Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-08-2014, 09:56 PM   #31
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
Good, find Rick Murcer for me.
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:04 PM   #32
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Rick Murcer's stuff is self-published, it seems. I see he has one of the novels on Smashwords, which I thought have all their stuff sold on Kobo too, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I don't really know how self-publishing works in terms of getting it sold by large stores, though. My experiences are with books by traditional publishers. (His books sound interesting, by the way!)
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2014, 10:18 PM   #33
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
The advantage to changing Reader for PC to Aus or the UK or NZ is that it keeps Reader for PC 'alive' so to speak.
Not NZ, there is no Sony Reader store in New Zealand.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:46 PM   #34
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Not NZ, there is no Sony Reader store in New Zealand.
There is a direct Sony Store in Aus now, but under the Tab 'More Content' on the Reader home page it also shows the NZ info.

The second pic is the Sony Aus book store.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aus Sony Store.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	118861   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aus Sony Store 2.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	118862  

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 02-08-2014 at 10:49 PM. Reason: correct my info
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:56 PM   #35
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mivo View Post
Rick Murcer's stuff is self-published, it seems. I see he has one of the novels on Smashwords, which I thought have all their stuff sold on Kobo too, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I don't really know how self-publishing works in terms of getting it sold by large stores, though. My experiences are with books by traditional publishers. (His books sound interesting, by the way!)
There are so many really good indie authors out there, I hope Kobo figures that out soon. That give Kindle a huge edge.
Advert
Old 02-09-2014, 04:29 AM   #36
Sunlite
Addict
Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KObo Clara, Kobo Aura, PRS-T1, PB602, CyBook Gen3
Kobo has its own self publishing platform "writing life". Authors at Smashword can also opt in to allow their books to be sold at Kobo.

So its more about the indie authors to figure out that it might be good to sell books not only at Amazon.
Sunlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:34 AM   #37
benham
Guru

Do they have a list of self published authors, or a separate category for that?
Old 02-09-2014, 12:07 PM   #38
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I guess I didn't read the Whole letter...just skimmed Didn't give the money on my account any thought til I came here I already taken care of my ebooks DRM removed & ebooks stored to go on Kindle Anyway

at myself!
I went through losing access to a book because the vendor went belly up way back with peanut press on the palm pilot. Since then, I've made sure that I could keep back up copies of my purchases in a format that allows me to shift platforms (i.e. sans DRM). I bought around 200 books from the Sony ebook store over the years, but nothing for several years now. Amazon has a lot more content. I just finished validating that I have all my Sony ebooks in the proper format.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:02 PM   #39
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I went through losing access to a book because the vendor went belly up way back with peanut press on the palm pilot. Since then, I've made sure that I could keep back up copies of my purchases in a format that allows me to shift platforms (i.e. sans DRM). I bought around 200 books from the Sony ebook store over the years, but nothing for several years now. Amazon has a lot more content. I just finished validating that I have all my Sony ebooks in the proper format.
Mine are also backed up on a External Hard Drive...Flash Drives also work!

I also back them up under 3 different formats! epub... in case I buy a future ereader that uses that format again. Mobi for the K3 And AWZ for my Fire HD!

Last edited by Barbara1955; 02-09-2014 at 01:05 PM.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:43 PM   #40
sharphamster
Anathema Device
sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T3/350, Kobo AuraH20/Mini, Axim X50v
Quote:
Mine are also backed up on a External Hard Drive...Flash Drives also work!

I also back them up under 3 different formats! epub... in case I buy a future ereader that uses that format again. Mobi for the K3 And AWZ for my Fire HD!
Yep me too - also loaded to copy.com, because I lost a bunch of my hardcopy backups when we got hurricaned 10 years ago. I'm ridiculous about multiple backups after that.
sharphamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:23 AM   #41
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Guess I am going to be SOL when the Sony store closes! Kobo wont let me sign into my account! & wont allow me to rejoin since it says I have account already... Would you believe that? Crazy!!

Your email address is linked to an existing Kobo account. Would you like to sign in with Kobo?

Last edited by Barbara1955; 02-10-2014 at 12:27 AM.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:51 AM   #42
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Guess I am going to be SOL when the Sony store closes! Kobo wont let me sign into my account! & wont allow me to rejoin since it says I have account already... Would you believe that? Crazy!!

Your email address is linked to an existing Kobo account. Would you like to sign in with Kobo?
Katie did you try just entering your email account details and then clicking on the 'Forgot password' option?

What is it that Kobo doesn't recognise about your account?
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:53 AM   #43
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Must have been the PW god I knew I was Non-Techy But I must have forgot ALL I knew in the 6 months without a computer! That wasn't much to begin with ...
Old 02-10-2014, 10:31 AM   #44
benham
Guru

Call them up!

Copy.com looks like a good idea.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:44 AM   #45
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Sony Gift Card LOL

One reason I thinking of not bothering is No Gift Cards for Kobo... this will suck!
Drive to your local Best Buy. They have Kobo gift cards just like they do Amazon. I believe I've seen the Kobo gift cards at Walmart too but Best Buy US stores definitely carry the Kobo gift cards.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote