Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 05-09-2014, 06:59 AM   #1
ColMac
Connoisseur
ColMac began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Authors with more than 10 books

I'd like to create a virtual library showing only those authors who have 10 or more books in the catalog.

Can anyone help with this please.

I have done a forum search, but I couldn't see any suitable answers.

Many thanks

Colin
ColMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:22 PM   #2
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Author Book Count Custom Column

This post has been minimalized to reflect a new plugin.

Please go to Thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=241441 , [GUI Plugin]: Author Book Count .

DaltonST

Last edited by DaltonST; 06-23-2014 at 07:40 AM. Reason: move files to https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=241441
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 12:48 AM   #3
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
I took a look through the Search & Sort section of the calibre manual but didn't see a reserved keyword that holds an author book count. Calibre definitely uses an equivalent function (per Tag Browser>Authors) but its either an internal function and/or computed on demand.

It would appear that a count is possible for any "multiple-valued fields". Unfortunately you're counting number of titles per author, a staggered count instead of a straight one, so this isn't quite the functionality you need.

The only other thing I can think of is taking a look at some of the plugins to see if there counting method can be borrowed and altered to fit your needs (with the programmer's permission, of course). The catalog and possibly Quality Check might have something along these lines (among other PIs). Programmatically this might require several lines of code as I think you're dealing with an array, not just a simple count. So... probably not a minor task.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 04:32 AM   #4
ColMac
Connoisseur

Hi DaltonST

Thanks for your post, and even more so for your interest in my topic.

I eventually downloaded the two attachments (Initially they came down as php files), and managed to view them.

Did all the prep, got the Firefox add-in as suggested and didn't have a clue what to do then. Eventually managed to get the add-in working, and couldn't even see a SQL Query Tab. Tried to create a table, told me I needed a database first etc. At this point I gave up.

I am very computer literate, but have never done any programming, so I'm lost, and I don't like playing with software I do not understand at all. And I know less than zero about this (I don't even use Firefox regularly although it is installed and up to date).

So I'm not the guy to test this in its current state. If you can get it to a self-contained plug-in, I'll happily test it then. But till then this is outside my knowledge zone.

Thanks again for your interest, I feel really sorry and guilty that I can't help test it but that's the reality!

Colin
Old 06-06-2014, 04:38 AM   #5
ColMac
Connoisseur

Hi Sabardeyn and thanks for your interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabardeyn View Post
I took a look through the Search & Sort section of the calibre manual but didn't see a reserved keyword that holds an author book count. Calibre definitely uses an equivalent function (per Tag Browser>Authors) but its either an internal function and/or computed on demand.
I had also read the manual before posting, so I'm glad that you have confirmed my view that there was nothing existing to utilise in any kind of custom column or similar.

Quote:
Programmatically this might require several lines of code as I think you're dealing with an array, not just a simple count. So... probably not a minor task
As you'll see from my post above I'm not the right person to attempt even a minor task. So if this isn't a minor task, it is way way way beyond me.

Thanks anyway
Old 06-09-2014, 02:50 PM   #6
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
You're welcome.

But keep asking and keep trying (in general). Sometimes there is an easier/better way to handle things in calibre - if you ask the right person the right question. I've thought up some crazy work-arounds for things only to have someone say "Why are you doing it that way? It's much easier to handle things this way..."
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:26 AM   #7
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
[GUI Plugin]: New - Author Book Count

Colin,

Please go to Thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=241441 , [GUI Plugin]: Author Book Count .

DaltonST

Last edited by DaltonST; 06-21-2014 at 03:37 PM. Reason: File moved to https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241441
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
virtual library