Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-03-2012, 11:05 PM   #1
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
What if there is no new Kindle with 3G?

What if Amazon decided not to make any new Kindles with 3G connectivity? The company surely incurs added cost in engineering and continued wireless fees, expenses which it could avoid with Wi-Fi only.

Just musing aloud...
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:24 PM   #2
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
They already have taken out browsing capability for new Kindles over a 3G connection. They could save money by not having a 3G capability on new Kindles, even for purchasing books, but that would leave those without WiFi access out in the cold. Eliminating 3G for purchasing books might cost them a lot more than having 3G for purchasing books, because without 3G, there are a lot of people who just would buy less books.

Do other company's readers have 3G? If so, people might just switch readers if they dropped 3G entirely.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2012, 11:42 PM   #3
detayls
Addict
detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle Voyage
No more 3G. Bet on it.
detayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:09 AM   #4
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
The premium paid for a 3G touch should cover the tech and operating costs for the average Kindle user. I would miss it (having just downloaded a Kindle daily deal in an airport security line - Stan Barstow's magnificent A Kind of Loving for 99p, another p book heads to Oxfam!) but it would not be a show stopper. WiFi is pretty ubiquitous now, I would have had to wait ten more minutes if I hadn't had 3G.
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:27 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This is not "News"; moved to "General Discussions".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2012, 07:26 AM   #6
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Yes, there will be a new 3G Kindle with a front light.

The US State Dept Kindle contract specified 3G ebook readers. The contract is currently in limbo but it was very much alive when the upcoming Kindles were being designed.

Given that Kindles are sold worldwide and wifi is not ubiquitous *everywhere*, it follows that even a limited batch of 3G Kindles is needed for full market coverage.
They may get priced on the high side but they'll be offered.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:35 AM   #7
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Of course there will be a 3G Kindle. Amazon isn't going to make it *harder* for anyone to buy a book. And a lot of people don't have wifi, particularly in the non-techie e-book demographic.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:51 AM   #8
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Kindle without 3G? Impossible. At least for this year.

I am looking forward to new kindle, only because I can download my books anywhere. It would be a dealbreaker for me.
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:57 AM   #9
Torwan
Zealot
Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 (3G)
That would suck. Big time. I still have a cable-based network at home and I don't intend to install WiFi just for a Kindle.
Torwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:06 AM   #10
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
I too would be surprised if they didn't offer a 3G model. There are plenty of people who still factor that in when buying an ereader and Kindle is the only one who has it( among the big names, not sure of the other ones).
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #11
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
I have no figures to back this up, but I doubt Amazon is footing the entire bill for the 3G services. Most countries outside the U.S. used to be charged a $2 Whispernet surcharge on every single book they purchased ... even books someone downloaded through the internet onto their computer. I know not that long ago I couldn't download free ebooks from Amazon - they were $2 here. A couple of years back Amazon finally dropped this charge for Canadians and some countries, but from what I've read here it looks like there are still countries that have this $2 charge attached to every book.

I doubt it's a coincidence that Amazon began to limit 3G browsing on their current model after eliminating the surcharge from some countries. They'll probably continue to offer 3G, even limited 3G, as long as this surcharge is in place elsewhere in the world. If they eliminate it everywhere, that will be when 3G disappears entirely.

Last edited by Suzanna; 09-04-2012 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Clarity
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:27 AM   #12
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexutix View Post
Kindle without 3G? Impossible. At least for this year.

I am looking forward to new kindle, only because I can download my books anywhere. It would be a dealbreaker for me.
Amazon has always had 3G connectivity for that very reason. In my opinion, that's why it is incredibly unlikely they would eliminate it.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:29 AM   #13
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
While my Kindle Keyboard has 3G, I hardly ever use it. I'm thinking my next Kindle will only be wifi. So, it doesn't really matter to me if they stop making a 3G Kindle.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:47 PM   #14
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Amazon is expanding to more countries. For that they need to keep 3G even if they limit it to the kindle store. For myself I sideload all my books and buy from my computer and only turn on whispernet when my kindle's clock needs resetting so I don't really need it.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:55 PM   #15
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
On Nate's post today about the FCC paperwork, he conjectured:

Quote:
This means that we now have what could be a 3g equipped Kindle and a Wifi equipped Kindle. That sounds awfully similar to the current set up for the Kindle Touch and K3. Both of those Kindles come in 2 flavors, with the 3g option adding to the price. I’d say that Amazon plans to continue offering 2 similar devices at different price points.
Having a pair of Kindles, one Wi-Fi and the other also having 3G would follow Amazon's pattern since the debut of the K3 (excepting the K4NT, of course).
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote