Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 07-10-2008, 02:21 PM   #46
Kaero
Kaero began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWLaRue View Post
Any idea how this real-world test compares to the power consumption numbers Kaero provided? Does the power draw when idle, mapped against the AmpHr of the battery yield a number close to the real-world numbers?
-Jeff
Be patient, I will try to think a bit (it is not painless ) and recompute the results. Now, I think it is not so simple, because the biggest problem was offset, thus low power consumption was measured with greater uncertainty... Unfortunately I am too busy right now, so be patient please.
(and I should re-measure the consumption without sd card as I promised).
Kaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 02:25 PM   #47
Kaero

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
50% after 148 hours and dead after 158 hours with 538. So with the Cybook in library mode the result is:
  • 538: 148-158 hours
  • 685: 44-45 hours
  • 708: 72-82 hours
Thanks for data! ( I am metrologist by heart and profession, so I would suggest to measure everything once again, but I know it is too much )
Advert
Old 07-10-2008, 03:19 PM   #48
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaero View Post
Thanks for data! ( I am metrologist by heart and profession, so I would suggest to measure everything once again, but I know it is too much )
I was thinking about redoing the 708 version to eliminate possible errors... But I think I will keep 538 since i will travel soon.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:49 PM   #49
BKeeper
Groupie
BKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle PW
I have a new Gen3 (lets call it Gen3.512).

My old screen suddenly died (while in the case...). Conclusion 1: e-ink screens are excessively frail.

While amazon is replacing kindles under the same circumstances, bookenn won't.
Long story short, I got a new Gen3 with FW708. And I can assure you battery life is nowhere near what it was before.

After just one afternoon reading, it's down to 90%.

Since I can't go back to 538 I just hope Bookeen will solve this ASAP once and for all.

@Tom: any news from bookeen since your last mail?
BKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 02:55 PM   #50
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No response from Bookeen but I never get response on bug reports or suggestions to enhancement. Not even when I explicitly asks for a confirmation that they have got the email.
Advert
Old 09-13-2008, 05:20 PM   #51
Kaero

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKeeper View Post
I have a new Gen3 (lets call it Gen3.512).

My old screen suddenly died (while in the case...). Conclusion 1: e-ink screens are excessively frail.

While amazon is replacing kindles under the same circumstances, bookenn won't.
Long story short, I got a new Gen3 with FW708. And I can assure you battery life is nowhere near what it was before.

After just one afternoon reading, it's down to 90%.

Since I can't go back to 538 I just hope Bookeen will solve this ASAP once and for all.

@Tom: any news from bookeen since your last mail?
Hmm, the percent meter is not accurate. It is adjusting after few cycles of charging and discharging of battery.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:35 PM   #52
Kaero

New measurements

Hi all. Sorry for the long delay, PhD thesis and girlfriend is a deadly combination (especially time-deadly ).

Anyway I made new measurements, see the new version of the file:
http://www.physics.muni.cz/~sira/Cyb...ption_v1.1.pdf

I found some errors in my previous file. Hopefully I avoided any others in the new version. In the short about the 796 software version:
- the influence of the SD card is minimal
- the consumption of pagedown action is reduced (about 4500 flips versus 3000 of previous version of the software - it is extrapolation! but the ratio should be OK)
- Tompe measurements is in good agreement with my extrapolations (many thanks!)
- the consumption of power off is reduced
- the consumption of sleeping mode of processor is still the same, so I think still some problems in the sleeping mode comparing to the 538 version (but I never had this version).

Enjoy reading, press hard on the Cybook company to wipe out all errors (principially impossible, even one line software is faulty ).
Old 09-14-2008, 09:22 AM   #53
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Is my math correct that power off/power on and book load energy consumption is equal to 14.3 minutes of leaving the GEN3 in sleeping mode?

Power Cycle = 5.28 + 23.37 + 5.66 = 34.31 J
Average Energy Consumpution in sleep mode for 1 sec = 0.04 Watt
Seconds = Joules / Watts = 34.31 / 0.04 = 857 Seconds
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 02:26 PM   #54
Kaero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
Is my math correct that power off/power on and book load energy consumption is equal to 14.3 minutes of leaving the GEN3 in sleeping mode?

Power Cycle = 5.28 + 23.37 + 5.66 = 34.31 J
Average Energy Consumpution in sleep mode for 1 sec = 0.04 Watt
Seconds = Joules / Watts = 34.31 / 0.04 = 857 Seconds
Yes, correct, with firmware version 708. With 796 it is about 12 minutes. Also, the energy to load a book slightly depends on the format and probably size of the book.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:30 PM   #55
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Measurements for 802

I did my measurements for firmware 802 (the one you get in a replaced unit). The unit was on all the time and in library mode.

Total time: 3 days, 20 hours

Battery indicator:

24 h: 100%
48 h: 80%
72 h: 70%
83 h: 50%
90 h: 20%
91 h: 10%
92 h: Unit dead

And if somebody wonder why I keep it on all the time it is because my boot time is 40-50 seconds (and I consider 25 second to be to long also). Could somebody else test the boot time on 802 (or other firmware) to see what they get? I have only 286 items on the device.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:46 PM   #56
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Boot time is 42 seconds for me with 214 items. I'm running build 796.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 02:20 AM   #57
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Boot time is (only) 25 seconds for me with (again only) 29 items. I'm running build 796.
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 02:43 AM   #58
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
Couldn't resist timing my own boot time after seeing all this. It's 28 seconds for 122 items on build 796

The battery meter drops to 90% after half an hour or so, but then seems to stay there for a while - though the device isn't permanently on. I keep ruining any test of battery indicator though by plugging the thing into the PC to load more books so it gets charged again.
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 03:05 AM   #59
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Model 512, build 796, 327 items. No SD card
After the a couple of time booting and some Deep Thought I came up with the Ultimate Answer: 42 seconds

So it seems that the more items the longer the boot time.

Last edited by Ortep; 12-12-2008 at 03:08 AM.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 05:10 AM   #60
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortep View Post
So it seems that the more items the longer the boot time.
That's unquestionably true. It probably does a scan of the library as it starts up.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, consumption, energy