Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-10-2009, 11:47 PM   #1
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Replacing the battery

Is there a guide out there for the technically competent - Me - to replace the battery in a PRS-500?
Where can you get the battery - especially in the countries the Sony Reader is not sold in?
Do you need any special tools, or will a screwdriver and a strong constitution do the job?
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:34 AM   #2
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
I've not tried it, but there's this thread about accessing the battery, and Goggle came up with this site offering batteries. No specific knowledge of them - just an example to show there's at least one vendor (other than Sony themselves.)
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2009, 01:47 PM   #3
dedicated
dedicated began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Kindle DX
If you go through the replacement process described, please let us know how it went. I'm curious to your results, as well as where you buy the replacement battery. I found a seller in the UK on eBay but didn't pull the trigger.
dedicated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:55 PM   #4
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Doesn't look any worse than replacing a cmos battery in a notebook computer, liquor helps
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 05:17 PM   #5
Bear100
Bear100 doesn't litterBear100 doesn't litter

Device: none
Although I have not replaced the battery in the Sony 505, I have replaced countless batteries in my power tools, laptops, mp3 players etc. It is simple and you can purchase the batteries for less than half the price sold through normal shops. Here is how.

find out the physical size of the battery H x W x D
find out the voltage, we know for the Sony it is 3.7volts
find out the type of battery for Sony we know it is Li-Ion (you can not mix and match type as the charging ciruits are tied to this)
find out the capcity (in this case it is 850mAh)

then select an appropriate battery to replace, here are two battery only sites:
http://www.batteryspace.com/
http://www.all-battery.com/
purchased from both, good service, great price and they have a forum section if you need help. By the way the 850mAH battery on these sites go from $12 to $20 delivered with tax. The batteries are of the same quality as the original Sony as well.

Now comes the interesting part, with newer technology battery capacity has gone up for the same physical size. Thus if a 850mAH fit in you Sony you might now be able to get in a 1200mAH. What does that mean in practical terms? It means that you will be able to get far longer before charging - in this example almost 50% more. Your Sony, like most high quality devices contains circuits that prevents over charging and over draw of power operating the unit - which means this switch out is safe.

Good luck - with the pictures provided here and some basic mechanical knowledge it is easy.
Bear100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2009, 07:57 AM   #6
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK: We know it's a Sony 3.7V Li-ion battery (850 mAh) but not knowing it's physical size is a impeding element to all this. Anyone got a ruler and a battery handy? The part number LIS1382(J) comes to mind..
Further research suggests some replacements out there are physically slightly smaller than the original. But greater capacity would be more interesting..

Last edited by AprilHare; 03-01-2009 at 08:02 AM.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:27 AM   #7
pactys
pactys began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 500
Can I have the dimensions of the battery?

Thanks

PacTys
pactys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:20 AM   #8
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't know of any dimensions posted, but it seems that the original capacity is 750mA, so personally, I'd be extremely tempted to go with the 850mA batteryship.com offering (link in my earlier post).
Old 03-09-2009, 09:39 AM   #9
pactys
pactys began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 500
Unfortunately I don't live in the States. Importing something is a bit difficult here, so I'd rather prefer to ask a local battery dealer. For this I need thee dimensions.
Can be anybody of help?

Greetings

PacTys
pactys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:04 AM   #10
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
I don't know of any dimensions posted, but it seems that the original capacity is 750mA, so personally, I'd be extremely tempted to go with the 850mA batteryship.com offering (link in my earlier post).
Bear100 indicated above that the original battery is 850mA. The battery in your link is only 750mA. A bit backwards from what you indicate. Quote from your link:
Quote:
Sony Portable Reader PRS-500 Battery Replacement & Tools (battery condition: NEW) 3.7 volts 750mAh, Lithium Polymer
Are there any sources for a 850mA battery?
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:43 AM   #11
gwynevans
Wizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
Bear100 indicated above that the original battery is 850mA. The battery in your link is only 750mA. A bit backwards from what you indicate. Quote from your link:

Are there any sources for a 850mA battery?
Oops, yes, the link is to a 750mA battery...

However, I've had a quick dig around and I can't actually find anything other than the post above that suggests the the original battery is 850mA rather than 750mA! That suggests to me that the while the idea of putting in a larger capacity battery is fine, in practice, you're only going to get another 750mA one...
Old 04-21-2009, 05:46 AM   #12
AprilHare
Wizard

It's been a while and I am getting the sense that the charge capacity on my Sony Reader is slowly diminishing.... anyone got info on that battery dimensions? Anyone?
Old 04-29-2009, 01:08 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
It's been a while and I am getting the sense that the charge capacity on my Sony Reader is slowly diminishing.... anyone got info on that battery dimensions? Anyone?
Here's the link to a new battery...

http://www.batteryship.com/htmlos/ht...der+PRS-505-LC
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote