Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-11-2010, 05:25 PM   #61
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
So I got my replacement reader today...and it's fine! The sun was fading when I tried it out so tomorrow I'm going to double check before I send my old one in. It seems to work just fine and no fadng
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:21 PM   #62
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by emonti8384 View Post
So I got my replacement reader today...and it's fine! The sun was fading when I tried it out so tomorrow I'm going to double check before I send my old one in. It seems to work just fine and no fadng
Wonderful!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2010, 06:49 PM   #63
mapabl
Enthusiast
mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: iPad Air, iPad Mini. Nook Glo, Kindle Paperwhite,
I also got a replacement

Thanks to the nice people on this forum, I took their advice and returned my disappearing screen PRS-600 to Best Buy and got a new one. The new screen does NOT wash out in the bright sun like my prior one did. When turning pages, the screen still buzzes as my last one did but it's only noticeable if the house is completely quiet after everyone but me has gone to bed. For the screen to wash out, the sun must directly shine on it and it usually appeared mid-day. It doesn't have to do with the screen being warm to the touch, it washed out as soon as I walked outside in direct sunlight and turned a page. I'm so happy I exchanged my little red companion...she's a beauty. Mary from WI
mapabl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:53 PM   #64
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapabl View Post
Thanks to the nice people on this forum, I took their advice and returned my disappearing screen PRS-600 to Best Buy and got a new one. The new screen does NOT wash out in the bright sun like my prior one did. When turning pages, the screen still buzzes as my last one did but it's only noticeable if the house is completely quiet after everyone but me has gone to bed. For the screen to wash out, the sun must directly shine on it and it usually appeared mid-day. It doesn't have to do with the screen being warm to the touch, it washed out as soon as I walked outside in direct sunlight and turned a page. I'm so happy I exchanged my little red companion...she's a beauty. Mary from WI

Wonderful for you too!
Old 03-13-2010, 06:24 AM   #65
sigmax
Connoisseur
sigmax has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: SONY PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by lachbus View Post
Sure, I understand. I found it somewhat annoying that the Sony Support person claimed that this is news, but that's the fault of whoever doesn't enter this into their database of known issues.
They told me the same thing .... and is a well known issue that there is a defective eink screen that has probably no uv filtering included or something like that.

My Sony prs300 is rendered totally unusable at the instant it touches not only the sun, but ANY daylight...

I uploaded photos and the whole story a couple of months back ... I even asked for the topic to be made sticky in order to warn possible future buyers of sony readers, but it seems that my sticky note was unheard.
sigmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2010, 05:13 PM   #66
KDawg
Junior Senior
KDawg has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: nookColor, nook, PRS-900, PRS-505, PRS-500, Kindle PW, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Sorry! Keep us posted. Is this a relatively new 900? i.e. can you exchange it?
My 900 was past 30 days by the time I noticed it so I couldn't return it to Best Buy.

I called Sony this week. After several rounds of me explaining the screen fades out almost completely in the sun and the phone jockey telling me that it's normal for touch-screen readers to be a little hard to read in the sun she asked me if there was anything else she could do. I said she could refund my money. At this point she agreed to an exchange. I'll let you guys know how the replacement works out when I get it.
KDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 05:26 PM   #67
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDawg View Post
My 900 was past 30 days by the time I noticed it so I couldn't return it to Best Buy.

I called Sony this week. After several rounds of me explaining the screen fades out almost completely in the sun and the phone jockey telling me that it's normal for touch-screen readers to be a little hard to read in the sun she asked me if there was anything else she could do. I said she could refund my money. At this point she agreed to an exchange. I'll let you guys know how the replacement works out when I get it.

Wonderful!
Old 03-13-2010, 08:59 PM   #68
Xochipilli2012
Zealot
Xochipilli2012 began at the beginning.

Device: Red PRS-600, Slate Blue Astak EZReader Pocket Pro
I encourage anyone whose Sony Reader is still under warranty to pursue a replacement. I was a bit reluctant to go through the imagined bull-hockey, but it worked out better than I expected. Sony Customer Support was actually, supportive. And as I was within 90 days of purchasing my PRS-600, I qualified for the "advanced exchange program."

And, maybe I "lucked out" in that the replacement they sent doesn't have the problems my original one did--in fact, the screen looks better in terms of clarity and contrast, even under artificial light, as compared to the first one.

I was going to "make do" by shading the reader during page turns when reading with sunlight falling on the reader. It wasn't that big of a deal. But when I was hearing from other PRS-600 owners who were experiencing no fading problems in direct sunlight, I became motivated to pursue the matter--because if the screen was 'defective' now, maybe it would fail completely at some point later on...when the warranty didn't offer as much protection.

I was a little concerned that the replacement would have the same problem, and I've read a few stories where this had occurred. But I thought it was worth the risk, especially as Sony was paying the postage for shipping the replacement to me and my old unit back.

Hopefully other people's replacement stories will turn out as well as mine has so far.

I'm happy I took the risk.

Cheers!
Xochipilli2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 03:32 AM   #69
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xochipilli2012 View Post
I encourage anyone whose Sony Reader is still under warranty to pursue a replacement. I was a bit reluctant to go through the imagined bull-hockey, but it worked out better than I expected. Sony Customer Support was actually, supportive. And as I was within 90 days of purchasing my PRS-600, I qualified for the "advanced exchange program."

And, maybe I "lucked out" in that the replacement they sent doesn't have the problems my original one did--in fact, the screen looks better in terms of clarity and contrast, even under artificial light, as compared to the first one.

I was going to "make do" by shading the reader during page turns when reading with sunlight falling on the reader. It wasn't that big of a deal. But when I was hearing from other PRS-600 owners who were experiencing no fading problems in direct sunlight, I became motivated to pursue the matter--because if the screen was 'defective' now, maybe it would fail completely at some point later on...when the warranty didn't offer as much protection.

I was a little concerned that the replacement would have the same problem, and I've read a few stories where this had occurred. But I thought it was worth the risk, especially as Sony was paying the postage for shipping the replacement to me and my old unit back.

Hopefully other people's replacement stories will turn out as well as mine has so far.

I'm happy I took the risk.

Cheers!

I agree, in fact your story is identical to mine. There goes my post, lol! New reader works great, I agree with the comment about the better clarity and contrast. I'll be sending my original reader back to Sony on Monday. Yay!
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 02:43 PM   #70
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
Had to push a bit, but....

So I called Sony today and told them that I had the problem with the screen fading. First thing the guy tried was to tell me some cock-and-bull story about it only being a problem with the 700 because of the backlighting and that it was normal operation (I really didn't pay a lot of attention to the story since it was not relevant, so didn't catch all the details). I explained that I had a new 600, and had heard of people receiving replacements that did NOT have the problem, so I considered it defective. Then he tried to get me to send it back for them to "confirm that it was not operating normally, and if we find that it is will send it back and charge you shipping." Yeah, right. Like y'all are going to take it out into some bright sunshine--you'll turn it on in some workroom and say "yup, looks fine," send it back and charge me. I expained that I had heard of several other people receiving replacement units before being expected to send their old one back, and that this was what I wanted. He capitulated immediately, which makes me think he was purely stalling to see what he could get away with before. Reminded me of my 3 year old.

So, I should be getting a new (perhaps refurbished, but as long as it works and is under warranty I don't care) unit soon. Assuming it does NOT fade, I plan on taking side-by-by side pictures to send back with my old unit.
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:50 AM   #71
Xochipilli2012
Zealot
Xochipilli2012 began at the beginning.

Device: Red PRS-600, Slate Blue Astak EZReader Pocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by emonti8384 View Post
I agree, in fact your story is identical to mine. There goes my post, lol! New reader works great, I agree with the comment about the better clarity and contrast. I'll be sending my original reader back to Sony on Monday. Yay!
Congrats! I'm glad it worked out well for you!
Xochipilli2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:54 PM   #72
KDawg
Junior Senior
KDawg has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: nookColor, nook, PRS-900, PRS-505, PRS-500, Kindle PW, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDawg View Post

Good news, my replacement PRS-900 arrived today (Next Day Air from last Friday). It is much better in the sun than the original. It still fades slightly, but I have to look for it and confirm it in a shady place, whereas the original faded to the point that it was unreadable.

A word to anyone who needs to pursue this, ask for an exchange yourself if it sounds like you've reached a dead end. My operator was about to hang up on me and asked if there was anything else she could do. I simply stated if she couldn't exchange readers (which we hadn't discussed previously, we just argued about what was "normal") then I wanted a refund. At this she perked up and said she could certainly offer an exchange.

Good luck and thanks for all the stories.
KDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:04 PM   #73
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem is eink screens made by LG are crap. These are the ones that fade.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:12 PM   #74
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem is eink screens made by LG are crap. These are the ones that fade.
Who else manufactures them?
Old 03-16-2010, 10:52 AM   #75
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
AFAIK Only PVI and LG-Philips make commercially available E-Ink screens. Supposedly iRex also has a factory (in Philippines?) but those screens are used only in iRex readers.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote