Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-06-2011, 06:00 PM   #16
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Thanks! That is the answer that I was expecting. I had read previously that was the case, but I wondered if the latest software might have added this capability. Maybe the coming soon "MyNook" will address annotation syncing. One can hope?
This was a disappointment to me, too. Does any ecosystem sync highlights and annotations? I feel like maybe the Kindle, but then I don't own/use Kindles, so I can't be sure.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:12 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
iBooks syncs highlights and last page read.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2011, 07:08 PM   #18
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
This was a disappointment to me, too. Does any ecosystem sync highlights and annotations? I feel like maybe the Kindle, but then I don't own/use Kindles, so I can't be sure.
Kindle does a great job of syncing notes, highlights, bookmarks and farthest page read (not the most recently viewed page). Kindle 1s still have to manually sync, but it's automatic for apps and newer devices (it automatically asks if you'd like to update when you open a book with unsynced annotations).

Sony will sync highlights and annotations between two PRS-950 devices (and I *think* between and PRS-950 and the Android app), but not with their desktop Reader Library.
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:19 PM   #19
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekchick View Post
Kindle does a great job of syncing notes, highlights, bookmarks and farthest page read (not the most recently viewed page). Kindle 1s still have to manually sync, but it's automatic for apps and newer devices (it automatically asks if you'd like to update when you open a book with unsynced annotations).

Sony will sync highlights and annotations between two PRS-950 devices (and I *think* between and PRS-950 and the Android app), but not with their desktop Reader Library.
Interesting. Thank you to you both.

I'm a highlighting junkie, so it's probably ironic that for my first eReader (Nook Classic), I picked the worst possible ecosystem for that.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:34 PM   #20
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
According to the Sony website you can sync your position, bookmarks and highlight between the 950 & Android app. I have an iPhone so I can't confirm. I am tempted to test it on my NC but haven't had time to go to the store for a micro-SD card yet to try out CM7.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2011, 07:53 PM   #21
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

The Sony android app is vaporware for me. My Android Captivate isn't running a recent enough version of Android in order for the Sony app to be available in the market store. Dunno if it's available for the NC running CM7... I should check...
Old 06-08-2011, 06:21 PM   #22
jswinden
Nameless Being

The Sony Reader for Android is really VERY basic. It has the least amount of text customization of any reader app I've seen on Android. You can change the font size but that is all. No margin settings, justification settings, fonts to choose from, nothing. Also it was released in January as version 1.0 and almost 5 months later it is still at 1.0 and somewhat buggy. I don't have a 950 so I cannot test the sync function.

To be honest, I installed it and then uninstalled it within 30 minutes because it was not worth the memory space it occupied.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:03 PM   #23
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Interesting. Thank you to you both.

I'm a highlighting junkie, so it's probably ironic that for my first eReader (Nook Classic), I picked the worst possible ecosystem for that.
My Kindle 3 even syncs farthest page read with my Android phone for side-loaded books. I'm guessing the new Nook won't do that?
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:20 PM   #24
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
The Sony Reader for Android is really VERY basic. It has the least amount of text customization of any reader app I've seen on Android. You can change the font size but that is all. No margin settings, justification settings, fonts to choose from, nothing. Also it was released in January as version 1.0 and almost 5 months later it is still at 1.0 and somewhat buggy. I don't have a 950 so I cannot test the sync function.

To be honest, I installed it and then uninstalled it within 30 minutes because it was not worth the memory space it occupied.
You're right. The Sony Reader for Android is very poor and not very stable. I can only see about 20 books from my library, which are the earliest purchases. I am not sure how to see the entire library. They are all ones that I purchased like 4 years ago... I did use one of these books to confirm that it does indeed sync bookmarks and highlights between the Andriod app and the 950. Too bad it was a book I 've already read and not a recent one!

I also confirmed that you can sync between the Nook Android and Nook iPhone apps. Too bad I can't get the NC in stock mode to do that!

Ditto for the Kobo Android and iPhone apps syncing.

I must say that the Kindle app is the slickest. It went straight to where I was in the book that I am currently reading on my K3.

Syncing is one of the reasons that I am considering the STR. Hopefully they will do an update to fix it.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:21 AM   #25
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Well, lookee there. Search does occasionally come up with what one is seeking, although not necessarily the answer one desires.

Took me by surprise when one day I opened my iPad nook app (nighttime reading) and was greeted by a message saying another device was further along, did I wish to update (paraphrasing). Then I realized it was the first time I had left the nook wifi on while opening the iPad when reading an actual nook book.

But no matter what I tried, I never got an update or similar request on the nook itself.
Thanks for the info.

And while I seldom have argument with your contributions, Scion, I did find it a bit out of character for you to make fun of someone for simply expressing frustration. But then I reread the OP, saw it was a quote rather than a MR poster and realized it was okay, lol. Yer right, the tone of his whining is a bit much.

Edit: Okay, tediously forced myself to read three more chapters on the iPad (that's a joke, just in case you don't pick up on it) before I finally got the nook itself to open to the current iPad page.

First time, I had closed the nook with the book open, so the update didn't work.

Second time, I had closed it to the Home page, but when opening the nook, immediately opened the book by habit.

Third time, I finally remembered to do the update before opening the book. Cook cookies. Book opened at Chapter 46 instead of 43. Thanks again for the posts that got me here.

Here's hoping BN gets an update out that makes it simpler, but there are much more pressing issues I'd rather see now that I at least can get it to work both ways. After all, I've got about 400 books sideloaded and maybe 4 cheap nook books -- I still refuse to pay more than $7, but reissued contemporary books I either haven't read or have forgotten, and non-Agency books for $.99-$5.00 I have no problem spending money on.

Interesting that the iPad app sees the changes without gymnastics, but the nook can't, yet.

Last edited by eGeezer; 08-15-2011 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Cuz there's always something
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote