Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 05-05-2010, 01:43 PM   #1
kdf9511
Madman With A Box
kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Nook Glowlight, Nook Color, Kindle 4, Astak Pocket Pro
Charger Score @ Dollar Tree....

I was at the Dollar Tree store yesterday and came across a very nice little 12v plug with dual usb power outlets and a retractable usb cable. I tried these on my PP and it worked like a charm. Total cost $2.00 plus tax. This will work out very nicely for carrying in my saddlebags incase I need to charge while on the road.
kdf9511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:56 PM   #2
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Are you sure the output is correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdf9511 View Post
I was at the Dollar Tree store yesterday and came across a very nice little 12v plug with dual usb power outlets and a retractable usb cable. I tried these on my PP and it worked like a charm. Total cost $2.00 plus tax. This will work out very nicely for carrying in my saddlebags incase I need to charge while on the road.
Dear kdf:

I know you said it worked fine and I am thankful for that. Are you sure the output matches what the output is on the origional charger taht came with the unit? These darned chargers all look alike and often have the same size USB but the output is wrong.

I just do not want you to see any harm from what otherwise sounds like a great deal!!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2010, 05:18 PM   #3
kdf9511
Madman With A Box
kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Are you sure the output matches what the output is on the origional charger taht came with the unit?
Yep, it has the same one amp ouput as the wall wart on both outputs that came with the unit. I will be able to charge the PP and run my GPS at the same time with this if I need to witch is a bonus for me as I can be charging while riding and ready to relax with a good book at the end of the day while sitting around the campsite.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:15 PM   #4
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear kdf:

I know you said it worked fine and I am thankful for that. Are you sure the output matches what the output is on the origional charger taht came with the unit? These darned chargers all look alike and often have the same size USB but the output is wrong.

I just do not want you to see any harm from what otherwise sounds like a great deal!!
Given that your ereaders need to survive, and charge, from ANY computer USB port, then there should not be any issue. USB supplies 5volt power at about (at least) 500ma current capability. If it is "wrong" then it's not USB.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:24 AM   #5
Spiffy
Groupie
Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pro AND Sony PRS-505
I'd be wary of a "dollar" power adapter less because it might be the wrong specs and MORE because it might be defective.
Spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2010, 08:37 AM   #6
QIbHom
Connoisseur
QIbHom doesn't litterQIbHom doesn't litter

Device: Aztak EZReader Pocket Pro
I've been using dollar store power adapters and chargers for years on cells and other equipment. I've had a few dead cables, but no other issues.

Which isn't to say that the next one I pick up might not explode, taking out 7 city blocks, but if one is really worried, couldn't you use a multimeter to check them?
QIbHom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:49 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by QIbHom View Post
I've been using dollar store power adapters and chargers for years on cells and other equipment. I've had a few dead cables, but no other issues.

Which isn't to say that the next one I pick up might not explode, taking out 7 city blocks, but if one is really worried, couldn't you use a multimeter to check them?
Voltage (what a Multi-Meter measures) is only a very basic test.
Regulation, Regulation response time (needed with unstable power sources like cars), Noise and ripple, Over-voltage clamping.

To see those, you need a good storage-type oscilloscope and some expensive power disturbance generators.
The company I do work for uses a local testing lab for the power line surge and ringing voltage tests.
The equipment must survive 5 simulated power line lightning "hits" of 5000 Volts (this is for for a basic set top TV box). Failures are pretty spectacular
The basic tests, I do on the bench in the shop.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:54 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Is this USB wall-wart certified? If not, toss it out as it could damage your unit or even catch fire.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:09 PM   #9
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Purple Astak Pocket Pro! :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The equipment must survive 5 simulated power line lightning "hits" of 5000 Volts (this is for for a basic set top TV box). Failures are pretty spectacular
Oh, wow! That could be fun to watch! Do they do homeschool group tours? J/K, but it would be fun to see!
Davimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:43 PM   #10
irenas
Zealot
irenas began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZ reader
I just bought a very good book light at the Dollar Tree store ...It has a large clip, long flexible neck and bright light.
irenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:50 PM   #11
Xochipilli2012
Zealot
Xochipilli2012 began at the beginning.

Device: Red PRS-600, Slate Blue Astak EZReader Pocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by irenas View Post
I just bought a very good book light at the Dollar Tree store ...It has a large clip, long flexible neck and bright light.
Be sure to get it tested before you use it!

(naw...just kidding. )
Xochipilli2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:00 PM   #12
kdf9511
Madman With A Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Voltage (what a Multi-Meter measures) is only a very basic test.
Regulation, Regulation response time (needed with unstable power sources like cars), Noise and ripple, Over-voltage clamping..

I haven't done any testing on this one yet but I do plan to as soon as I clear a few other projects off on my bench.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:44 PM   #13
irenas
Zealot
irenas began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZ reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xochipilli2012 View Post
Be sure to get it tested before you use it!
Believe me, i test it every night!
irenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:47 AM   #14
Spiffy
Groupie
Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pro AND Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by irenas View Post
Well, unless its one of those book lights which plugs into the USB port and powers itself from it... you are probably okay.
Spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote