Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-28-2010, 09:35 PM   #1
GrouchoM
Enthusiast
GrouchoM began at the beginning.

Device: none
Going to buy first ebook device, help needed.

alright guys, I've been browsing this forum for over 2 months now and the time is near, I've waited long enough for the newer models/price cuts but am seriously in need of an ebook device.

I'm in Pakistan right now and was going to buy a ebook reader last year but refrained from buying since I heard many new readers will be announced at CES which will eventually lead to older models selling for cheaper. But so far there hasn't been much change and I can't hold out any longer. Buying books from amazon and even locally is way too expensive, most of the books I want have to be imported and cost a lot more than they would even in the US and UK.

What I need in the device.

Dictionary

A dictionary is a must. Its for me one of the biggest advantages of ebook deices over paper books. I'm sure everyone knows how annoying it is to put a book down to look up a word or writing it down to look it up later. I was thinking of getting the PRS 505 but I think there isn't a dictionary in it. Does anyone know any hack in it that allows for a dictionary and if so how does it work? Probably the only thing keeping me from buying the PRS 300.

PDF support

I will be reading pdfs mostly since I already have a prety good collection, none of almost 96% dont have tables or anything so I need something which can handle pdf novels, nonfiction well.

Reliability

Like I said im in Pakistan and will be getting the reader through a cousin whos coming here this month so I need something that won't break down on me after a month since getting it back to the US willbe costly. And since I might be getting a used device I don't want to be left with a junk in case the thing breaks down. I heard there are a lot of issues with PRS 600 I hope someone can elaborate on this.

Price - $160 to $250

Any advice would be appreciated.
GrouchoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:28 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's a little outside your price range, but I would seriously consider the BeBook Neo / Onyx Boox 60 (they are the same machine). It costs $300, but has significantly better PDF support than the Sony PRS-600, and supports dictionary lookup. I have a fair number of book readers, and the Neo / Onyx is, I think, the best 6" device currently available.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2010, 08:14 AM   #3
A4-
Connoisseur
A4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheese

Device: iRex iLiad v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's a little outside your price range, but I would seriously consider the BeBook Neo / Onyx Boox 60 (they are the same machine). It costs $300, but has significantly better PDF support than the Sony PRS-600, and supports dictionary lookup. I have a fair number of book readers, and the Neo / Onyx is, I think, the best 6" device currently available.
I second that, even tho I don't own it. (If I had cash to spare I would.)

It depends on what you want, portability (5") or a larger screen (6").
5" devices are around $100 cheaper. Sony and Astak have they're 5" readers on sale for another week or so.

Concerning stability/rugidity, the most fragile is the screen, so if you drop the reader you have a good chance of breaking it. Software can almost always be upgraded to fix problems. Sony is really slow on delivering updates of any kind, Astak on the other hand releases them quite often.

I name Astak because after my 'investigation' several months ago, that appeared to be one of the better brands.
A4- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:22 PM   #4
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
K2 works, although I would probably look at a sony unit too.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:42 AM   #5
tablettweet
Connoisseur
tablettweet began at the beginning.

Device: IPad 1&2,IPod Touch 4G, DXG, Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle Touch
How about the Sony reader touch edition, its price has drop from 299 USD to 265 USD.Sony Digital Reader Touch Edition you can purchase eBook from Sony’s “CONNECT” online store, PDFs, plus TXT, RTF, Microsoft Word files, and RSS web feeds compatible, plays MP3 and AAC music files, Built in 512MB internal memory which holds 350 Books and expandable with memory stick. Here is review video good luck.
tablettweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2010, 09:35 PM   #6
GrouchoM
Enthusiast

I was all set on the 600 but I heard it has a lot of issues when it comes to hardware. Freezing screens etc or am I wrong?
Old 03-31-2010, 04:46 PM   #7
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
I had a PRS 600 and used it quite a bit. I never had any problems with it at all. I plan on getting another one.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:44 PM   #8
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What makes the BeBook Neo's PDF support better than the Sony's? (Not questioning that it is; just wondering what features are different.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:24 PM   #9
tofubean
Connoisseur
tofubean is on a distinguished road

Device: K3, iPad, PW
I think people voice out more problems with the sony because more of the sony readers are bought compared to the other devices. It's a risk you have to take regardless of which reader you buy since you do not live in the US. Just weigh the pros and cons. If price and warranty is a big issue, perhaps get a cheaper or used reader.

Although i have a sony reader and i'm perfectly happy with it, i'd recommend you to wait for the ipad to be released to see if you will consider it over eink devices. It will probably support pdf files a lot better and there are bound to be apple resellers in your country so you don't have to worry about warranty. The problem is its pricing and size but there's no perfect solution to your concerns.
tofubean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:41 PM   #10
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
The Boox/Neo has continuous zoom while the zoom on Sony resets with every page change. Ther is a video that shows more of the zoom features. I haven't received my boox yet so I'm sure someone else will chime in and give you more hands-on details.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 04:02 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozennorth View Post
The Boox/Neo has continuous zoom while the zoom on Sony resets with every page change. Ther is a video that shows more of the zoom features. I haven't received my boox yet so I'm sure someone else will chime in and give you more hands-on details.
That's right. On the Sony, every time you turn a page, you have to manually reset the zoom to what you want it to be. On the Neo, set it once for the book and it "sticks".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:46 AM   #12
GrouchoM
Enthusiast

Can that be fixed through an update on Sony?
Old 04-01-2010, 03:35 PM   #13
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
I'm sure it could be done with a firmware update. But I wouldn't hold my breath. Sony isn't exactly known for frequent firmware updates. I would only buy a Sony if I were happy with the features it already has. The only thing they regularly update is their library software.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:55 PM   #14
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
The Pocketbook 301 may be of help, I have a PB 360 and the firmware is flamboyant (both devices share the same firmware BTW). It's a bit over your budget, sadly ($275 in Dulin's Books), but it allows dictionary support which works very fine from what I have experienced in my device; the PDF support is very enhanced with the last update (from nigh-unreadable to really fluid) and the device's firmware (from its hardware I can't speak) is rock solid: only today, a good month after buying my device, had I the first hanging, and they're fixing the firmware's bug which causes it with the promise of having the bug fix ready in a matter of days.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:15 PM   #15
Almas
Addict
Almas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Touch; Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouchoM View Post
I was all set on the 600 but I heard it has a lot of issues when it comes to hardware. Freezing screens etc or am I wrong?
I have a Sony and I have had absolutely no problems with it so far. Just letting you know
Almas is offline   Reply With Quote