Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-15-2011, 07:49 AM   #1
aero13792468
aero13792468 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Min screen size for A4 pages

So I have these books in PDF format, anywhere up to A4 size (that's just a little bit taller and thinner than US letter I think).

I want to buy an eReader to read them. But there won't be reflow. The 6" Kindle looks too small, though I haven't tried it.

What is the smallest screen size acceptable for reading A4?
aero13792468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:10 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
It depends on your sight and the font size of the PDF.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2011, 09:15 AM   #3
aero13792468

20/20 and 12pt
Old 05-15-2011, 09:37 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And what's the minimum font size you'd be comfortable with?
Old 05-15-2011, 09:41 AM   #5
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Cropped PDF's read in the landscape orientation on the baby Kindle are ok.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2011, 10:34 AM   #6
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
My daughter's comfortable with reading letter-sized pages with 12-pt font on a 6" Kindle screen. I can if I use the landscape view; I get more annoyed with the page breaks than the font size.

That's small enough that you really should find someone with a device to check it out; the line between "a little small, but I can put up with it" and "too small to read for more than a minute or two" is very much a matter of personal preference.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:13 PM   #7
aero13792468

ok, well it sounds dangerous enough to avoid the 6". Come to think of it they should display 10pt and even 8pt for notes and legends. I will read Indian scripts which are difficult even in books and can't see myself jimmying PDFs before.
9" are just so expensive
thanks for replies
Old 05-15-2011, 12:56 PM   #8
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

An A4 is 21cm wide. A 6" screen is around 12cm high, so if you turn the reader in portrait orientation, you're fittin 21cm in 12cm, which is a 12/21 = 57% scale. That turns a 12pt font into ~6.85pt

If the A4 PDF has 1in margins, the text is ~16cm and the scale is 75%, with which 12pt becomes 9pt
Old 05-15-2011, 01:38 PM   #9
aero13792468

Hope they bring out a reader with 210x270mm. Whole idea of eReaders was to replace paper I thought. You lose something in reflow. I still prefer reading PDFs on my PC than epubs.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:00 AM   #10
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hello

With the readers on sale today it’s:

1 - Kindle Dxg (with Duokan preferably);
or
2 - Pocketbook 902/903.

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, minimum, pdf, screen, size