Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-31-2012, 03:52 PM   #1
clittle
Zealot
clittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle 3
Can I have multiple catalogs?

Hi,

My library has so many books that Calibre has become quite sluggish.

I'd like to know if it's possible to create a several other catalogs and move a bunch of books to them. For example, I could create a "Science Fiction" catalog and off load a bunch of books.

Is that doable?

Thanks
clittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:13 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by clittle View Post
Hi,

My library has so many books that Calibre has become quite sluggish.

I'd like to know if it's possible to create a several other catalogs and move a bunch of books to them. For example, I could create a "Science Fiction" catalog and off load a bunch of books.

Is that doable?

Thanks
You can have multiple Libraries
Right click the Library icon: Create/Switch: Create Empty Library (I recommend that you use the tick box option in most cases)

Once that process has been done, switch back to your main Library (right click the same icon)
Select the books to move: right click on those: Copy to Library <name>
the choice is yours to copy or copy and Delete (basically a Move)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2012, 06:50 PM   #3
clittle
Zealot
clittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Thanks theducks!

I'm in the process of moving a bunch of sci fi to the new library.

I should have asked before, but do I have to do anything to the old library to recover space and speed? Like compacting or something?

Thanks again
Old 04-01-2012, 03:25 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by clittle View Post
Thanks theducks!

I'm in the process of moving a bunch of sci fi to the new library.

I should have asked before, but do I have to do anything to the old library to recover space and speed? Like compacting or something?

Thanks again
I don't have a knowledgeable answer, but I think that the DB self compacts.
You could always run Library Maintenance. I believe that dumps and rebuilds the DB.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:02 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Depending on what you mean by "sluggish" and when the slowdown occurs, you might want to change "Limit the searched metadata" in searching preferences, putting the fields you care about in the "Columns" box. By default, calibre searches all fields, including comments. If you have a lot of books with comments, that can be slow.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2012, 08:56 AM   #6
clittle
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Depending on what you mean by "sluggish" and when the slowdown occurs, you might want to change "Limit the searched metadata" in searching preferences, putting the fields you care about in the "Columns" box. By default, calibre searches all fields, including comments. If you have a lot of books with comments, that can be slow.
Great info.

Thanks!
Old 04-01-2012, 12:48 PM   #7
BookJunkieLI
Evangelist
BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle 4, Nook Gl4, Nook STR, REB 1100, Ebookwise 1500,
That is great info. I didn't even know I could modify the search behaviour, such as Search As You Type - something that has always driven me bonkers when I need to search more than one identifier.
BookJunkieLI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
multiple catalogs