Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-22-2014, 07:22 AM   #61
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
What is the difference between Sigil-without-WYSIWYG/WYSINWYW-editing, and calibre's ebook-edit? Both offer preview, and honestly I wasn't aware that there was any difference between that and Book View.
Not sure. But as much as I appreciate calibre's book-edit, its very existence and success doesn't need to preempt tinking, improving, altering Sigil, does it? People like what they like. *shrug*
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:01 AM   #62
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Hi,
For me it's all of the calibre added, overhead, css, new classes names, only metadata meta tags supported that they store internally in calibre, etc ... plus sometimes you just don't want your code played with at all. in any way. This would be doable with a modified Sigil. But in general, you are right, they are very close.

My 2 cents ...

Edit: There is already a linked Preview ability in Sigil that disallows editing that the BookView Editor class actually inherits from. Using only that should prevent any entity replacement at all.

Kevin
Only conversion adds Calibre styles. Editor works on what you feed it (EPUB/AZW3).

The only WYSIWYG features I use in Sigil or Calibre:
1) Split
2)<Click at a point to Synch the CV to this location>
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2014, 09:05 AM   #63
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Sure. If you don't mind an ugly Google Drive Link.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5C...it?usp=sharing

Latest source from git, patched with KevinH's new_preserve_entities patch and compiled with Qt5.3.1
Thanks for creating this ad-hoc build. I just did a quick test with the patched version, which I installed on top of the existing installation, and it seems that the problem still exists.

I entered the following text in Code View:

Code:
<p>&ldquo;bla bla&rdquo;</p>
I then switched to Book View and entered random characters between "bla bla." When I switched back to Code View, the entities were gone:

Code:
<p>“bla xyz bla”</p>
This also happened when I used numerical entities (&#8220; and &#8221;).

Maybe this is a Windows issue or maybe installing Sigil on top of an existing installation didn't replace whatever file needed to be replaced. (The date stamp of the QT5 files and the Sigil executable in the Sigil folder is 07/21/2014 and I started Sigil by double-clicking the .exe file.)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:37 AM   #64
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Not sure. But as much as I appreciate calibre's book-edit, its very existence and success doesn't need to preempt tinking, improving, altering Sigil, does it? People like what they like. *shrug*
True. But I figured the people who strictly want to use code view would probably prefer calibre, since it is much more code-geared already, and having multiple tools to do the same thing is not nearly as useful as having tools to do different things.

In any event, (my second question) what I don't get is, isn't this exactly why preview was created? What does Book View do that Preview (in Sigil) doesn't?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:52 AM   #65
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Thanks for creating this ad-hoc build. I just did a quick test with the patched version, which I installed on top of the existing installation, and it seems that the problem still exists.

I entered the following text in Code View:

Code:
<p>&ldquo;bla bla&rdquo;</p>
I then switched to Book View and entered random characters between "bla bla." When I switched back to Code View, the entities were gone:

Code:
<p>“bla xyz bla”</p>
Did you forget to add &ldquo; and &rdquo; to the list of entities to preserve in Sigil's preferences?

I'm using the same build on Windows and I'm not experiencing the same behavior as you.
Advert
Old 07-22-2014, 10:15 AM   #66
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
In any event, (my second question) what I don't get is, isn't this exactly why preview was created? What does Book View do that Preview (in Sigil) doesn't?
You mean besides f**k stuff up when people forget and make a seemingly innocent edit while in it?... Not much. I do believe Book View will synchronize your location between it and Code View (where Preview will not). As to why it (Preview) was created, I'm guessing it was so people like me could turn off the dangerous temptation of Book View and still see how things were rendering. Which is what I tend to do. But the allure of that synchronization feature can be still be strong at times.

My only real issue with book-edit is that if I want to avail myself of any of its automated features--such as Beautify--I do so at the cost of losing all entities and DOCTYPE declarations in my files. In Sigil, I can "Pretty Print" and retain Doctypes and entities. Why retaining those things is important to me is fairly irrelevant--they just are.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:20 AM   #67
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Did you forget to add &ldquo; and &rdquo; to the list of entities to preserve in Sigil's preferences?
I assumed that this was only necessary for non-standard entities.
After adding them to the list everything worked as advertised.

I'm sorry for causing you extra work.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:22 AM   #68
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi,

FWIW, Calibre will change and add metadata to the .opf when you open the ebook in editor (or maybe its upon import to the library??) for example, calibre-file-as, and the like. This is minor and easy to fix but it does change things, that I would rather be left unchanged.

Edit: I take that back ... I just tried editing the book using calibre's command line "edit-ebook" without loading it into the library, and calibre did not add or change anything, that I could see. So perhaps when I added it to the calibre library at some point the metadata got touched. Using the command-line tool seems to be a good way to run ebook-edit.

I had not played with the Calibre editor much in a while and it has really improved. Kovid really did a nice job with it.

KevinH

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Only conversion adds Calibre styles. Editor works on what you feed it (EPUB/AZW3).

Last edited by KevinH; 07-22-2014 at 10:39 AM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:45 AM   #69
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Preferences ==> Integration with calibre
Uncheck "Update metatdata embedded in the book when opening"

This has the same effect as the Embed Metadata tool.

Last edited by eschwartz; 07-22-2014 at 10:48 AM.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:49 AM   #70
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Hi,

FWIW, Calibre will change and add metadata to the .opf when you open the ebook in editor (or maybe its upon import to the library??) for example, calibre-file-as, and the like. This is minor and easy to fix but it does change things, that I would rather be left unchanged.

That said, I had not played with the Calibre editor much in a while and it has really improved. Kovid really did a nice job with it.

KevinH
You can decide whether or not calibre's editor updates the book's internal metadata with calibre's metadata before opening a file. I don't recall what the default behavior is. If all you want to do is manually edit a few things, calibre's book-edit will actually do a better job of not "messing with anything" than sigil will. It doesn't force the archive into meeting a particular structural requirement and will happily let you open/edit/save malformed markup.

I think Kovid's done an amazing job in a short amount of time. Doesn't change the fact that I still turn to Sigil first. Maybe that'll change someday. I'm certainly open to book-edit winning me over.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-22-2014 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:54 AM   #71
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
I assumed that this was only necessary for non-standard entities.
After adding them to the list everything worked as advertised.

I'm sorry for causing you extra work.
Qt's source has a file with just the known named entities and their codes in it called HTMLEntityNames.in (you can find it in the source tree of Qt). That file has over 2231 different named entities in it. Then when you add in all of the possible numeric entities both as normal (base 10) and hex (base 16) codepoints to that you end up with a huge list.

So instead of trying to deal with all of those possibilities (and there are too many of them for the approach used here to work anyway), I decided to go with the concept of "working sets" which are the ones a developer/ebook editor tends to use. The Preferences settings allows you to easily add or change your working sets of named/numbered entities.

I did just set the default to have & nbsp ; , but if there is a short list of the most common named entities, I could easily change the code to default to that short list upon start-up.

I would just need a list of the most common ones real book-editors tend to want to use. So if you have or could make such a short list, I would love to have it.

Thanks,

KevinH
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:56 AM   #72
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

the default option in ebook-edit is: that setting is checked.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:02 AM   #73
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Hi,

Edit: I take that back ... I just tried editing the book using calibre's command line "edit-ebook" without loading it into the library, and calibre did not add or change anything, that I could see. So perhaps when I added it to the calibre library at some point the metadata got touched. Using the command-line tool seems to be a good way to run ebook-edit.

I had not played with the Calibre editor much in a while and it has really improved. Kovid really did a nice job with it.

KevinH
You are correct in that observation
Calibre does update the metadata (if it exists), just as it would if you sent the book to a device from Calibre.
Supposedly, that is all it does
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:16 AM   #74
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You are correct in that observation
Calibre does update the metadata (if it exists), just as it would if you sent the book to a device from Calibre.
Supposedly, that is all it does
Not "supposedly".

And only if you leave the setting checked.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:20 AM   #75
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Qt's source has a file with [...] 2231 different named entities in it. [...] So instead of trying to deal with all of those possibilities [...], I decided to go with the concept of "working sets" [...]
Makes perfect sense.

Quote:
I would just need a list of the most common ones real book-editors tend to want to use. So if you have or could make such a short list, I would love to have it.
Unfortunately, I'm not a "real book-editor." IMHO, high quality MR uploaders (e.g. Jellby, pynch or GrannyGrump) are more qualified to provide feedback.
I'm going to use the new Preserve Entities feature only for single and double curly quotes, en/em dashes and ellipses.

Tags
crashes, mavericks, osx 10.9.4, sigil 7.4