Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 12-09-2010, 09:39 PM   #16
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
I agree John. Very nice work.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:25 PM   #17
John Carroll
kookoo
John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook, LG4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
I agree John. Very nice work.
Thank you. I really appreciate that.

John Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2010, 01:35 PM   #18
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Is Gimp preferable to Paint Shop Pro? I have an old version of paint shop which a friend got free in a pc magazine many years ago.

What about images which you buy on a disc. I have a few discs called 500,000 images. The license states that they can be used for websites etc, but not resold as a new package. Which I assume means that using individual images is okay.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:24 PM   #19
John Carroll
kookoo
John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook, LG4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Is Gimp preferable to Paint Shop Pro? I have an old version of paint shop which a friend got free in a pc magazine many years ago.

What about images which you buy on a disc. I have a few discs called 500,000 images. The license states that they can be used for websites etc, but not resold as a new package. Which I assume means that using individual images is okay.
That sounds about right. I believe that those disks give you permission to use individual images for commercial use. However, you can't package the whole thing and sell or distribute it.
John Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:00 AM   #20
Dodge
Sparks fly off my pages!
Dodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I made the deal that I own the image and all the rights. I designed the cover and commissioned the artist to create/paint it. He can use it to promote his work but nothing else (that's fair). I can use it for anything I want.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2010, 09:52 AM   #21
randyflycaster
Zealot
randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350
I made an ebook cover by using Picasa. I simply added text to a photograph.
I think it works fine.
Randy
randyflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 02:44 AM   #22
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
For what it is worth I made my own cover for Civil Disobedience and other essays by Thoreau on the MobileRead library by getting a portrait of Thoreau from Wiki Commons, then adding the text with OpenOffice Draw.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 08:32 AM   #23
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
GIMP vs Paintshop Pro

I would pick GIMP over Paintshop Pro. GIMP is free and you can download a bunch of Photoshop Brushs for it. I go to deviantart for the brushes I want to make my covers.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 03:32 PM   #24
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Thanks. I've downloaded Gimp and some brushes from Deviantart. There are lots of tutorials on youtube relating to Gimp which give a basic idea of what all the tools do and what layers are etc.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 06:53 PM   #25
modwitch
modwitch began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
For custom art, I think you've already had some great advice. For stock photos, read the fine print.

I used a stock image for my cover, but I'd strongly recommend knowing exactly what rights and licensing exist on the site and image you choose. For example, I used an illustration from istockphoto.com - I can use it on up to 500,000 books for the basic license, then I would need to upgrade (oh, to have such a problem!!). If I'd used an image with a person, they require a standardized model release, which would protect me down the road.

SXC, mentioned above, is a free site, but they don't require that you have a model release for posted images (which means if any part of a person is visible in the image, and that person objects to your use of their image some day, it could get very sticky). Use rights are also hard to figure out from that site sometimes (because they are determined by the individual poster).

You don't want to be the person that put the picture of someone's kid on the front of your thriller, only to discover that someone objects.
modwitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
artist, cover, cover art, legal, licensing