Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-30-2013, 04:49 PM   #61
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by idoit View Post
A genuine question: What are you guys actually doing with this emulator?
In Kindle's mind: "What the f^34 do you guys want from me? Leave me alone!"
Not much -
It was just a neat technical challenge.

Pop is using his emulator as far as I know.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:33 PM   #62
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
I was not aware of this thread until knc1 just brought it to my attention.

This is actually kind of cool. My first job was IBM-360 programming in COBOL. Years later, I did IBM 360 assembler. I loved the nice orthogonal instruction set.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2014, 05:10 PM   #63
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
I was not aware of this thread until knc1 just brought it to my attention.

This is actually kind of cool. My first job was IBM-360 programming in COBOL. Years later, I did IBM 360 assembler. I loved the nice orthogonal instruction set.
I thought you had missed this, because of your long experience with COBOL and never a comment, like: "Come on how, get serious".

With the long silence, I was thinking: "He has seen enough of COBOL to last anyone more than a single life time".

I had not realized that OS-360 had fallen into the public domain before I started gathering stuff for this thread.

I just realized that I have the disk image files linked to in the top of this thread blocked with a "Leech Guard" panel - PM me if you need access to those.

The collections of IBM Mainframe related files are still up - search the repo site for my nickname, to be sure you hit everything I have pushed.

Currently, twobob and I are splitting our hobby time between Kindles and a new, low cost, quad-core tablet.
It might be fun to port this stuff to the tablet (someday).

This is certainly not one of our most popular threads, but anyway. . ..

Last edited by knc1; 01-08-2014 at 05:22 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:02 PM   #64
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
... Currently, twobob and I are splitting our hobby time between Kindles and a new, low cost, quad-core tablet.
It might be fun to port this stuff to the tablet (someday). ...
My "hobby" time (what little there is) is mostly learning more about the new renaissance of Virtual Reality (thanks to Oculus Rift, Virtuix Omni, and soon CastAR). Studying 3D math, Unity3D, and trying to wrap my mind around the differences between C (which I can code in my sleep) and C++ (ouch!)...

I have a huge collection of books (and tech) from the 80's and 90's devoted to VR, and now that the hardware is ready and affordable to make it a consumer commodity, I'm there.

My kindles are still very important, and in fact my PW is what I use to read my ebooks on the subjects mentioned above. But they are PDFs, so perhaps I need a custom reader app like koreader...

Believe it or not, I had an IBM 360/30 dedicated to my own personal use in about 1976. It had a line printer that printed either american '$' symbol or british pound sign, depending on which colunm that character code appeared in (apparently fixed with "spare" parts). It was in a warehouse that was not air-conditioned, in the hottest part of summer, so failed regularly. Once while I watched, the tech opened the front panel and replaced the IBM punch cards behind the panel that pressed against a large array of microswitches. That was the firmware that contained the instruction set. It was held in place by a punch ball, inflated by an air compressor. Strange but true. As I recall, the firmware punch cards looked like normal punchcards, but were mylar-coated to make them last longer.

Please tell me (or PM me) details about the tablet you are using. My (old model) Nexus 7 has a damaged touchscreen (cracked glass), and although it works with USB keyboard and mouse, that is so inconvenient I did not use it after testing that USB inputs work. I need a replacement, so please tell me what y'all are playing with...

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-08-2014 at 06:59 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
launcher add-ons