Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-11-2015, 05:58 PM   #1
mokayak
mokayak began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo mini
Python on mini, dies on import library

Trying to run Python for the first time on a Kobo mini.

I've backed up the SD card, installed telnet and python OK; I can do "Hello world". But Python dies silently if I attempt to import a library, anything other than 'sys'.

Is there an obvious gotcha?

Code:
[root@(none) ~]# python
Python 2.7.2 (default, Feb  4 2012, 12:18:06) 
[GCC 4.4.5] on linux2
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> import sys
>>> sys.path
['', '/mnt/onboard/.python/lib/python27.zip', '/mnt/onboard/.python/lib/python2.7', '/mnt/onboard/.python/lib/python2.7/plat-linux2', '/mnt/onboard/.python/lib/python2.7/lib-tk', '/mnt/onboard/.python/lib/python2.7/lib-old', '/mnt/onboard/.python/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload', '/mnt/onboard/.python/lib/python2.7/site-packages']
>>> import pygame,os
[root@(none) ~]#
it died!

Code:
>>> import pygame,os
[root@(none) ~]# python
Python 2.7.2 (default, Feb  4 2012, 12:18:06) 
[GCC 4.4.5] on linux2
>>> import urllib2
[root@(none) ~]#
It died again!

In other words, attempting to import sys works; attempting to import either of the two libraries used by weather.py fails immediately, and stops python.

The above is from python shell, but the same happens in python scripts.

I've tried deleting the .pyo and .pyc files for urllib2; then running the script that attempts to "import urllib2" again. The files were recreated, Python halted again.

I'm hoping this is something obvious that I'm doing wrong.... what would it be? Any suggestions for how I can move forward?

(Mini firmware is 3.4.1, btw.)

Many thanks!
mokayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:52 AM   #2
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
Hmm, did you try this version of Python?
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2015, 05:46 PM   #3
mokayak
mokayak began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo mini
Hi Kevin, thanks so much for replying.

I copied the contents of that package over the /mnt/onboard/.python folder (that was created by installing your weather package), and it's definitely got me further.

Running my test script (which interpolates print statements between the first half-dozen lines of weather.py) now gets as far as the second one, i.e. it succesfully executes "import urllib2", which it previously dies on. Although it still dies on "import pygame, os".

But first things first - before getting that far, it reports two errors. Same thing occurs going to shell:

Code:
[root@(none) koboWeather]# python
Error processing line 1 of /mnt/onboard/.python/lib/python2.7/site-packages/._easy-install.pth:

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/mnt/onboard/.python/lib/python2.7/site.py", line 156, in addpackage
      if not dircase in known_paths and os.path.exists(dir):
    File "/mnt/onboard/.python/lib/python2.7/genericpath.py", line 18, in exists
      os.stat(path)
  TypeError: must be encoded string without NULL bytes, not str

Remainder of file ignored
Error processing line 1 of /mnt/onboard/.python/lib/python2.7/site-packages/._setuptools.pth:

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/mnt/onboard/.python/lib/python2.7/site.py", line 156, in addpackage
      if not dircase in known_paths and os.path.exists(dir):
    File "/mnt/onboard/.python/lib/python2.7/genericpath.py", line 18, in exists
      os.stat(path)
  TypeError: must be encoded string without NULL bytes, not str

Remainder of file ignored
Python 2.7.5 (default, Aug  1 2013, 23:18:00) 
[GCC 4.6.3] on linux2
>>>
Can you point me in the right direction (apologies, I'm a Python noob as well as a Kobo noob).

Thanks for all you help,

Ben
mokayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 11:45 AM   #4
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's a step in the right direction.

Copying the new python installation over the existing one might not be the best idea. I'd recommend deleting python entirely and then re-installing. There's a chance that some files from the old python install are interfering with the new python version.

When it dies importing pygame and os, is it still completely quiet or is it printing an error?
Old 04-05-2015, 02:02 PM   #5
nubble
nubble has learned how to read e-booksnubble has learned how to read e-booksnubble has learned how to read e-booksnubble has learned how to read e-booksnubble has learned how to read e-booksnubble has learned how to read e-booksnubble has learned how to read e-booksnubble has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Hi,
I also have a mini with firmaware 3.4.1 and have telnet and the python environment installed as per Kevins thread.
I can import os, pygame and sys.

I am new to Kobo development [just bought a mini 3 days ago and started trolling the forums for hacking and developing my own "apps" on the kobo]

I'd like to use python and pyside for the "app" that get data/info over a network /tcp [from a raspberry pi ] and displays it in the gui/qt widgets of the app. I think the kobo mini is ideal for a home automation display unit.

I have seen Marek mention that python and pyside can be used for drawing to the eink display. This is the piece of the puzzle I have not managed to see yet on the mobilereads forum. Is there a forum thread for this or come sample code? Pls help.

Thanks in advance
Jason
nubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2015, 11:02 AM   #6
KevinShort
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubble View Post
I have seen Marek mention that python and pyside can be used for drawing to the eink display. This is the piece of the puzzle I have not managed to see yet on the mobilereads forum. Is there a forum thread for this or come sample code?
The Kobo devices have a linux framebuffer, so Qt can draw to it no problem. The big thing you have to worry about is refreshing the e-ink screen. Even if you draw to the screen with Qt, if you don't refresh the e-ink display you won't see anything on your Kobo.

There are a few threads in this forum with code to refresh the e-ink display. You can find compiled binaries ready to run in my original python package for Kobo. Someone posted source code for refreshing the display in this forum as well.