Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-31-2009, 08:07 AM   #1
QuantumAge
QuantumAge began at the beginning.

Device: none
Smile Ebook reader math books!!!

Hi folks,

I don't know much about ebook readers and therefore I'm asking for your advise. I'm searching for an ebook capable of reading PDF, DJVU and scanned books (all my books are math books). I also prefer a touch screen for taking notes.

Thx a lot
Rémon

P.S. I'm living in Belgium
QuantumAge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:06 AM   #2
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Hi Rémon, welcome to MR!

I don't really have any advice, so I'm going to let others answer your questions. But I wanted to let you know that there's an "Introduce Yourself" forum--if you post a message there, you'll likely get a better welcome from the friendly folks around here.
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2009, 10:43 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The iRex DR1000S will let you read and annotate PDF books; it's really the only device currently on the market that will let you display and annotate A4/Letter sized PDFs, although many more large-screen devices should become available during 2010.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:24 PM   #4
QuantumAge
QuantumAge began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The iRex DR1000S will let you read and annotate PDF books; it's really the only device currently on the market that will let you display and annotate A4/Letter sized PDFs, although many more large-screen devices should become available during 2010.
Thx, but the IREX is way too expensive for me
QuantumAge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 02:58 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That's regretable, but unfortunately it is the only current device that will do what you want .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2010, 12:24 PM   #6
MLDaeni
MLDaeni began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 301+
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumAge View Post
Thx, but the IREX is way too expensive for me
I understand your quest (I did the same a month ago!) Now I use the Pocketbook 301+ with good results. It has no annotations, nor a touch screen, but:
- Great screen with no glares (unlike my previous Sony PRS600)
- Great PDF viewers (two of them) with autocrop margins
- Manual zoom
- Two columns mode that really works! (you can actually read A4 papers)
- Never crushed on me with very complex documents (equations, graphs, diagrams, tables)
- Excellent dejaview viewer

For some screenshots see the Pocketbook forums.

In landacape mode it is quite nice. Many of my books are also math and I am happy with it. Sure, an 8" screen would be better but also more expensive, much bulkier and not very comfortable to travel with. The perfect reader does not exist; right now your parameters are: price, features, convenience and mobility.

Concerning the look, nothing to brag about: it's another EB-600 clone, but the firmware it's all that makes the difference. Good look in your choice.

Last edited by MLDaeni; 01-01-2010 at 12:29 PM.
MLDaeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 04:33 AM   #7
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumAge View Post
Hi folks,

I don't know much about ebook readers and therefore I'm asking for your advise. I'm searching for an ebook capable of reading PDF, DJVU and scanned books (all my books are math books). I also prefer a touch screen for taking notes.

Thx a lot
Rémon

P.S. I'm living in Belgium
If you can...wait a few weeks to see what shakes out from CES. As for math texts I have long hoped for an ebook device for math and science areas of study. I am going to say you will be happier with a larger format reader, at least a 10" (9.7") panel...but you are going to be looking at the $300-$600 price range. You might even be better off with one of the announced (well only one has been officially announced) slate PC devices using the Pixel Qi panel for under $500.

It's just the nature of the documents in both complexity as well as the physical size needed to see the whole page in larger enough fonts to be read easily.

New things are coming and we all know it, we just don't know exactly what is going to come out...this waiting is more agonizingly delicious than staring at gifts under the tree for a couple weeks... but really, if you have waited this long, give it a few weeks yet. I also expect pricing on existing devices to drop as the new devices being hitting the market.

I expect interesting things from Pocketbook and the 302 will have a touch panel just not a Wacom panel which I feel is important to serious use as a research tool. And the Wacom panels for readers seem to be dropping in price quite rapidly. Just the other day in the News & Comments section there was a new tablet device running Android with a Wacom touch interface for under $500. I know it's still a LOT of cash but my point is prices are dropping and features are starting to reach the point where very solid devices will be in the $300-$400 price range with some form of wireless, mobile broadband and a Wacom because to get the clarity and avoid the glossy panels Wacom is about the only option mfg's seem to want to use even though there are dozens of other options which they could select.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote