Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-24-2013, 05:54 AM   #1
Taike
Taike is a marvel to beholdTaike is a marvel to beholdTaike is a marvel to beholdTaike is a marvel to beholdTaike is a marvel to beholdTaike is a marvel to beholdTaike is a marvel to beholdTaike is a marvel to beholdTaike is a marvel to beholdTaike is a marvel to beholdTaike is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Nook Simple Touch, Ipad 3
Nook Simple Touch wall charger for Kobo Aura HD?

Just received my Kobo Aura HD! Can I use the Nook Simple Touch wall charger for the Aura HD?

Cheers

Taike
Taike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:49 AM   #2
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I'd say yes. I have a USB wallwart that says Nook on it (it was from a Simple Touch), and it has a USB cable with a Logitech label on it. I've used it to charge an Aura HD (and Glo and Touch).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2013, 06:59 AM   #3
Taike
Taike is a marvel to beholdTaike is a marvel to beholdTaike is a marvel to beholdTaike is a marvel to beholdTaike is a marvel to beholdTaike is a marvel to beholdTaike is a marvel to beholdTaike is a marvel to beholdTaike is a marvel to beholdTaike is a marvel to beholdTaike is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Nook Simple Touch, Ipad 3
Thanks for the swift reply, John. That's good to know.

Taike
Taike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:37 AM   #4
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
Any USB charger with a micro-usb cable will work to charge the Aura HD. The Aura HD will attempt to draw up to 800ma from the charger, but it will fall back to 500ma if it can't get 800. The charging time will be longer with a lower current, but it won't hurt anything.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:23 PM   #5
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJames View Post
Any USB charger with a micro-usb cable will work to charge the Aura HD. The Aura HD will attempt to draw up to 800ma from the charger, but it will fall back to 500ma if it can't get 800. The charging time will be longer with a lower current, but it won't hurt anything.
It should also mean that your battery lasts longer, if charged at the lower rate. I charge my AuraHD using a 500ma USB charger and it isn't that much slower to charge. I haven't actually timed it and do not sit and watch it charge so if there is a difference, I haven't noticed.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2013, 09:22 PM   #6
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
It should also mean that your battery lasts longer, if charged at the lower rate.
Really? I don't doubt you, Ken, but why is that true? And by lasting longer, do you mean it will last for more charge-discharge cycles, or that it will give longer life on each cycle? Thanks!
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:27 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
Really? I don't doubt you, Ken, but why is that true? And by lasting longer, do you mean it will last for more charge-discharge cycles, or that it will give longer life on each cycle? Thanks!
If Ken means "longer before it has to be replaced", then yes. But it probably isn't noticeable at the rates were talking about. And it is possible the ereader has limits the charging current to a maximum no matter what the available input.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:39 PM   #8
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
If Ken means "longer before it has to be replaced", then yes. But it probably isn't noticeable at the rates were talking about. And it is possible the ereader has limits the charging current to a maximum no matter what the available input.
Right, "longer before it has to be replaced". The difference in the battery's useful life, from charging at 500mw vs. 800mw would be significant, but what the actual numbers would be, I have no idea. As it is these batteries seem to last a long time, and I suspect that the amount of use has a similar effect on the battery's longevity, heavy use having an effect much like higher current more rapid charging.

The "why it is", relates to the effect of heat on the electro chemical process, the current used to charge most batteries creates some internal heating, by necessity, and the more current the more heat. While more current can speed up the charging process it also does more damage to the cell, and speeds its inevitable demise. Less current and more time will achieve the same level of charge, with less damage to the cell.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 09-24-2013 at 11:56 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:20 PM   #9
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Thank you, Ken! Fascinating!
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote