Notices

Old 06-08-2009, 07:36 AM   #1
daniel_hokkaido
Enthusiast
daniel_hokkaido began at the beginning.

Device: sonyprs 505, pocketbook pro 603
Books to inspire hiking around SE Asia and India

Hi all,

I would love if any of you could take the time to recommend some books by either native or foreign authors set in SE Asia or India...and also Iran and central Asia. I know that is a wide range...I will be traveling for a year with my reader and i am stocking up now on books for it.

One friend recommended the white tiger by aravind adiga. I really want to expand my mind into new arenas before and during the trip, so any books you found enlightening or just beautiful to read, I'd love to hear your recommendations.

I just finished Dharma Bums by Kerouac. I quite enjoyed it. I am not religious but what little i learned about Buddhism from it has roused my curiosity.

thanks,
Dan.
daniel_hokkaido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:15 PM   #2
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
I'm sure reading books about American politics would make you want to throw away your cell phone and walk around a third world country
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2009, 07:37 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
"A Passage to India".........

Not current culture, of course, but I thought it gave some good insight.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:47 PM   #4
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
I read a couple books about 20 years ago by Peter Jenkins and one of them was about walking across China and things related to it. Very popular at the time. He's a good writer. I've still got a couple of his books about walking across America. Unfortunately old travel books I'd guess are about the least likely thing to get ebook'd hehe... But you can find it as paper on amazon, or you can ask the author about it as an ebook.. Here is his web page. http://www.peterjenkins.com/books_profile_AC.htm
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:31 AM   #5
F1Wild
Addict
F1Wild doesn't litterF1Wild doesn't litter

Device: Paolo-my Kindle2, Blackberry Curve
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_hokkaido View Post
Hi all,
I would love if any of you could take the time to recommend some books by either native or foreign authors set in SE Asia or India...and also Iran and central Asia. I know that is a wide range...I will be traveling for a year with my reader and i am stocking up now on books for it.

One friend recommended the white tiger by aravind adiga. I really want to expand my mind into new arenas before and during the trip, so any books you found enlightening or just beautiful to read, I'd love to hear your recommendations.

I just finished Dharma Bums by Kerouac. I quite enjoyed it. I am not religious but what little i learned about Buddhism from it has roused my curiosity.

thanks,
Dan.
Here are a few of my favorites (there are tons more - this is one of my favorite areas):
*Catfish and Mandala: A Two-Wheeled Voyage Through the Landscape and Memory of Vietnam by Andrew X. Pham
*The Dhammapada by Eknath Easwaran (great Buddhist classic easy for Westerners to understand)
*A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry
*Happiness by Matthieu Ricard
*The Kite Runner and/or A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
*Nip the Buds, Shoot the Kids by Kenzaburo Oe
*Saving Fish from Drowning by Amy Tan (not her usual style)
*Seven Years in Tibet by Heinrich Harrer
*Three Cups of Tea: One Man’s Mission to Fight Terrorism and Build Nations…One School at a Time by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin

***I am so jealous of your trip! Stay safe and peaceful!
F1Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2009, 03:16 AM   #6
Nicholas01
Nicholas01 began at the beginning.

Device: amazon kindle
Hiking

Hi,

Thanks for sharing the useful information.

Here are the list of essentials things needed for hiking.

Map, Compass (optionally supplemented with a GPS receiver), Sunglasses and sunscreen, Extra food and water, Extra clothes, Headlamp/flashlight, First aid kit, Fire starter Matches Knife.

Not every expedition will require the use of an essential item. Carrying these basic items improves the chances that one is prepared for an unexpected emergency in the outdoors. For instance, if a hiker experiences a sudden snow storm, fresh clothes and fire starter may be used to keep warm, or the map and compass and headlamp will allow them to exit the wilderness quickly;
Nicholas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 03:25 AM   #7
F1Wild
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas01 View Post
Hi,

Thanks for sharing the useful information.

Here are the list of essentials things needed for hiking.

Map, Compass (optionally supplemented with a GPS receiver), Sunglasses and sunscreen, Extra food and water, Extra clothes, Headlamp/flashlight, First aid kit, Fire starter Matches Knife.

Not every expedition will require the use of an essential item. Carrying these basic items improves the chances that one is prepared for an unexpected emergency in the outdoors. For instance, if a hiker experiences a sudden snow storm, fresh clothes and fire starter may be used to keep warm, or the map and compass and headlamp will allow them to exit the wilderness quickly;
I would suggest sunblock instead of screen, something that blocks UVA & B rays. Also, water purifying tabs are a great asset!
Old 06-16-2009, 03:41 AM   #8
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Wild View Post
I would suggest sunblock instead of screen, something that blocks UVA & B rays. Also, water purifying tabs are a great asset!
those words are interchangeable up here in New york, or atleast the people I know, admittedly maybe the people who live closer to the beach know. I'm sure if we got as much sun as arizona we would know the difference. but here for those who know they can tan get their tanning oil, for those who cant they get a bottle of spf 40.

learn something new every day.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 05:01 AM   #9
F1Wild
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
those words are interchangeable up here in New york, or atleast the people I know, admittedly maybe the people who live closer to the beach know. I'm sure if we got as much sun as arizona we would know the difference. but here for those who know they can tan get their tanning oil, for those who cant they get a bottle of spf 40.

learn something new every day.
Hey, we're both heading in the same direction and that's all that matters - especially if there's any altitude involved. Just throwing itout as I'm a stage IV cancer survivor and try to spread the word to everyone. Cheers!
Old 06-16-2009, 10:46 AM   #10
DanielCoffey
Connoisseur
DanielCoffey began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I would recommend Rudyard Kipling : Kim. It is available free at Feedbooks, is relatively short and is a cracking good adventure set in late 19th century India.

My crumbly paper copy was given to me ages ago by a woman who was actually present at the Ceremony of Independence (she is actually in the photo with Lord Mountbatten being handed the British flag by a representative of the Indian Government). The map of India (sadly not reproduced in the eBook along with the glossary of Indian slang used) was covered with little underlines in pencil showing the places she had visited.
DanielCoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:05 AM   #11
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
An MSR or similar ceramic water purifier. Light and very effective. Helps save on plastic. I have used in Africa and Asia
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:49 PM   #12
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Device: cybook gen3, htc hero, ipaq 214
I'm just reading the Platform by Michel Houellebecq. It's taking place in Thailand and so I thought of you, as I remembered seeing this thread on MR some time ago.
Abelturd is offline   Reply With Quote