Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: (Kindle owners) Are you purchasing more books from Amazon?
Yes, books that I would have purchased elsewhere I'm buying from amazon.com. 20 29.41%
Yes, I'm reading more since I bought the Kindle. 34 50.00%
Yes, but it's probably just a honeymoon thing and will drop to normal. 1 1.47%
No, about the same or I'm just indecisive. 5 7.35%
No, less because I'm reading public domain and freebies. 3 4.41%
No, but I am purchasing from other sites 4 5.88%
No (Arghh! Have you every been to sea Billy?) 1 1.47%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-09-2008, 08:51 PM   #1
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Are you purchasing more books from Amazon?

For Kindle owners only. Have you been purchasing more books from amazon.com then you did before acquiring your Kindle?

Snappy answers to brilliant questions:
- Quantity is # of books and not $ value
- Yes I know the options aren't mutually exclusive but try to pick the closest match
- Yes I know there isn't a "blue one next to the fish" option.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:57 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Yes. They make it so easy (too easy and I like it!). The prices also make me willing to explore new authors I might have passed by in paper versions.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2008, 09:15 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
There should have been a "YES, DAMMIT!!!!" option. Today I signed up for Alfred Hitchcock's mystery magazine. Damn Amazon.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 01:35 AM   #4
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
There should have been a "YES, DAMMIT!!!!" option. Today I signed up for Alfred Hitchcock's mystery magazine. Damn Amazon.
Easy DG I have sensitive Eyes, Wow you get bolder with every Post!

JJ
Yep Mobile Read Hell
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 01:50 AM   #5
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Yes, but:

* I never bought that many books from Amazon before I got the Kindle
* I buy most books from other sources (Mainly Fictionwise.com)

I would probably buy more from Amazon, but I prefer to get a more open format (read: MS Lit) so I can reformat the books for other devices in the future.

Last edited by Donnageddon; 07-10-2008 at 01:51 AM. Reason: Parenthetical mistake
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2008, 02:44 AM   #6
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'm defiantly reading more, and all of it on my Kindle. And I have to say in Amazon's defense, MS Lit is just as closed as Amazon's AZW. It's just that Lit's DRM has been cracked and the tool widely distributed.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 06:45 AM   #7
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Yes, but:

* I never bought that many books from Amazon before I got the Kindle
* I buy most books from other sources (Mainly Fictionwise.com)

I would probably buy more from Amazon, but I prefer to get a more open format (read: MS Lit) so I can reformat the books for other devices in the future.
Whoops, I meant to add an option for "No, I'm buying books from other sites." I must have blacked out while posting again. Oh well it doesn't sound like it applies to you anyway.

I was thinking that the Kindle would retain book sales for amazon.com rather then increase them significantly but the early results of the poll indicate I'm wrong again.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:15 AM   #8
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Most things are openable, if you know how. Hypothetically, one could de-DRM anything Amazon sells except the topaz files and then have in a simple mobi format.

Hypothetically, of course.

But that is a fair issue... I still generally buy from Amazon over other options because of price and ease of use. And, quite frankly, Amazon is the only one who is selling what I'm buying more often than not.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:56 AM   #9
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
And there isn't a "The blue One, next to the Fiche" option, either.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:26 AM   #10
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
My answer is really a combination of answers one and two. I am reading more now that I have my Kindle, and I am buying books that I probably would have bought in pbook form from Borders (closest bookstore to me) in ebook form from Amazon.

I just plain love my Kindle, and everything about it.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:20 PM   #11
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I buy most of my ebooks from Fictionwise but Amazon gets my nod if the price is significantly lower and I'm willing to take a risk on getting a Topaz file.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 01:50 PM   #12
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I'm not buying *more* books from Amazon, but I'm buying more frequently. My usual buying pattern is to buy LOTS of books at one time -- maybe as many as 15 books -- and for the Kindle, I must "1-click" for each book.

So far, my credit card isn't imposing fees for the number of charges per month. But, the economy is bad and I wouldn't put it past them to do something like that in the same way that my bank years ago started charging if I wrote too many checks or visited the ATM too often. Until that happened, I never carried cash -- just wrote a check for whatever, even in small amounts. I guess with a debit card, I can revert to my "no cash" behavior.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 02:00 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
So far, my credit card isn't imposing fees for the number of charges per month. But, the economy is bad and I wouldn't put it past them to do something like that in the same way that my bank years ago started charging if I wrote too many checks or visited the ATM too often.
Except that the CC company usually gets paid a percentage of the purchase plus a transaction fee. So, they would rather see 2 $50 transactions than 1 $100 one. This is why fictionwise has Micropay... they are trying to limit their per transaction CC fess.

So, I doubt you will see your CC capping your transactions.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 02:04 PM   #14
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I am both reading more (since I now have a book with me everywhere) and I'm buying more from Amazon than I did before. I used to buy mostly from a brick and mortar. Amazon got my book business when they didn't have what I wanted, I couldn't get there in time, or for my birthday and xmas because of my wishlist. Now most of my books are Kindle books through Amazon.

I'm buying fewer books overall, though, since I don't try to buy in advance as I used to. Like Elsi, I'd go book shopping and try to stock up. This resulted in a lot of waste. Since I didn't have the time to hang around the bookstore reading into the books very far, I invariably ended up with books I didn't like enough to finish. I also ended up with some books that I didn't even start. My fancy passed for them before I picked them up. Now I only buy what I want to read at the moment. I read the sample through first. I've read many samples and NOT bought the book. Before, I would have. Of course if I don't read a Kindle book through I wouldn't feel quite as bad. Yes, it would be a small waste of money, but with the physical book it's such a waste of resources, too.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 03:03 PM   #15
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Of course if I don't read a Kindle book through I wouldn't feel quite as bad. Yes, it would be a small waste of money, but with the physical book it's such a waste of resources, too.
Need not be a waste of resources. Donate the book to a charity (your local library, even), give it away to someone who wants it, trade it for something you'd rather have, sell it to a second-hand store. I give books away and trade books. I tried selling to the second-hand store, but they wanted to pay me 25 cents per paperback and then sell them for 1/2 the original cover price. That seemed like too much margin for me, so I shop there but don't sell.

One frustration with the eBook evolution is that entire re-use, re-cycle, re-sell option disappears. Only thing left is re-read!
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote