Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-05-2013, 12:12 PM   #61
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I don't know how long it will take to get to the Australian market, but I'll probably pass. I love my current PW and although the screen improvements seem pretty good, they also seem a bit incremental and probably not compelling enough for me to take the leap.

I held on to my K3 until Amazon delivered front light technology. Now I have it, I'm not sure what my next need is going to be.

It might be a reasonable wait before I have an opportunity to buy, so I'll reassess then.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:47 PM   #62
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
or instead of re-selling you could just order the new PW and send the old one back...and see if you'll get caught (i.e. if their handling guys notice the difference)
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:51 PM   #63
derangedhermit
Addict
derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
The incremental improvements in e-ink contrast over the past several years, and the unchanged 4-bit gray scale, make it uninteresting to me as a basic technology. 1/4 to 1/7th the contrast of paper? No thanks. 4-bit grayscale? No thanks. The tech isn't evolving into something I'm interested in buying into again.

100:1 contrast, 256 shades of gray , ~300 ppi, and I'm interested. E-ink isn't going to get there, ever, as far as I can tell. Very low power consumption is by far the biggest feature, and that's not enough.
derangedhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:50 PM   #64
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by derangedhermit View Post
The incremental improvements in e-ink contrast over the past several years, and the unchanged 4-bit gray scale, make it uninteresting to me as a basic technology. 1/4 to 1/7th the contrast of paper? No thanks. 4-bit grayscale? No thanks. The tech isn't evolving into something I'm interested in buying into again.

100:1 contrast, 256 shades of gray , ~300 ppi, and I'm interested. E-ink isn't going to get there, ever, as far as I can tell. Very low power consumption is by far the biggest feature, and that's not enough.
16 shades of grey are enough for displaying text.

Have you ever read a printed book? They're much, much worse than what the current state of e-ink is at.
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:08 PM   #65
nesler
Zealot
nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to list
Quote:
Uh, Pearl does display 16 shades of gray. A far cry from 256, but I'm not sure how useful that'd be anyway.

And the Kobo Aura HD is 265 ppi. So it's getting there.
nesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:24 PM   #66
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpider View Post

Have you ever read a printed book? They're much, much worse than what the current state of e-ink is at.
Especially, mass market paperbacks.
It is no accident that ebook growth is seriously shrinking the market for that format; cost, convenience, ergonomics, text quality... even Vizplex 2-bit eink has them beat hands down. And that is before factoring in typographic controls.
The frontlit screens may not be up to the quality of "folio-grade" collectibles, but they more than hold their own with the plebian hardcovers used for midlist titles these days.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:06 AM   #67
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Quote:
Very low power consumption is by far the biggest feature, and that's not enough.
That is one of the most significant features, though. I have to charge my Nexus every day, or every other day. My e-ink devices need to be re-charged perhaps once a month. It may not be enough for you, and I usually don't have issues with re-charging my tablet daily either, but I feel that for many people that is a decisive advantage of e-ink devices.

While I do enjoy reading on my Nexus 7 and feel that it is the first LCD tablet that I can read comfortably on, the e-ink devices still offer a superior reading experience to me. It's more paper-like, and they offer much less distraction.

I do agree that e-ink development is lacking a little in pace, but my desire for new toys aside and looked at the situation realistically, just for reading novels the current e-ink devices offer everything I need.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:14 AM   #68
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpider View Post

I just want 50 shades of grey. Then I'm happy.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:35 AM   #69
orange!
Born to be wild
orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle K3 wi-fi, Nexus 7 + Aldiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I just want 50 shades of grey. Then I'm happy.
orange! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:59 PM   #70
stutzj
Zealot
stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, PW2, Kindle 5(black)
Check out the pictures from this italian website. Extreme close up of the new Carta display in comparison to Pearl e-ink display.

http://www.eeevolution.it/e-ink-carta-specifiche/
stutzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:26 PM   #71
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by stutzj View Post
Check out the pictures from this italian website. Extreme close up of the new Carta display in comparison to Pearl e-ink display.

http://www.eeevolution.it/e-ink-carta-specifiche/
Terrible photo comparison if you ask me. The comparison should have used the same text, font (if possible), and font size for every device. The photos should have been in focus and all the same size. The way he presents this, it is difficult to make any conclusions.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:54 AM   #72
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Anyone knows when B&M store like best buy will have this? I want to look and buy in person. Since amazon charges sales tax now I may as well support the B&M store.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:58 AM   #73
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesler View Post
Uh, Pearl does display 16 shades of gray. A far cry from 256, but I'm not sure how useful that'd be anyway.

And the Kobo Aura HD is 265 ppi. So it's getting there.
Cover art would look a lot better with 8 bit grayscale.

As it is, I don't even bother with looking at covers.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:07 PM   #74
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Anyone knows when B&M store like best buy will have this? I want to look and buy in person. Since amazon charges sales tax now I may as well support the B&M store.
Usually they don't show up in B&M stores for at least a few weeks after they start shipping to early Amazon buyers. Seems like last year it was several weeks after initial shipments went out.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:55 AM   #75
derangedhermit
Addict
derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Even cheap paperbacks have contrast of 50:1. Printer paper, and high quality book paper, is up to 100:1. That's why I said even the latest version is still 4x-7x worse than paper. Do some fact-checking. All other common display technologies are much higher than 100:1, btw. At e-ink's 15;1, there's no "white" and there's no "black" - only light gray and middle gray. "Paperwhite" is only aspirational, misleading marketing.

16 shades of gray IS 4-bit. With more shades, you can implement better font rendering at lower ppi counts; no reason to invoke viewing images to see a substantial improvement - text is reason enough.

E-ink doesn't do "pixels" in the way we think of them in other technologies anyway, and that's another disadvantage. The size of the capsules varies a lot; look at microscopic images of an e-ink screen. With print and other display technologies, the pixel or dot size is much more accurately controlled. E-ink "pixels" are fuzzier and more irregular.
derangedhermit is offline   Reply With Quote