Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-16-2019, 01:47 AM   #1
Chinauser999
Chinauser999 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterChinauser999 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterChinauser999 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterChinauser999 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterChinauser999 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterChinauser999 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterChinauser999 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterChinauser999 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterChinauser999 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterChinauser999 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterChinauser999 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo H2o Original
Change page numbers

Is it possible to make the page numbers change everytime there is a swipe or tap.
For example it can take up to 3 swipes with the normal Kobo software before a number goes from page 10 to page 11.

from this: page10-page10-page10-page11

to this: page10-page11-page12 like a real book.

It would be nice if there was a way to make the pages change like how Koreader does it.
Chinauser999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 03:18 AM   #2
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Are we talking about epub or kepub? If it's epub, no.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2019, 05:06 AM   #3
Chinauser999
Chinauser999 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterChinauser999 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterChinauser999 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterChinauser999 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterChinauser999 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterChinauser999 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterChinauser999 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterChinauser999 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterChinauser999 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterChinauser999 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterChinauser999 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo H2o Original
Sorry I mean for Epubs.
Chinauser999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 06:28 AM   #4
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinauser999 View Post
Sorry I mean for Epubs.
I'm afraid no....
Old 09-16-2019, 09:25 AM   #5
rosalita
Connoisseur
rosalita began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Forma, Kindle Paperwhite 3
My understanding (someone please correct me if I've gotten this wrong) is that for epubs the page numbers shown in the footer are based on the way Adobe formats epubs and so, depending on how large your screen is, how large the font you're using is, a single page in Adobe's format may take up several pages on your Kobo reader.

With kepubs, the numbering is strictly one-for-one; that is, the number at the bottom reflects the number of page turns needed based on your screen and font size.
rosalita is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2019, 09:29 AM   #6
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosalita View Post
My understanding (someone please correct me if I've gotten this wrong) is that for epubs the page numbers shown in the footer are based on the way Adobe formats epubs and so, depending on how large your screen is, how large the font you're using is, a single page in Adobe's format may take up several pages on your Kobo reader.

With kepubs, the numbering is strictly one-for-one; that is, the number at the bottom reflects the number of page turns needed based on your screen and font size.
You're totally right, I think.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:16 AM   #7
Knightreader
Connoisseur
Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 1. Kobo Forma, 2. Kobo H2O Edition 2 (v1)
Quote:
No, it isn't. The standard is also a calculation from font, font size, line height and display size. And I don't know any hint to set it to numbers according to page turns.
Knightreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 02:20 PM   #8
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:

It was never quite that straightforward. As far as I'm aware, for kepubs prior to fw 4.16.x:
  • If you had your Reading settings set to progress by Chapter then 1-page was equivalent to 1-screen and the number of pages per chapter would be recalculated every time you adjusted the font/font-size/line spacing/margins.
  • OTOH if you had your Reading setting set to progress for Entire Book the total pagecount was calculated, using some unknown mystery algorithm - but probably related to wordcount(*). This total pagecount didn't change every time you adjusted the font/font-size/line spacing/margins.

(*) Wordcount was a different mystery algorithm, e.g. when is 1-word counted as 2-words, or vice versa? Did the algorithm change for different languages?

However, all this is moot, because I think things have changed for fw 4.16 onwards. All will be as clear as mud in the fullness of time.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 03:23 PM   #9
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
However, all this is moot, because I think things have changed for fw 4.16 onwards. All will be as clear as mud in the fullness of time.
For epub too?
Old 09-16-2019, 05:02 PM   #10
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
For epub too?
I don't have many standard epubs on the only device I've updated to 4.16, but it still looks like the same old Adobe page number system to me.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 07:32 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
For epub too?
ePub (RMSDK) uses 1024 compressed bytes equals one page. That's how it works. It's never going to change.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:47 PM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
For the page count in firmware 4.16.x and beyond:
  • ePubs are still using the Adobe RMSDK algorithm. Hence, a page can take more than one screen, or with a small font on a large screen, you could have more than one page.
  • kepubs per-chapter page numbering is unchanged. Each screen is counted as a page. This gets recalculated when you change the font settings.
  • kepub full book page numbering is now using the same method as the per-chapter numbering.

And for the record:
  • Before 4.16.x the kepub full book page numbering was based on 320 words per page.
  • The chapter graph shown in the Reading Progress for kepubs uses the word count.

Last edited by davidfor; 09-17-2019 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Grammar.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 08:43 AM   #13
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
kepub full book page numbering is now using the same method as the per-chapter numbering.
Well, that's a bit annoying. I'm quite used to that number, and have started to depend on it. I'll need to see if Kobo honours EPUB page maps (so I can write a tool to fix the numbering).
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:15 AM   #14
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Bit of a holy war, that ^^.

(I, personally, happen to like the "screen" based approach, as far as reading is concerned. I only ever (vaguely) feel the need for stable page numbers if cross-referencing is needed.)
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:29 AM   #15
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Bit of a holy war, that ^^.

(I, personally, happen to like the "screen" based approach, as far as reading is concerned. I only ever (vaguely) feel the need for stable page numbers if cross-referencing is needed.)
In academic works I greatly prefer it if the page numbers are included in the text. "Bla bla bla. [p. 242] Bla bla bla." Anything else is not only arguably annoying with regard to reading progress, but also makes me insecure as to whether it's actually displaying the proper page number or not, what is part of which page, etc.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote