Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 11-29-2010, 07:23 PM   #1
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Question for techies re:Hacked AdobeViewer

I wonder if someone with Linux knowledge could answer this question?

I believe the Hacked AdobeViewer.app, which allows us to customise fonts for EPUBs, does so with a minor string edit where
Code:
res:///adobe/pxf/userStyle.css
is changed to
Code:
res:///mnt/ext1/userStyle1.css
i.e file userStyle1.css in the root dir of main memory.

Please correct me if I've got this wrong, but in the new firmware v15.3 it looks as though
Code:
res:///adobe/pxf/userStyle.css
has become
Code:
res:///userStyle.css
With such a short path/filename, is it ever going to be possible to hack it to one which is user accessible? It's my understanding that you have to keep the number of characters constant.

I really hope I'm wrong
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:35 PM   #2
tselling
Addict
tselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enough

Device: NookColor (MiRage/CM7.2 & Moon+ Reader Pro)
I tried it previously and could not find a way to hack AdobeViewer.app in version 15.3b to use a userstyle.css. The good news is you can use the hacked 15.2 version of AdobeViewer.app with 15.3b firmware.... you can also keep the original one in 15.3b as well should you have a file that doesn't work with the 15.2 version. Just name the hacked 15.2 version AdobeViewer152.app and modifying the extensions.cfg file to include all the versions of the viewers you want in the order of preference you want.
tselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2010, 09:24 PM   #3
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you for a speedy response, tselling, and for a suggested workaround.

I'm so disappointed with this decision. Is it a deliberate attempt to close off AdobeViewer? What can be the possible harm in users choosing their own fonts? In fact I wonder why the developers haven't built in the hack as standard. Does no-one at Adobe (and PocketBook???) read the ereader forums. Many Sony-reader users also use a similar hack.

I guess another workaround is to add the contents of userStyle1.css into the css file inside each EPUB either manually or via Calibre. Not difficult to do but not as convenient, and not possible for DRM'd books.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:41 AM   #4
LoneTech
Zealot
LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.

Device: PocketBook Pro 903
It's quite possible they actually already look in a more useful location, such as your profile directory. The string is also long enough to fit /mnt/ext1, although the filename is then only 4 characters - may have to make those .css if it actually looks for information in them (which, incidentally, is not permitted on FAT). There are probably other options too, like putting a symlink in /tmp. I can't tell any of these for sure as I still don't have a pocketbook.
LoneTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:08 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneTech View Post
It's quite possible they actually already look in a more useful location, such as your profile directory.
The difference is that previously res: pointed to the root of the filesystem tree ("/"), but now it is pointing somewhere else. There may be a string for that location, which might be /adobe/pxf (say). I agree that it might possibly be a user accessible location, but if so why doesn't PocketBook say so.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2010, 05:30 PM   #6
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks for replying, guys. I guess we'll just have to wait and see when/if a final v15.3 turns up.