Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-30-2013, 04:15 AM   #1
thesandman
thesandman began at the beginning.

Device: None.
Automatically receive RSS feeds?

Hi all.

I recently bought a Paperwhite and have been researching ways to receive RSS feeds remotely. As I understand so far, the only way to receive them is to send or save pages via a browser. Is there any app or program I can run on the Kindle, jailbroken or not, to just receive the feeds for my viewing? I always travel with my mobile, a Samsung Galaxy, so any Android apps may be useful also.

All help and guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
thesandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:16 AM   #2
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
(not free) http://www.mydogear.com/ http://ikindle.mobi/
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2013, 04:28 AM   #3
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Touch (5.3.7)
Not RSS, but perhaps helpful?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=183113

Instapaper download script - surf to the pages you want to read later, hit the read-it-later button, connect kindle and run script to download articles to read on Kindle. Just a thought.

I haven't used it with the KUAL interface, that would be up to you!

Last edited by brianinmaine; 08-01-2013 at 04:30 AM.
brianinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:05 AM   #4
varnie
Connoisseur
varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Touch
klip.me - not sure, but might not work (because it depends on Google Reader, which is supposed to be closed soon (if not yet)).

kindlefeeder.com - delivers 12 RSS feeds for free (I tested and it worked well)
varnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:22 AM   #5
PaulFreund
PaulFreund understands the importance of being earnest.PaulFreund understands the importance of being earnest.PaulFreund understands the importance of being earnest.PaulFreund understands the importance of being earnest.PaulFreund understands the importance of being earnest.PaulFreund understands the importance of being earnest.PaulFreund understands the importance of being earnest.PaulFreund understands the importance of being earnest.PaulFreund understands the importance of being earnest.PaulFreund understands the importance of being earnest.PaulFreund understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kindle Touch
I think an RSS reader could be easily written with a bit of effort on the base of WebLaunch. Instead of loading a web url it could load a local application that shows RSS feeds from files.

It is easy to make system calls from weblaunch so triggering a script to download the feeds should be no problem. It would also be possible to write a service which frequently updates the feed data in background.

I'd like to write it myself but I don't have enough time. If somebody wants to give it a shot I'd be glad to help.
PaulFreund is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2013, 12:04 PM   #6
juco
Enthusiast
juco is on a distinguished road

Device: Palm m105, Kindle KB
Why not use calibre to fetch your favourite RSS feeds, convert them to vitual magazines and send them to your Kindle via mail? I do so every day and when I'm abroad on a journey, I ask a friend at home to start calibre on his/her PC once a day, the rest being done automatically... It can't get any better or more comfortable!
juco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:00 PM   #7
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

(yahoo pipes+)ifttt+readability works also (has a limit of 20 articles for each auto-sent document)
Old 08-01-2013, 06:36 PM   #8
trumad
trumad began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3g
I personally use Calibre's fetch feeds feature to do this. I have them on an automatic schedule. It fetches about 14 blogs for me, compiles it into one "newspaper" style document and emails it to my kindle every day. The only thing about this solution is, I need to have calibre constantly running on a windows server in my mother in law's house!
trumad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:27 PM   #9
cdhigh
Enthusiast
cdhigh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.cdhigh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.cdhigh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.cdhigh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.cdhigh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.cdhigh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.cdhigh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.cdhigh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.cdhigh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.cdhigh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.cdhigh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: KINDLE 3
https://github.com/cdhigh/KindleEar

KindleEar is a solution accepted, but it's wrote using Chinese, and I don't have time to implement a feature I18N or translate it.
perhaps you can deploy and use it by google translate?
cdhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:17 PM   #10
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdhigh View Post
KindleEar is a solution ..
Thanks for the tip, worked like a charm, huge thanks...

Click image for larger version

Name:	KindleEar Settings Page.png
Views:	265
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	109735

Last edited by thomass; 08-21-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:55 PM   #11
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
https://github.com/cdhigh/KindleEar

KindleEar is a solution accepted, but it's wrote using Chinese, and I don't have time to implement a feature I18N or translate it.
You have some nice looking code there.

Rather than implementing a I18N feature, would you consider taking a "pull request" if someone here just translated it?
A bit more troublesome to maintain, but probably could be done more quickly by someone here.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:57 PM   #12
cdhigh
Enthusiast
cdhigh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.cdhigh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.cdhigh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.cdhigh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.cdhigh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.cdhigh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.cdhigh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.cdhigh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.cdhigh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.cdhigh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.cdhigh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

I just added I18n feature to KindleEar 1.6 now, but FAQ is wrote in Chinese and I don't want to translate.
Please download version 1.6 in github to deploy.
https://github.com/cdhigh/kindleear
Old 08-19-2013, 03:11 PM   #13
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
but FAQ is wrote in Chinese and I don't want to translate.
thanks again.

here is the English version of FAQ (via Google Translator)
Old 08-19-2013, 09:34 PM   #14
cdhigh
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
thanks again.

here is the English version of FAQ (via Google Translator)
good, I will merge it into 1.6.4.