Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-21-2010, 02:43 AM   #1
mypolar
Enthusiast
mypolar began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505 Yeah! Palm Tungesten E2
Why is Kindle 3 REINDEXING books that were already indexed?

Hi,

Anyone know why my Kindle 3 has to reindex my books? I'm getting no where with Amazon cuxtomer service- my experience with them has been there VERY pleasant but not helpful in resloving issues. First my original Kindle kept stalling then losing all my indexed books which were previously indexed (over 600) so I could not take my Kindle with me since I needed to keep it plugged in. After this happened again they said my unit was defective and sent me a replacement-no troubleshooting-just a replacement. When got the new unit no one in customer service could tell me how to restore my 700 books back into collections. Infact they had me click on all 700 books one at a time, from my archive items to restore them to my home page! After 2 weeks I still had not rebuilt my collections then found a solution on the forum that if deregister and reregister my kindle my collections will be fixed! Why no one at Amazon customer service knew this I dont know. But once again ALL of my 700 books suddenly need to be indexed again! So it looks like I went through this replacement farce for nothing :-0. I have not contacted Amazon customer service since they have been no help thus far just super NICE.
FYI the index issue started BEFORE I deregister and reregister my Kindle -I was hoping that would fix it since a reset did not work.

Anyone know why this is happening and how to stop it from reocurring?

Anyone know any other ebook readers that have the ablity to search and do annotations? I like my Kindle but I need a reader that is reliable bcause I do a lot of research and can't keep losing my indexes( and the ability to take me Kindle with me since it has to be plugged in for this rebuild of my indexes). These indexes can take over a day to restore.

Sorry for the long post- I'm going batty with this device :-)

Thank you for any help!
mypolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 05:09 AM   #2
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
I'm afraid to say that in my case the re-indexing of my books (2000) signaled the deteroriration of my Kindle. It was the sign of it's getting unstable.
I would let it charge while that indexing is done, as it takes a lot of batterylife (which isn't properly indicated on the Kindle) and hope for the best. Don't do anything on it during that time.
To see if it is still indexing, try to type a random search like ' xdaqz' or some other; it will show the number of books to be indexed.

This being said; I hope it will work out. Positive thing about Amazon customer service is that they're quick and friendly.
And if you've got a really big problem; it is best to phone, not to email. And if you think it could be better; phone twice; to get another person on the line.

BTW. Did you load all your books in one go on the Kindle? I've experienced that it's best to do in it batches of 2/300, let it charge while indexing (can take some hours though) and give it a rest.

Good luck.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2010, 05:58 AM   #3
enkov
Advanced Dunno
enkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle Fire HDX 7 + Paperwhite 2013
I think Index is common for all books, not for every single book. So it need to reindex all if you add a lot of books at once. If you add a book or two it may use additional index files and search first in the main index then in new index files. And somewhat triggered to reindex all when needed. This is my opinion - I do not have Kindle source files.

I also give it to charge for a 2-3 hours when adding more than 5 books at once.
enkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 06:11 AM   #4
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by enkov View Post
I think Index is common for all books, not for every single book. So it need to reindex all if you add a lot of books at once. If you add a book or two it may use additional index files and search first in the main index then in new index files. And somewhat triggered to reindex all when needed. This is my opinion - I do not have Kindle source files.

I also give it to charge for a 2-3 hours when adding more than 5 books at once.
No, sometimes it will also spontaneously start the re-indexing of all books, and that can be a problem if you have a lot of books, as it renders the Kindle unstable. It also can be that the Kindle is already unstable and the re-indexing is a symptom.

And yes, that's a good strategy, to charge it as a rule, after downloading > 5 books.

Amazon says 3500 books. That may be, but the Kindle has also has to have some space left to do its own thing, like indexing/searching.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 06:27 AM   #5
enkov
Advanced Dunno
enkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud of

Yes, it have approx 200-300MB index files in my Kindle 2.

I don't know - maybe Calibre can do reindexing at the PC side and then put indexes to the Kindle? I hate Calibre to touch my Kindles so I can't verify this. I use Calibre always offline (not connected to my Kindle).

If the reindexing is causing Kindle unstability it means that this is either poorly written software (I am a software engineer and University teacher of programming) or in some Kindles it is bad or broken NAND chips - making kernel panic or hardware error in heavy use. All is due to the reason to keep the price low (manufacturing price, not retail price). If they had put more RAM and put some fast SLC NAND for virtual memory or system partition - it will be ok, but will be more expensive. This is a general problem with all new embedded devices. In my practice I once had the embedded device (made by company I work as a consultant) that uses cheap MLC NAND but the firmware writes every 100ms or 1s the clock state and after an year a whole bunch of installed devices are blown and had to be replaced. Then we changed the firmware not to write such often to the NAND. Reindexing, keeping in mind that Kindles have too small amount of RAM and slow NAND, is heavy job for the Kindle's hardware.
Advert
Old 11-21-2010, 07:56 AM   #6
mypolar
Enthusiast

[QUOTE=desertblues;1227273]I'm afraid to say that in my case the re-indexing of my books (2000) signaled the deteroriration of my Kindle. It was the sign of it's getting unstable.

ugh! how depressing. :-( It really scarcy if these problems might mean my replacement of less than 3 weeks old is a dud too. Thanks for the reply.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:25 AM   #7
mypolar
Enthusiast

Unhappy

Quote:

If the reindexing is causing Kindle unstability it means that this is either poorly written software (I am a software engineer and University teacher of programming) or in some Kindles it is bad or broken NAND chips - making kernel panic or hardware error in heavy use. All is due to the reason to keep the price low (manufacturing price, not retail price). If they had put more RAM and put some fast SLC NAND for virtual memory or system partition - it will be ok, but will be more expensive. This is a general problem with all new embedded devices. In my practice I once had the embedded device (made by company I work as a consultant) that uses cheap MLC NAND but the firmware writes every 100ms or 1s the clock state and after an year a whole bunch of installed devices are blown and had to be replaced. Then we changed the firmware not to write such often to the NAND. Reindexing, keeping in mind that Kindles have too small amount of RAM and slow NAND, is heavy job for the Kindle's hardware.
I believe your right. It is sooooo frustrating for it to suddenly lose all my indexes out of the blue. No warning No crash just went to do a search and all books that were indexed weeks ago no longer are. I've used less than a 3rd of the memory. This is such a bummer. My aunt made me a big box of chocolate covered peanuts for Thanksgiving I'm so irritated by this Kindle I'm thinking of eating them ALL now with a big glass of milk! ;-) Then- see what new device Sony has to offer. My Sony 505 is over 2 years old and never had any issues like this Kindle. Just want a device with a search and highlight feature that will function well for at least a year! UGH!

Thank you everyone for your help- I'm off to chocolate land . ha ha. :-)
Old 11-21-2010, 08:40 AM   #8
enkov
Advanced Dunno

If you don't use search in your books you can stop the indexing with stopIndexing debug command but it will last until you restart your Kindle. How to enter the debug mode - search to "debugOn Kindle 2" or "debugOn Kindle 3" in Google.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:44 AM   #9
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
I think Index is common for all books, not for every single book. ...
The Kindle makes separate index files for each book plus two additional files which likely are top level master indexes. They are stored in the "/system/Search Indexes" folder.

I backup my complete Kindle by simply copying all visible files (I use Windows with "show hidden files and folders" turned on) to a storage folder on an external hard drive. As yet, I haven't needed to do a restore so I can't say how complete a recovery would be. I would suspect that a complete overwrite of the Kindle documents folder and all of the index files should prevent the need to reindex.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:58 AM   #10
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Keep Kindle WiFi 3 plugged in for indexiing large amounts

When I downloaded the Unabridged Matthew Henry Commentary with DVJ by Osnova, I kept it plugged in overnight. That will insure enough current to complete the job.

Otherwise, if done with inadequate power, it may require several sessions of incomplete indexing and never really finish.

That Commentary was 27.7 Mb versus the average book of 1.5 Mb.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 02:21 PM   #11
mypolar
Enthusiast

Quote:
If you don't use search in your books you can stop the indexing with stopIndexing debug command but it will last until you restart your Kindle. How to enter the debug mode - search to "debugOn Kindle 2" or "debugOn Kindle 3" in Google.
Thanks this is a GREAT tip since if I can stop a reindexing until I have it plugged in at night I would still be able to carry my Kindle during the day. Yippee!
Old 11-21-2010, 02:26 PM   #12
mypolar
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
The Kindle makes separate index files for each book plus two additional files which likely are top level master indexes. They are stored in the "/system/Search Indexes" folder.

I backup my complete Kindle by simply copying all visible files (I use Windows with "show hidden files and folders" turned on) to a storage folder on an external hard drive. As yet, I haven't needed to do a restore so I can't say how complete a recovery would be. I would suspect that a complete overwrite of the Kindle documents folder and all of the index files should prevent the need to reindex.
Thanks will look for these hidden folders since this sounds much quicker than waiting for my Kindle to reindex
Old 11-21-2010, 02:31 PM   #13
mypolar
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
When I downloaded the Unabridged Matthew Henry Commentary with DVJ by Osnova, I kept it plugged in overnight. That will insure enough current to complete the job.

Otherwise, if done with inadequate power, it may require several sessions of incomplete indexing and never really finish.

That Commentary was 27.7 Mb versus the average book of 1.5 Mb.
Will keep it plugged in-didnt know Osnova had done the MHC- I might need to buy that one. Thanks:-)
Old 11-23-2010, 10:43 PM   #14
r0b0d0c
r0b0d0c began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
My K3 has started acting up as some of you have reported. I have about 1,200 books loaded, and it's recently started doing repeated spontaneous restarts. When I checked how many were indexing, ALL of them were, last night! The number kept coming down as I'd recheck a "nonsense search," until only 30 were still indexing tonight. It did a couple of spontaneous restarts again, so I did a manual reboot, and now ALL 1,200 books are again "indexing!" Should that happen with a reboot? Or is this 1-1/2 month old Kindle ready for a replacement? (Sure hate to do that, since it means reloading lots of books, and making another 30 "collections," which is time consuming...)

Before this, my only problem was the Kindle "freezing" after doing a "highlight." After 2 or 3 highlights, the screen would freeze for about 5 min, then back to normal.

Never had any problems with my K2 or K1......
r0b0d0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:48 PM   #15
r0b0d0c
r0b0d0c began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
BTW, I have firmware 3.0.3, and no hacks.
r0b0d0c is offline   Reply With Quote