Future Shop got the Sony Readers in stock. I went twice to check out the prs600. The employees there had no idea what it was or where it was in their store, they knew they had it because it was in the computer. I got sent to every department looking for this item. When I finally did find it they had none on display and the employee couldn`t tell me anything about it. I asked for a manager and he told me he had no display because he did not get approval from corporate to display it. I was not allowed to even open the box. I asked him if he would buy a product he couldnt see and he just said well thats why we have a 30 day money back guarantee. `Needless to say I didn`t buy it. I am going down to Duluth for some shopping tomorrow and I am going to stop into B&N . Based on my experience locally I will just be happy if they have a display lol.
artemisblossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:43 AM   #17
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Surely no one is saying they'd get fired for telling the truth.........
From my own experience, I can tell you that is exactly what I am saying. I was fired many years ago for telling the truth to a superior, not even a customer, and in another job got a poor review because I told a truth that the company didn't want to hear or acknowledge. In the end the revenge was mine (very indirectly). The first company got sold and when the new company did an audit, fired my bosses and offered me a job which I turned down. In the second instance, the company went essentially out of business because, from what I later learned, they continued down the path I had warned against.

Many companies lie to their customers and encourage low-level employees to embellish because it is more important to their way of thinking to get the sale then and there than to retain a lifelong customer.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:27 AM   #18
pbennett
Enthusiast
pbennett began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 500, Amazon Kindle
I just wish B&N would release the manual online for the Nook (like Amazon did). It would answer a lot of our questions. I suspect they're probably still changing it as we speak though.

The one thing that impressed me the least about the Nook while watching the video was the slow page turn speed. It seems very first-generation e-paper - like the Sony 500 where everything is almost a complete wipe. The later Sony's and K2 handle it much better. I guess we'll know next week(?) when they will supposedly have some in stores for demonstration.
pbennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:50 AM   #19
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
before the discovery of fire?
Quote:
Originally Posted by terekkincaid View Post
I think ABBA and Bill the Cat sets it at just about 25 years...
Ah...........the good ole' days......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 01:28 PM   #20
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
So........how far back in the past am I living?
Quote:
Ah...........the good ole' days......
yeah, basically ever since anyone realized that they could get ahead or take advantage of another by lying *sniff*
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:12 PM   #21
binkman71
Enthusiast
binkman71 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.binkman71 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.binkman71 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.binkman71 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505; nook
From the latest FAQ:

"You can go into Barnes & Noble stores and try nook for yourself. Starting on December 7th, you can visit your local Barnes & Noble store and experience nook. All stores will have a demonstration unit for customers to try. "

So the stores won't get them next week either, apparently. As for the user guide:

"Every nook has a User Guide in its Library. "

So, not online, but on your device itself. Which seems odd if it is the only way to get to it...

At any rate, I'll find out next week hopefully if mine actually arrives.

K.
binkman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 11:30 PM   #22
Propheous
Connoisseur
Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook
Well the B&N I was in must have been an exception compared to the one you were in. The employees were relatively knowledgeable on the nook. The only questions I could not get a solid answer on was how many devices can be linked to one account, and how the nook will handle back issues of periodicals. Most other things they were fairly knowledgeable on and they even took the two questions they couldn't answer and took my phone number to call me back on when they got an answer from corporate. Now whether or not I hear from them is another story :P, but it was nice customer service.
Propheous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:41 AM   #23
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propheous View Post
Well the B&N I was in must have been an exception compared to the one you were in. The employees were relatively knowledgeable on the nook. The only questions I could not get a solid answer on was how many devices can be linked to one account, and how the nook will handle back issues of periodicals. Most other things they were fairly knowledgeable on and they even took the two questions they couldn't answer and took my phone number to call me back on when they got an answer from corporate. Now whether or not I hear from them is another story :P, but it was nice customer service.
Assuming that their answers were correct and not simply made up to appease a customer....
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 01:27 PM   #24
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by binkman71 View Post
From the latest FAQ:

"You can go into Barnes & Noble stores and try nook for yourself. Starting on December 7th, you can visit your local Barnes & Noble store and experience nook. All stores will have a demonstration unit for customers to try. "

So the stores won't get them next week either, apparently.
I was in my local B&N yesterday and the manager told me that my store will have nooks tomorrow (i.e., Monday the 30th) at least for demos and hopefully to sell as well. I'm planning to drop in tomorrow with my Sony 505 in hand to compare the two.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 02:30 PM   #25
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I was in my local B&N yesterday and the manager told me that my store will have nooks tomorrow (i.e., Monday the 30th) at least for demos and hopefully to sell as well. I'm planning to drop in tomorrow with my Sony 505 in hand to compare the two.
Yeah, I hope my "kind of" local store (a 40 mile drive) has them before Christmas and remembers to call/email me and let me know when they do get them. I'm probably not going to be buying one, since I got the netbook instead, but I do want to do a hands on and comparison with my EZ Reader.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:55 PM   #26
Propheous
Connoisseur
Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connallmac View Post
Assuming that their answers were correct and not simply made up to appease a customer....
One could assume that, though nothing they said has been contradicted on any of the reviews, hands on experiences, or correspondence with I have had with corporate office. So I have no reason to doubt as yet.
Propheous is offline   Reply With Quote