Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-07-2010, 10:30 AM   #1
troymc
Groupie
troymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505 + B&N Nook + Motion LE1700 + Motorola Xoom Wifi
Error text overwrites page text?

Ok, I'm still not sure how Sigil (or is it Tidy?) handles xhtml/css errors. It would appear that when an error is found, the buffer is replaced with the HTML of an error page. But what happens to background, non-viewed pages which contain the error (it was a global s&r)? They are never opened, and so never rendered. Are they somehow run thru Tidy and "fixed"?

I made a typo in a search/replace of a style parameter and now 85 chapters of verse have been reduced to this:
Code:
<body>
  <p>/* 
<![CDATA[*/

/*]]>
 */</p>
</body>
I know, I know. It's not enough to save to disk. I should be making backups or using source control.

3 weeks of editing gone - I have a headache.

Troy
troymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:34 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by troymc View Post
Ok, I'm still not sure how Sigil (or is it Tidy?) handles xhtml/css errors. It would appear that when an error is found, the buffer is replaced with the HTML of an error page. But what happens to background, non-viewed pages which contain the error (it was a global s&r)? They are never opened, and so never rendered. Are they somehow run thru Tidy and "fixed"?

I made a typo in a search/replace of a style parameter and now 85 chapters of verse have been reduced to this:
Code:
<body>
  <p>/* 
<![CDATA[*/

/*]]>
 */</p>
</body>
I know, I know. It's not enough to save to disk. I should be making backups or using source control.

Troy
If that happens, BAIL OUT (Quit-- DISCARD)

Frequent saves of the last "almost there" version, before any global S + R is a good idea.

I believe that Valloric already has multiple "temp saves" on the to do list.

and, Yes, I really hate it when Tidy (or whatever) fixes a "Typo" that way.
Can't it "Ask" before it deletes content?

Last edited by theducks; 07-07-2010 at 11:35 AM. Reason: typo
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2010, 11:34 AM   #3
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
But what happens to background, non-viewed pages which contain the error (it was a global s&r)? They are never opened, and so never rendered. Are they somehow run thru Tidy and "fixed"?
Yes. All the chapters that have been opened are stored as a DOM (parsed XML) in memory. To do that, the XML needs to be valid.

So when a global search&replace operation screws up the mark-up, Tidy runs to try and fix it. It usually does a good job of this. But if you really screwed up the code, well then... bad things happen.

Quote:
Code:
<body>
  <p>/* 
<![CDATA[*/

/*]]>
 */</p>
</body>
That's got to hurt.

Quote:

I feel for you, I really do. I plan to add an autosave feature that would save your document to three rotating backups every five minutes or so. You could then always open one of those.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:13 PM   #4
troymc
Groupie
troymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
If that happens, BAIL OUT (Quit-- DISCARD)

Frequent saves of the last "almost there" version, before any global S + R is a good idea.
Yeah, I was trying to do that. I just didn't think the unopened pages would get "fixed" when I hit save that one last time - I thought they would be saved with the error which I could then go in & fix manually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Yes. All the chapters that have been opened are stored as a DOM (parsed XML) in memory. To do that, the XML needs to be valid.

So when a global search&replace operation screws up the mark-up, Tidy runs to try and fix it.
Thanks! It's nice to at least understand what it's doing.

Quote:
It usually does a good job of this. But if you really screwed up the code, well then... bad things happen.
And it's amazing how bad a one character typo can screw up mark-up!

Quote:
I feel for you, I really do. I plan to add an autosave feature that would save your document to three rotating backups every five minutes or so. You could then always open one of those.
I'll be looking forward to that. It would have really saved my butt!

Troy
Old 07-07-2010, 07:02 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

And it's amazing how bad a one character typo can screw up mark-up!

Troy
You Jinxed me.

I forgot a "space" in a modified Tag

1 Chapter - >
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2010, 08:46 PM   #6
troymc
Groupie

Quote:
You Jinxed me.

1 Chapter - >

We need to ban this thread before anyone else gets caught up in it and loses precious work!

Troy
Old 07-07-2010, 09:07 PM   #7
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Ah, the Pink Screen of Death!

Quote:
You Jinxed me.

1 Chapter - >
Yup, the Dreaded Pink Screen O'Death. Generating the Dreaded Pink Screen O'Death is one of my superpowers. I have learned the lesson, tho; change somethin', hit save. Change my CSS? Hit save. Spit? Hit Save. Scratch my butt? Well....you get the drift.

I never get it with S&R (becuz I am a big honking S&R chicken), but I magically almost always manage to do it when I'm creating a drop cap...something about manually typing the closing </span> screws me up constantly, and then, Bob's-yer-uncle, the Pink Screen O'Death.

ALTHOUGH, I do occasionally get them for Bizarro-World reasons; like I typed a &ldquot; inside of a span, and for some reason, that ampersand makes Sigil go completely wonky and I get the PSO'D. One of these days I'll remember well enough exactly what I did to submit a bug report.

Sorry, Ducks, and Poetry Dude (Troy). I feel your pain, I truly do.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote