Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-28-2009, 07:30 PM   #1
tklaus
Connoisseur
tklaus doesn't littertklaus doesn't litter

Device: iPad, Kindle DX
DX, PDF, and Page Numbers

Based on all of the PDFs that I have read with my DX so far, and based on comments here, I have been under the impression that for purposes of the 'Go to Page' function, the DX just numbers the pages from the beginning of the document. For most documents, this means that if you 'Go to' the page numbers in the table of contents, you end up on a different page because most documents have some preliminary pages preceding the actual 'page 1'.

However, today I was reading a PDF that is part of the Mathematica documentation set, and I noticed that the DX actually recognized the page numbers from the document. The document has pages i-vi for the title pages and table of contents, followed by pages 1-n, and when displaying one of the TOC pages, the bottom line on the DX read 'Page iv (4 of 364)'. Also, if I use the 'Go to Page' function and type in 'v', it actually takes me to page 'v', and if I enter one of the page numbers from the TOC, it takes me to the right page. Has anyone else noticed this with other PDFs? Here's the document if you are interested:

http://www.wolfram.com/learningcente...reLanguage.pdf

It seems that at least some PDFs have the necessary metadata to make the page numbering work correctly. I still want a clickable TOC though!
tklaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:20 PM   #2
SalvaG
Enthusiast
SalvaG is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle DX
Yes, I noticed that in the first pdf I read. What I do then is edit any wrong pdf before loading it into the kindle to correct page numbers, etc. It's essential since toc/links are useless.

Last edited by SalvaG; 06-28-2009 at 08:23 PM.
SalvaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert