have fading with my PRS 600 screen 16 40.00%
do not have fading with my PRS 600 screen 13 32.50%
have fading with my PRS 300 screen 8 20.00%
do not have fading with my PRS 300 screen 7 17.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-09-2009, 05:13 AM   #1
lev
Zealot
lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Exclamation screen fading test poll for 600 & 300

Hi all,

my new 600 has been having problems with fading under direct sunlight. I called sony customer care (online) and the person there said it is normal under strong sunlight and humid areas. Now I live in Guam so here the sun can get pretty harsh - enough to give you a tan in an hour. However today has not been that hot and when I tried to read on the beach it was a no go. nothing on the screen at all except some annotations (dunno why but annotations seems to be ok. I suppose because they are in general darker)

I know somehave similar problems with fading and some don't. It would be nice to see a poll where people can try out and report how their screen behaves so we can get an idea of how prevalent these so called defective screens are. Also might be good in those times when talking to customer service and pointing out that fading is not normal!

Hope you can contribute and let us all know how bad the problem is!
lev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:34 AM   #2
NightWhistler
Developer of PageTurner
NightWhistler began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S3, Asus Transformer Prime
I did notice this yesterday, when I was reading a book outside in the sun... it's only noticeable in direct sunlight though: right now I don't see any fading.

Also: my fading was limited to about 2 lines of text looking like they'd been printed on a laser-printer that was running low on toner. Nowhere near as dramatic as you described.
NightWhistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2009, 05:38 AM   #3
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
It's a known issue, a batch of screen manufactured by LG are defective and have this problem. Call back customer service and have it exchanged.
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:43 AM   #4
lev
Zealot
lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faenad View Post
It's a known issue, a batch of screen manufactured by LG are defective and have this problem. Call back customer service and have it exchanged.
is there a statement or reference from sony about this problem that I can show to customer service reps when they insist it is normal for it to fade in sunlight?
when I called they just told me its normal and when I insisted they told me call level 2 technical support which i will later tonight to see what they say...
Old 10-09-2009, 06:47 AM   #5
lev
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWhistler View Post
I did notice this yesterday, when I was reading a book outside in the sun... it's only noticeable in direct sunlight though: right now I don't see any fading.

Also: my fading was limited to about 2 lines of text looking like they'd been printed on a laser-printer that was running low on toner. Nowhere near as dramatic as you described.
yes mine is also in direct sunlight.
as for the level of fading, it depends how strong the sunlight is. this afternoon was cloudy and not so clear so under direct sunlight just a few lines looked washed out. however this morning when it was nice and suny (keep in mind Guam is a tropical island with strong sun) the screen was totally faded. almost like blank screen with some ghost lettering..
Advert
Old 10-09-2009, 07:49 AM   #6
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by lev View Post
is there a statement or reference from sony about this problem that I can show to customer service reps when they insist it is normal for it to fade in sunlight?
when I called they just told me its normal and when I insisted they told me call level 2 technical support which i will later tonight to see what they say...
There is no statement from Sony but the cause of the issue was confirmed by representatives of Pocketbook when their devices showed the same symptoms.
To make sure, you can open your device (unscrew four screws, then push the back cover a bit to the side and open it) and check the model number of the E-Ink panel. ED060Sxx is PVI, LB060Sxx is LG-Philips.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:32 PM   #7
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
*bump*

Does anyone know how to read the Sony serial #? Does it incorporate a lot # or indication of what sort of screen is used?

William

Last edited by WillAdams; 05-06-2010 at 07:20 AM. Reason: typos
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fading, sunlight