Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 01-28-2013, 02:03 PM   #16
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Perhaps Macbeth would have done better if he said "Damned right that's a dagger I see before me!"
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:29 PM   #17
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
And yet curiously enough, Mr and Mrs Macbeth are one of the very few truly happy marriages that we find in Shakespeare - a curious anomaly!

But of course, Macbeth wouldn't be the leading character in a tragedy unless he had a flaw in the character (the flaw being ambition in his case, although perhaps Lady Macbeth is the true leader in the plot?).
Yes, they pointed that out in the show I saw as well. Usually people are falling in love, or out of it or the relationship is dysfunctional in some other way. Of course it can be argued that Lady Macbeth wears the pants in the relationship as she manages to push him into doing it when he wavers. It certainly proves that ambition isn't gender based.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2013, 10:22 PM   #18
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
In the early 17th century, when the play was written, belief in witchcraft was almost universal. You really can't judge the play by the standards of today's society.

The question, though, as to whether the witches made Macbeth a murderer, or whether they simply foretold something that he was going to do anyway is one that's been asked many times. There is no clearcut answer - one can find arguments to support both sides.
But even if you accept that, for the purposes of the story, witchcraft was real, their relevance to what unfolds always seemed (to me) to be minimal. That probably reveals my own cynicism; that people don't need excuses to behave like complete ....

Given the context of the plays, I'm inclined to think that the witches weren't actually intended to offer any deeper meaning to the story, I think they were added to please the audience - just as modern authors now add vampires, werewolves and zombies.

I get the impression that a modern editor would have told Shakespeare to "kill his darlings" (as that awful modern advice goes), and remove the hags. ... And yet what a loss that would have been. All these questions that we pose now, that need not have been outstanding had he just told the central plot without them.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:29 PM   #19
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I get the impression that a modern editor would have told Shakespeare to "kill his darlings" (as that awful modern advice goes), and remove the hags. ... And yet what a loss that would have been. All these questions that we pose now, that need not have been outstanding had he just told the central plot without them.
But that is the point, is it not? You can reduce most stories to something like "Dude kills other dude and goes to jail. The end."

Its all the other stuff that makes the story have flesh and life! Its the details that are in the world AROUND the story that make it seem immersive.

At least that is what I think.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:46 PM   #20
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
But that is the point, is it not? You can reduce most stories to something like "Dude kills other dude and goes to jail. The end."

Its all the other stuff that makes the story have flesh and life! Its the details that are in the world AROUND the story that make it seem immersive.

Indeed. Another one is: boy meets girl, boy and girl fall in love, boy and girl commit suicide. Sounds kinda dull, but Shakespeare fleshed it out into Romeo and Juliet.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2013, 12:22 AM   #21
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Me thinks ye think too much.

(How does it feel?)
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:33 AM   #22
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post

Every story you can think of has already been told, the success of your story is in the telling.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote