Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 08-13-2011, 07:45 AM   #1
Sinusoid
Sinusoid began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
Suggestions for Edge used only for reading?

Hi all and thanks for the great resources at this website,

I ordered one of the last ebay Edges posted recently and it should be here the 16th. My purpose for the device is to free myself from the pc/laptop when reading journals which are delivered as pdfs now and <$200 made this reasonable test case. So I don't care about the camera, mp3s, apps, or even online bookstores at this point.

With that in mind, do you have any suggestions or is it as good as it can get right out of the box?

Specifically, should I upgrade the OS?

Is the ezPDF program better than the one that comes with the product?

I'm hoping to be able to dive in and begin reading when it gets here but many of the other pdf e-readers I had been following on the forums (Onyx Boox, etc.) seem to need upgrades before they are usable. Thanks for any suggestions.
Sinusoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:22 AM   #2
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinusoid View Post
Hi all and thanks for the great resources at this website,

I ordered one of the last ebay Edges posted recently and it should be here the 16th. My purpose for the device is to free myself from the pc/laptop when reading journals which are delivered as pdfs now and <$200 made this reasonable test case. So I don't care about the camera, mp3s, apps, or even online bookstores at this point.

With that in mind, do you have any suggestions or is it as good as it can get right out of the box?

Specifically, should I upgrade the OS?

Is the ezPDF program better than the one that comes with the product?

I'm hoping to be able to dive in and begin reading when it gets here but many of the other pdf e-readers I had been following on the forums (Onyx Boox, etc.) seem to need upgrades before they are usable. Thanks for any suggestions.
I do a lot of reading and research so the Edge was perfect for my needs. You'll indeed wish to upgrade, depending on what yours comes with. Mine came with Badger and was a very old OS for the Edge. You'll at least want to get to Dingo, but more then like 2.2 beta is where you'll want to be as Ezpdf with all the annotate features won't work under anything less them 2.1.

Unfortunately 2.2 is a beta so your milage will vary if you have the browser/hibernate issues mentioned in other threads.

To answer your question about Ezpdf. The eink side can annotate epub and PDF's files. However, PDF files, at least the ones I've tried, look better on the tablet side.

The Major advantage of the eink side is battery, easy on the eyes.. the abilities to take a picture from your document and open it in color on the tablet side. Annotate, as already mentioned, surf on the tablet side and attach that page to the document your reading. Attach notes to your document etc..

Tablet side, you can read websites and if its valuable information you wish to keep you can save it as an epub and send it to the tablet side.

If you plan to annotate PDF's and decide to use the tablet side for that, get the latest Ezpdf as the newest version now allows you to change the color of your pen, before it was only black so I'm super happy to annotate in red.

On the eink side, you can also change pen color, once you save the document as a PDF you can email it to yourself and open it up to see your nicely colored notations.

The Edge sold me on the value of 2 screens. Microsoft, asleep at the wheel for not pushing Courier out the door in my opinion hehe..

Good luck with your Edge..
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2011, 04:29 PM   #3
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Hi Sinusoid! Welcome to MobileRead!

I agree with what Synergi says. But you might want to go through the registration procedure and do the online updates to Dingo 1.13, then go ahead and use your eDGe for a bit before you decide whether to upgrade to the beta.

You'll want to learn what all the icons do and how to navigate the e-ink menus and how the Library is different from the Reader and how the LCD and e-ink interact, all of which you can do in Dingo. Then, if you want more, or faster, you can take a chance on upgrading to the Ermine beta. But if you just want to get reading, once you finish with the Update app you are set to go!

Enjoy!!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote