Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-23-2006, 10:57 PM   #1
jimbobuk
jimbobuk began at the beginning.

How easy is it to take apart?

I've posted about this in a couple of threads where at first it felt most relevant.. now i thought i'd start a new one as i'm left with only 2 options,

i) leave the reader as is.. its still fully functional.
ii) try to repair it myself.

The original thread is here

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...2272#post52272

Where I stupidly took the initial thread revelation of needing to press the power button, and the fact that I could see no other holes to stick a paper clip in (it was still in its case), and i didn't have a manual to hand.. i ended up sticking the paper clip in the hole next to the power switch.. i'd forgotten that just earlier that was what was telling me if it was being charged etc.. ie. an LED hole.. anyways i pressed around in there gently feeling for a press switch.. i could feel how the power button interacted with the hole a bit and in the end i pushed it too much and the power button is now a bit sticky and doesn't return to the top..

I've clearly pushed the spring off of a lever, or possibly broken something that it was connected to.. hopefully the former would lead to a quick fix as it'd be a case of just putting it back on again.. the latter would be unfixable.

I'm in the UK so cannot return it, its arguable whether or not sony would swop it anyways.. i COULD return it but it would likely involve hassles, and potentially shipping, import duty charges.

As it is still fully functional, just a bit stiffer to operate and you HAVE to manually slide it back up for the switch operation to be registered i dont think i will return it.

I wont take it apart unless i could see some pictures and hear stories of people who have done it and survived.. and crucially whether if when apart its not full of things that are just itching to jump out of place, like the afore mentioned spring.

Aside from initial stupidness, due to being in a rush and it being late.. i'm reasonably handy inside these kind of things.. i've altered the alignment on my rangefinder camera's rangefinder.. and have also swopped the hdd inside my old creative jukebox3, a fairly delicate process involving you holding the motherboard/screen whilst you tease out and replace the hdd on the back.

Thanks for your help again.. i'm going to sleep and be angry with myself now.. ARRRGH!!!
jimbobuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 11:12 PM   #2
jimbobuk

i knew i'd seen SOME pics of the internals.. managed to find it.. just add the link here

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...attery+replace

Doesn't look TOO offensive giving easy access to the power switch slider bottom right.. i reckon i'll have to give it a go tomorrow.. GULP..

Last edited by jimbobuk; 12-24-2006 at 05:05 AM.
Advert
Old 12-24-2006, 05:18 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Best of luck, Jimbo. Please let us know how it went! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. It's especially awkward for those of us outside the US who have no easy way to return the Reader for repair.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 10:09 AM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
You probably just popped the spring off the slider switch, jimbobuk, it's not that difficult to get back on (as long as you didn't actually break anything ), just a little finicky is all.

As for taking it apart. You'll need to remove all the screws you see on the outside (including the bottom edge), and the ones you see in the card slot. I think one of the disassemblers who posted pix described that in some detail.

The only really tricky part about putting it back together is getting the screws near the magnets back into their holes, the magnets want to grab them away, you see. Needle-nosed pliers are a big help there.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 01:24 PM   #5
jimbobuk

phew.. I've fixed it.

Wasn't exactly easy, frustratingly i don't have a good phillips (cross headed) screwdriver of that size so was forced to use a flat bladed one that had a small chip in it making it small enough to fit into one of the slots.. made it hard work, and it grinds the head down a bit.. i MUST get a good pair of tiny screwdrivers, always a problem when you need them.

I had pushed the plastic LED light conduit out of its hole, which had kinked the spring and made it sticky... i'll attach a couple of pictures i took.. thanks for the other pictures and advice on that thread above.. felt vaguely safe knowing where i was going with those instructions.

If i'd had a decent screwdriver then it would have gone much smoother.

I'll check to make sure everything is working but i think its all ok.

Thanks for your help guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reader_broken.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	368.1 KB
ID:	2517   Click image for larger version

Name:	reader_fixed.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	328.0 KB
ID:	2518  
Advert
Old 12-24-2006, 05:12 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good show, jimbobuk! I'm glad that it could be re-aligned so easily.

Congratulations on a successfull surgery.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:46 PM   #7
lint
Enthusiast
lint has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader
good job jimbobuk. i think you and me (i took the pics in the referenced thread) are the only ones who have taken our readers apart! not too hard...side bumpers i found to be VERY fragile

-lint
lint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 03:21 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Wonderful news to start Christmas day with. Well done!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 10:04 AM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lint
good job jimbobuk. i think you and me (i took the pics in the referenced thread) are the only ones who have taken our readers apart! not too hard...side bumpers i found to be VERY fragile

-lint
Nope, I'm guilty of that too.

Hmm. Maybe that'd be a good poll question.

edit: Here you go: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9154

Last edited by NatCh; 12-25-2006 at 10:10 AM. Reason: adding link to poll
Old 12-25-2006, 10:16 PM   #10
jimbobuk

lint, thanks again for your initial thorough set of pictures and instructions.. they really helped me get through to christmas day without utter dismay at my fumblings ruining a present before it was given.

Playing on memory here, at the end of christmas day with the birds about to sing in the boxing day morning, but one correction would be you said there were 4 screws on each sides once the edges were removed.. i believe there are actually only 3... it did have me scanning quite closely for the missing screws

Those edge bumpers were fragile.. at one point trying to get them back in (on the side with the power and volume switches) i had the top of one flexed quite severly as it was all not fitting together properly.. spotting the latches needed the bottom (with the power and volume button) to go on with the bumper as far up as possible, only to the then slide the bumper down to properly latch into the reader and allow the top of the bumper to fit in more easily - really helped avoid this and NOT snap it trying to force it.. as ever with these things, nothing ever needs really forcing if its all aligned properly.

Beyond that the memory card cover gave me some pain, and i dont think i quite got the screws in right for that.. one screw had a collar, to go away from the cover hinge i think and press onto the raised lip in the screwhole.. i did try putting this in the other way round and couldn't get the screw in the screw hole because of the cover's plastic flexible hinge. I think i've left those screws not exactly far in as my poor screwdrivers offered me no real grip when resistance increased.

Anyways i've added to the poll.. I don't think many would take it apart just for the hell of it

Hope you all had, are having a great xmas.. laters.
Old 12-25-2006, 10:24 PM   #11
jimbobuk

Lint, you're not the only pioneer (with pics) to do something as crazy.. here's me giving advice on how i kind of managed to align the rangefinder in my (then) $4000 digital rangefinder camera (epson R-D1)

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=18901

I know thats helped a lot of people since, and at the time i was going relatively blind with it in pieces.. disassembly was more fiddly but at least most of the item stayed together.

Anyway enough OT