Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: What do you like to listen to when reading?
I don't enjoy listening to music when I read 33 48.53%
Classical 19 27.94%
Zen/Meditaion 7 10.29%
Nature Sounds 9 13.24%
Jazz 6 8.82%
Popular music (Rock, Country, Pop, etc.) 6 8.82%
Talk radio 0 0%
Other: Please tell us! 13 19.12%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-21-2014, 05:55 PM   #1
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Music for reading

Do you listen to music while reading? If so, what type music do you enjoy listening to? Does it help relax you? Does it improve your memory? Does it enhance your reading experience?

I don't know why discovering listening to music while reading came as a big surprise to me. I've done it often enough, but I've never made a deliberate effort to combine two of my favorite pastimes. I do know one of my favorite places to read is while laying in hammock while camping in the mountains; preferably near a brook.

I am vary curious how others combine the two?

Samples of various reading music:
Nature Sounds
Classical Reading Music
Meditation/Zen Music
Jazz
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:22 PM   #2
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Sometimes I want absolute silence when reading.

When listening to music, I listen to anything as long as it is not loud and doesn't have any vocals. It can range from David Arkenstone's New Age soundscape stuff to Classical, to the grooviness of Booker T. And The MG's.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:47 PM   #3
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
I always have music playing except when I'm watching tv. This includes when I'm sleeping - if the music goes out, I wake up. I listen to internet radio stations - usually either Metal Assault or Death Metal.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:55 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
More towards new age, but whatever it is, it must not be a kind the wants your attention.
Toe tap'n music is an example of the attention wanting kind.
The music should mask other distractions without becoming one
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:25 PM   #5
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
I have my mp3 player hooked up to my audio gear and listen to all of my favorite songs all day long including when I'm reading.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:56 PM   #6
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
Yes, I find music helps me focus. I always listen to music while reading and any other time I can (meaning my husband is not in the room)--including working. I listen to all varieties of rock, and have recently started listening to classical. Familiar music is best if I need to concentrate, but silence is intolerable. I usually fall asleep with music on but don't have it on all night. When my husband is away I usually have at least four of my Squeezeboxes sync'd and playing the same music throughout the house. It's glorious! I find listening to film scores is very enjoyable for enhancing the reading experience.
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:02 PM   #7
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
When I listen to music, I LISTEN to music. My poor brain can do only one thing at a time. I can't read with any kind of background noise, be it music, conversation, TV, barking dogs, etc.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:03 PM   #8
barutanseijin
Nxfgrrjks
barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: aura hd
I can usually read in environments with music that i don't choose, such as in a cafe. It doesn't matter what the music is, i can usually tune it out. If i'm at home, i prefer silence.
barutanseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:05 PM   #9
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I can read almost anywhere, with almost anything going on around me. But, when I have the choice, I have a seat in the living room and listen to Space/Electronic/Ambient music, not too loud. Examples would be anything by Jonn Serrie, Gert Emmens, David Wright (English musician, not American baseball player), etc. I have one album by a musician I first heard last year, Field Drawings by Ryan Teague, that has been getting a lot of play. Also, I'm within range of WXPN's (FM station in Philadelphia) signal and I listen to the Stars End program while reading. (WXPN can be heard online, but I don't believe Stars End is archived, so you have to listen during the show's broadcast hours.)

Last edited by cromag; 02-21-2014 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Spelling, of course!
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:28 PM   #10
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I generally prefer classical music without words, though some choral music in Latin is ok. I like music especially if I'm reading while out and there are conversations around me. It doesn't mystically fine-tune my brain, it just screens out other sounds.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 01:04 AM   #11
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
The voice of Frank Sinatra goes with everything.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 02:06 AM   #12
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I voted Classical and Zen/Meditation. I usually read in silence, but when I do have music in the background, it is either mellow classical music (Beethoven's 5th Symphony or Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries would hardly do for reading) or new age/space/meditation music.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:02 AM   #13
CBG
CBG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CBG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CBG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CBG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CBG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CBG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CBG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CBG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CBG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CBG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CBG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Libra
I recently tried reading with Hans Zimmers filmscores going through earbuds - it greatly helps setting the mood and filtering out TV and whatever else the girls are doing in the house.
CBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:27 AM   #14
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by barutanseijin View Post
I can usually read in environments with music that i don't choose, such as in a cafe. It doesn't matter what the music is, i can usually tune it out. If i'm at home, i prefer silence.
This. Don't need music to filter anything else out. When I read I'm already offline for the world around me.

When I listen to music I do exactly that and focus on the music (and lyrics within)
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:59 AM   #15
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
I like listening to music when I read. I prefer something like Amethystium which I think falls under the Zen/Meditation, or it might go under Techno.

And I also like Enya or Classical. Thank goodness for Pandora!
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote