Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-27-2011, 02:13 PM   #1
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Canine star of Harry Potter film is now a shelter dog

From Here:

Quote:
Harry Potter fans around the world saw him on the silver screen as Padfoot in "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban," third installment in the boy wizard's film series. But that was a long time ago in dog years, and today Berry -- the black German shepherd who played the animal avatar of wizard Sirius Black in the 2004 box-office smash -- is homeless.

Berry's owner, stuntman and trainer Paul Thompson, turned Berry and a second canine actor named Porridge over to German Shepherd Dog Rescue in the United Kingdom, saying the demands of his job took him away from home too much to properly care for them. A related issue: Berry (short for Shadowberry), now 10, and Porridge, who was in several British TV series and is now 13, have been together since Berry was a pup and now can't live apart from each other.

On the German Shepherd Dog Rescue website, Berry himself posts a plaintive plea for a home for himself and his pal, a German shepherd-Labrador mix. "Both of us are a bit wobbly in our older years but we still love life," Berry writes (probably with some human help). "If you can help in any way, Porridge and I would be most grateful."

That's just sad.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:22 PM   #2
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
It is awful to hear that! Surely such a dog will find a good home quickly, though.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2011, 02:29 PM   #3
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I wish I could take them, but I've three little pound pups of my own, and it's sadly just not possible. Surely the publicity will bring potential owners rushing to the kennel. Maybe they'll adopt a few of the other homeless dogs as well.

Last edited by carld; 09-27-2011 at 03:06 PM.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:49 PM   #4
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Dogs Earn their keep & the Owner Still dumps them GRRRRR
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:58 PM   #5
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Dog pays for the owners keep and the owner dumps them. They probably are too old to act and he does not want to pay the cost of taking them on location with them.

I hope that they find a good home. I know that when we were looking to adopt dogs we were looking for puppies. Hopefully someone will be willing to take the pair.

I kind of fear what would happen if anything happened to my Hubby and I. We have two dogs who have lived together for almost a year, both are under 2, and I would hate for them to be broken up.

Given that the dogs are well trained and famous I am sure that they will be adopted pretty fast.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2011, 03:00 PM   #6
Skibble
Runs With Scissors
Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
These dogs are going to be adopted very quickly. But what a sad thanks they received for their hard work and love.
Skibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:20 PM   #7
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's how I feel, too. These dogs upheld their part of the contract. They did their jobs and did them damn well. They probably are what made him into the "too busy" man he is today. That is biting the hand that feeds you.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:34 PM   #8
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
If the owner isn't home enough to take care of them, a better home would be better. The article mentions he's a stuntman, and so if he's on set in another country, he may not always be able to take them (customs can be a nightmare when animals are involved).

Plus, it could be he's worked out a deal with the shelter, and this more or less is a publicity stunt. I mean, look, here is a organization now getting international attention, and will likely receive a large amount of donations, plus people who are trying to get those dogs will often wind up adopting other dogs they have instead. I don't know about where you are, but the rescue organizations (especially the purebred animals like the one in question here) are the best place to goto when you're no longer able to take care of the animal. They won't kill the animal if they cannot find it a home like the average animal "shelter", and they often are extremely thorough when doing background checks on prospective adopters.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:56 PM   #9
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
It's sad to see that happen. But, I have no doubt that the poochies will find a home without much trouble.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:02 PM   #10
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I hope when this SOB is too old to work, he ends up homeless and alone.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:21 PM   #11
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...

This is my baby. He will never get sent to a homeless shelter when he gets old. He'll probably get carried as much then as he does now.

*muttermutterspoiledpuppymutter*

Old 09-27-2011, 05:05 PM   #12
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I hope when this SOB is too old to work, he ends up homeless and alone.
I'd rather someone find their pets a new home, than neglect them if they're unable to take care of them. If this guy is gone most of the time, he's obviously not in a position to well care for the dogs. From what I can find out, this is a volunteer, no-kill, non-profit organization. Basically one of the best places to bring the dogs to, since they pretty much guarantee that they'll find the dogs a new home where they can get the attention they deserve.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:19 PM   #13
LesRS
Enthusiast
LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Lenovo A1 Tablet
Beautiful pup!!! Hope he and his buddy find a home soon!!!!
LesRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:24 PM   #14
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
I'd rather someone find their pets a new home, than neglect them if they're unable to take care of them. If this guy is gone most of the time, he's obviously not in a position to well care for the dogs. From what I can find out, this is a volunteer, no-kill, non-profit organization. Basically one of the best places to bring the dogs to, since they pretty much guarantee that they'll find the dogs a new home where they can get the attention they deserve.
I totally agree with you...I think it is just the manner in which it was done. He could have sent out a public message and had people clamoring to adopt this cutie.

I guess I think of my dog as my child. I can't imagine getting rid of a child because I got busy...it's just time to make adjustments.

*sigh* It does make me sad.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:33 PM   #15
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Well, he obviously was able to put in the time and effort to train the dog, now he can't even care for him in his declining years?

Yeah, giving the dog to a breed rescue is a step up from giving it to a kill shelter, and that's better than tossing the dog out into the street to fend for itself, but the bottom line is that this guy used the dog and now is disposing of him because he's become inconvenient.

Every person who brings a dog or cat to a shelter has an excuse and a rationalization.

Pets are a responsibility and a commitment; they should not be disposable.

I repeat, I hope this SOB ends up homeless and alone.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote