Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-13-2009, 07:42 PM   #1
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
WH Smiths selling Sony readers

When I was buying a couple of ebooks from WH Smiths over the weekend I noticed that they were selling the Sony 505 reader for 199pounds.
Has anyone bought one from them and do they link to the WH Smiths store instead of the Waterstones store?
I thought Waterstones has the exclusive right to sell Sony readers in the UK.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 04:26 AM   #2
Tracey
Connoisseur
Tracey is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-505
Hi, I think the exclusive Waterstones deal was relating to the very early days; i bought mine in John Lewis in October. JL also have exclusive rights to sell the red one in the UK; only silver available as standard and no-one has blue.

Not sure if WH Smith software is with the ones they are selling though.
Tracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2009, 05:21 AM   #3
colonel
Enthusiast
colonel began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
There are a few places selling at £199. Also you can get 2% back through quidco (£195 ....).

John lewis are currently doing at £224 with free leather case or charger. I buy john lewis vouchers on the web for 9% discount, so I am getting red prs-505 with leather case for £205.

These little buggers seem to be holding their value annoyingly well.
colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:01 AM   #4
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracey View Post
Hi, I think the exclusive Waterstones deal was relating to the very early days; i bought mine in John Lewis in October. JL also have exclusive rights to sell the red one in the UK; only silver available as standard and no-one has blue.

Not sure if WH Smith software is with the ones they are selling though.
What no blue ones available in the UK. That's the best colour !
Oh, right better not start another which colour is best thread
Old 04-14-2009, 08:27 AM   #5
Tracey
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel View Post
There are a few places selling at £199. Also you can get 2% back through quidco (£195 ....).

John lewis are currently doing at £224 with free leather case or charger. I buy john lewis vouchers on the web for 9% discount, so I am getting red prs-505 with leather case for £205.

These little buggers seem to be holding their value annoyingly well.
Yes, i agree. They were £199 at launch and then went up to £224 quite quickly. Even those on eBay make near retail price. Where do you get your John Lewis vouchers from at a discounted price please?
Advert
Old 04-14-2009, 08:29 AM   #6
Tracey
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_au View Post
What no blue ones available in the UK. That's the best colour !
Oh, right better not start another which colour is best thread
I guess you guys get the blue ones to match your sky. We in the UK can probably expect one in a murky shade of grey anytime soon!
Old 04-14-2009, 05:10 PM   #7
besca147
besca147 began at the beginning.

I bought my 505 from WHSmiths in January for £189 and I've seen it's gone way up, then down a little since but never as low as what I'd bought it for.

The Sony software that came with it links to Waterstones.
besca147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:27 PM   #8
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I notice they're still selling the Cybook - but at a much closer price to the Sony now (when I got my Sony from Waterstones there was a £20 difference, now there's only £5), and they've started selling the iLiad book edition.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:36 PM   #9
tech_au
Oz Bookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by besca147 View Post
I bought my 505 from WHSmiths in January for £189 and I've seen it's gone way up, then down a little since but never as low as what I'd bought it for.

The Sony software that came with it links to Waterstones.
Thats a bit odd isn't it. I would have thought that they could have got the software tweaked slightly to point to their ebook store. Was there at least a card that said "By the way we have an ebook store as well"
Old 04-17-2009, 10:29 AM   #10
colonel
Enthusiast
colonel began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracey View Post
Yes, i agree. They were £199 at launch and then went up to £224 quite quickly. Even those on eBay make near retail price. Where do you get your John Lewis vouchers from at a discounted price please?
Hi Tracey, I am sorry I might have mislead.
I get the discount vouchers through a scheme at work. I think its quite common for many companys to provide this through something like xexec.
Even though the voucher web-site is a normal web-site, I looked and there is no way for a non-authorised member of the public to get an account...

all the best
colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:14 AM   #11
besca147
besca147 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_au View Post
Thats a bit odd isn't it. I would have thought that they could have got the software tweaked slightly to point to their ebook store. Was there at least a card that said "By the way we have an ebook store as well"
It is indeed. One would think perhaps we can link to several ebook sites but no. Not even the courtesy card you mentioned but then I already knew they sold ebooks.

Very odd
besca147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:21 AM   #12
Tracey
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel View Post
Hi Tracey, I am sorry I might have mislead.
I get the discount vouchers through a scheme at work. I think its quite common for many companys to provide this through something like xexec.
Even though the voucher web-site is a normal web-site, I looked and there is no way for a non-authorised member of the public to get an account...

all the best
Hi Colonel,

Thanks for clarifying. Not something my company subscribes to but i am pleased that yours does! Enjoy your reader!

Kind regards,

Tracey
Old 04-20-2009, 11:54 AM   #13
Gravitas
Muppet
Gravitas doesn't litterGravitas doesn't litter

Device: Zen Vision :M / Nokia 5800 musicXpress / Sony PRS500
I noticed that PRS 505 is also available from Argos for £224
Gravitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 08:37 AM   #14
the_ref
the_ref began at the beginning.

Device: Sony REader PRS-505
I'm going to buy a PRS-505 at the weekend - I see John Lewis online has them for £224, but you get a free leather case OR a free AC adapter.

does anyone know if they do this in store?

any other stores to try - or is £224 the best price anywhere?
the_ref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:18 PM   #15
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_ref View Post
I'm going to buy a PRS-505 at the weekend - I see John Lewis online has them for £224, but you get a free leather case OR a free AC adapter.

does anyone know if they do this in store?

any other stores to try - or is £224 the best price anywhere?
Dunno about the better price but they definitely have the SEXiest Sony Reader!
astra is offline   Reply With Quote