Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-13-2014, 09:33 PM   #1051
fogice
Groupie
fogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Libra 2
setdate epoch seemed to take. However, I'm still without Recent and Title. (And I don't see how incorrect dates would affect Title.) Am I stuck? Do I need to factory reset, and if so, in what order should I do the steps this time in order to have the DB not broken?
fogice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:50 PM   #1052
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
It shouldn't, but it will definitely mess up the sorting by date ("Recent").

No idea why sorting with Title would misbehave, especially if sorting by Author doesn't. Make sure you're not using a weird filter (Cloud/Local; Books/Active Content/Peridocials/...).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2014, 02:37 AM   #1053
thisbook
thisbook began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
What kindle PW2 features would I be missing out on if I downgraded from 5.4.2.1 to 5.4.0? Is this downgrade even possible?? (I should mention that the device came with 5.4.2.1 pre-installed)

cheers.

Last edited by thisbook; 08-14-2014 at 03:47 AM. Reason: came with current FW version
thisbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:32 AM   #1054
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisbook View Post
What kindle PW2 features would I be missing out on if I downgraded from 5.4.2.1 to 5.4.0? Is this downgrade even possible?? (I should mention that the device came with 5.4.2.1 pre-installed)

cheers.
First: The "current" (changes frequently) firmware is 5.4.5.1

Second: Is this PW2 one with 2Gbytes of storage or the newer version with 4Gbytes of storage?
(Check the space available on your USB storage area - that will tell you.)

Since you posted in the CM thread, I am assuming you want to get Collections Manager working on your PW2.
Answers to the above will make it easier for us to advise you.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 02:16 PM   #1055
fogice
Groupie
fogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Libra 2
This is clearly the wrong thread for my problem above, I apologize. But I have now determined that it was a metadata problem. I paged through the Authors list, and every once in a while, the list display would freeze, leaving part of the screen blank. I would delete the last item listed using Calibre, as well as the following item that didn't appear, and repeat. Now that I can make it through the whole Authors list without blanks, and the Titles and Recent lists both appear properly.

How can I determine which of the files that I removed (but are still in Calibre) have bad metadata, and how can I repair those files? (I've tried searching, but I only find people talking about inaccurate metadata, not damaged metadata.)
fogice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2014, 06:44 PM   #1056
thisbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
First: The "current" (changes frequently) firmware is 5.4.5.1

Second: Is this PW2 one with 2Gbytes of storage or the newer version with 4Gbytes of storage?
(Check the space available on your USB storage area - that will tell you.)

Since you posted in the CM thread, I am assuming you want to get Collections Manager working on your PW2.
Answers to the above will make it easier for us to advise you.
Hey knc1,

I'm guessing I have the 2GB version, as there is 1,212 MB free. The serial number begins with 90D4 (It's from Australia), and is running FW 5.4.2.1.

I do want collections manager, but I'm also slightly partial to the goodreads functionality, so was wondering what features I would lose of i downgraded to 5.4.0 to enable full CM functionality.

Not sure if it matters, but my kindle is currently unregistered (purely because I'm enjoying screenavers that are not special offers), though if registration is required for CM then I'll register it.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:56 PM   #1057
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I believe there were suggestions that CM can create collections even unregistered. Certainly, the Kindle will freeze collections when you deregister, so it makes sense that if you insert them manually into the database the collections will show up. In fact, it may even be better that way, as you don't have to deal with Cloud Collections.

You do not need to downgrade unless you want nested collections.

Last edited by eschwartz; 08-14-2014 at 07:00 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 03:28 AM   #1058
thisbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I believe there were suggestions that CM can create collections even unregistered. Certainly, the Kindle will freeze collections when you deregister, so it makes sense that if you insert them manually into the database the collections will show up. In fact, it may even be better that way, as you don't have to deal with Cloud Collections.

You do not need to downgrade unless you want nested collections.
Thanks eschwartz!

I would like nested collections, and was wondering what PW2 functionality I would lose in the downgrade - and also if it was possible to downgrade my version to 5.4.0. But perhaps I should ask in the JB thread?
Old 08-15-2014, 05:15 AM   #1059
unabatedshagie
Enthusiast
unabatedshagie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Just bought a PW and managed to get it jailbroken, I'd like to try and get CM working on it.

It's running 5.4.3.2 (2317380003) and it appears to be a 4Gig version.

Am I right in thinking that I am unable to use CM?
unabatedshagie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:04 AM   #1060
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by unabatedshagie View Post
Just bought a PW and managed to get it jailbroken, I'd like to try and get CM working on it.

It's running 5.4.3.2 (2317380003) and it appears to be a 4Gig version.

Am I right in thinking that I am unable to use CM?
Yes, that is correct.
Amazon broke "Active Documents" on the 4Gbyte storage version in firmware's earlier than 5.4.5 and there is not a CM port for version 5.4.5 (or 5.4.5.anything).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:06 AM   #1061
unabatedshagie
Enthusiast
unabatedshagie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Yes, that is correct.
Amazon broke "Active Documents" on the 4Gbyte storage version in firmware's earlier than 5.4.5 and there is not a CM port for version 5.4.5 (5.4.5.anything).
Fiddlesticks.

Guess I'm stuck with pages and pages of books then. :-/

Least the search works well enough.
unabatedshagie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:07 AM   #1062
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisbook View Post
Thanks eschwartz!

I would like nested collections, and was wondering what PW2 functionality I would lose in the downgrade - and also if it was possible to downgrade my version to 5.4.0. But perhaps I should ask in the JB thread?
You can downgrade to 5.4.0 -- HOWEVER there is no update.bin released from Amazon, as it was the first released version of the firmware for the PW2.

The downgrade is possible because the MR Kindle devs () created partition images of a PW2 running the 5.4.0 firmware. (The unofficial images come with the JB preinstalled -- the device had to be jailbroken to be backed up. )

You can find those images here: http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-images/PW2/

Regarding what functionality you will lose -- that is a simple matter of "what features did Amazon add after 5.4.0?" I believe Goodreads came after at some point, as did the lookahead and popup footnotes, but I am not sure as I don't have one and I didn't keep track. I know not having Cloud Collections is a reason for a number of MR members to want to downgrade, though. GO AMAZON!

That particular update was just not well-thought-out at all.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:48 PM   #1063
simtim86
simtim86 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
My Kindle PW2 4GB (Japan) with first 4 character 905A and update firmware 5.4.5.1. I 've jailbreak and MKK. How can I use CM?
simtim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:56 PM   #1064
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Downgrade to a firmware that CM supports. Anything up to 5.4.3.2

(Since you have the Japanese 4GB it should work.)
Old 08-15-2014, 03:22 PM   #1065
scottmc
scottmc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I've got a PW2 4gig running 5.4.5.1, so I'm glad I checked this thread before forging ahead with CM.

Anyone have an insight into whether the firmware incompatibility with CM will be resolved any time soon?
scottmc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
collections, collections manager, kindle touch hacks