Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 09-15-2008, 07:50 PM   #1
mad snowboarder
mad snowboarder began at the beginning.

Device: handheld
Uk

I am about to buy a hand held read kindle?
I am about to but one from the USA, my question is will it work the same in the UK?
mad snowboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:04 PM   #2
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
> will it work the same in the UK?

It works exactly the same if you're talking about reading books.

The whispernet facility is implemented on the Sprint cellular network in the USA, so you won't be able to have Amazon transmit books directly to your Kindle. You can, however, download to your PC and then transfer to the Kindle with the USB cable.

Note that in order to buy books from Amazon.com, you must have a US credit card with a US billing address.

While I really like my Kindle very much, I realize that you may be happier with a Sony or a Cybook, both of which are sold in the UK.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2008, 09:49 PM   #3
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Indeed, as unless you really want the keyboard to make notes, you can get pretty much everything in the Cybook Gen3 as the kindles wireless is not going to work in the UK.

The other reason, the Amazon E-book store (which is only really an option if you have a US credit card) while having great prices is more or less comparabe to the prices you can get at sites like booksonboard and Fictionwise, even if you may have to comparison shop at times to get the best deals.

As for availability of books, while Amazon probably does get them first, the others shall probably get them soon as well, as Mobipocket is an amazon subsidiary.

The advantage of getting the Gen 3 is that you can easily buy books from a number of stores without having to worry about whether you have a US credit carf, or getting gift cards. Also, you'll get the full warranty as Bookeen is a European company.

Finally the Gen 3 has support for TTF fonts, so you can load the font you are most comfortable with for reading onto it. Also it supports multiple dictionaries at the same time, something the kindle does not currently do.It is also the lightest of the e-ink readers available.

Pricewise, while the Gen 3 is usually the most expensive, WH Smith is advertising one for £180 which includes a case, making it the best deal in the UK. And it appears to be in stock right now so if you want it you can order it right now.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote