Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-21-2010, 04:55 AM   #1
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Doing away with long dashes

I'm working on a little project which has exactly 1179 long dashes. None of them are needed, so I would like to know how I can subsitute them with a space.

Thanks in advance.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:02 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Forgive the obvious question, but why can you not simply do a search and replace?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 06:54 AM   #3
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Because the "space" character is not recognized as such. Nothing happens if I just click on "replace" having a long dash in the search field and a blank space in the lower field.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:10 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, I see the problem!

You could try replacing it with the HTML character code for a space, which is "" (without the quotes). That should work, too.

EDIT: Sorry, that didn't work for some reason. The value is (without the spaces):

& # 2 0 ;
Old 03-21-2010, 09:49 AM   #5
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Use the replace-all, Logseman. Enter the long dash in the top window and in the replace-with window enter space x space. Then go back and simply remove that isolated x. Voila. Cheers. Neil

PS: If you find you've accidentally left too much space, simply go back to replace-all. Enter two spaces in the top window and one space in the lower window. N
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:47 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

But the OP said that using "space" as the replace text didn't work, Neil.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:16 PM   #7
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It works that way, Harry, though you can't replace a letter or punctuation with a space. I use it every day because many writers (especially in the US) tend to leave two spaces after a full stop (period) and I have to lose thousands of those extra spaces in almost every manuscript I work on. Of course, I'm guessing that Logseman is working in Word. Cheers. Neil
Old 03-21-2010, 02:25 PM   #8
Logseman
Orisa

I'm working on Sigil (that's why this post is here) and it's my maiden project, as you may well notice In my case, it's a Project Gutenberg ePub file, a theater piece I'm editing (Emilia Galotti, a short German classic). Once I do away with the dashes it'll be almost ready to publish here in MR, though I'll still need to validate it, another thing I'd like to ask how to do.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:29 AM   #9
neilmarr
neilmarr

Woops. Sorry for the muddle, Logseman. Good luck. Neil