Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-02-2010, 01:46 AM   #1
C.Jones81
C.Jones81 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Convert Chinese UTF-8 TXT file into ePub??

Can someone tell me if its possible to convert Chinese UTF-8 TXT file into ePub format?? If yes, how???

I have heaps of chinese novels (in UTF-8 TXT format) that I want to turn into ePub format
C.Jones81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:48 AM   #2
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Yes - you should just be able to convert it, assuming it has a UTF-8 BOM. If there is no BOM then you need to specify an input encoding before you convert it.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2010, 07:08 AM   #3
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
utf-8 is the default assumed file encoding for TXT input. It is also the default output encoding for EPUB. It should convert just fine without you having to change anything. If you are having an issue converting with the characters showing properly let us know.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 03:44 AM   #4
C.Jones81
C.Jones81 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
utf-8 is the default assumed file encoding for TXT input. It is also the default output encoding for EPUB. It should convert just fine without you having to change anything. If you are having an issue converting with the characters showing properly let us know.
I have just looked at my TXT files. The encoding of these files are "Unicode" rather than "UTF-8" - is this a problem? When I convert these TXT files (which are Unicode) into ePub format, there are problems with the characters - only strange symbols such as "?" are shown - what should I do?
C.Jones81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:32 AM   #5
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
If you know what variant of unicode (e.g. UTF-16, UTF-32) then you can specify the encoding under the 'Look and Feel' options - there is a box there to enter the encoding. If you're not really sure what encoding to use then it's probably easier to re-save the text file as UTF-8.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert