Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-23-2010, 09:18 PM   #1
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
ipod touch gen one book download questions

I bought a "first gen" ipod touch with "no wi-fi." Got it dirt cheap on ebay just to introduce myself to ipod touch. (I've had "classic" ipods since day one)

After I loaded up with music it popped into my mind that an iPod touch could serve as an ebook reader. I've been reading on my iMac and MBP desktop (various formats) and I thought it might be interesting to try the iPod.

But now I learn that I can't because it has no wi-fi??????

Geez... I have all these ebooks on my Mac, is there no way to download a book thru iTunes/USB????? If you have a reader app on the ipod you can't just drop a book (in correct format) into the itunes library?

These are public domain books with no locks....
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:40 PM   #2
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
I do not think there was an authentic iPod Touch 1G without wi-fi. Are you sure it is not a knockoff?

Apple did release an iPhone in China without wifi.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2010, 09:53 PM   #3
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No.. I assume is wifi is broken. I bought it for music only (it was real cheap). It was plain that it was without wifi but I didn't care.

But to my original question... there's no way to drop and drag a book onto iTunes and sync? I know you can get books as "notes" and do it that way but I would have though you drop a ebook onto it if you had a reader app.....
Old 07-23-2010, 10:00 PM   #4
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
No.. I assume is wifi is broken. I bought it for music only (it was real cheap). It was plain that it was without wifi but I didn't care.

But to my original question... there's no way to drop and drag a book onto iTunes and sync? I know you can get books as "notes" and do it that way but I would have though you drop a ebook onto it if you had a reader app.....
Well, the good news is there is a way to drag and drop now thru iTunes...the bad news is, it is only thru iOS4, and the Touch 1G isn't officially supported.

I think there is a jailbreak mod for it being worked on.

If you want to use another app-I believe Goodreader again supports USB transfers: http://appmodo.com/24834/goodreader-...nd-ipad-users/
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:44 PM   #5
1611mac
eWanderer

1.) yep.. my ipod updates to 3.1.3 and says it's "up to date" -

2.) Tried the Goodreader. Got it loaded to the iPod but when I click on my ipod in iTunes panel and look at "apps" the Goodreader "usb transfer window" does not appear. Goodreader shows in the app panel but that's it.

3.) I can drop a pdf on "books" in iTunes on my iMac and the pdf is added to the iTunes "Books" library. But when I "sync" with the ipod the pdf does not transfer.
Advert
Old 07-23-2010, 11:06 PM   #6
1611mac
eWanderer

as info... the Stanza ipod/iphone app is supposed to do the same but on this iPod it too does not show usb transfer window when the app is selected.

I did get the sample book with the stanza download and it look great in the stanza ipod app! It's sad that there is just not an easy way to drop a book into itunes and have it sync!

The latest GoodReader "user review" says something about Apple removing the usb file transfer ability
Old 07-23-2010, 11:43 PM   #7
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer
arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, iPad, iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350
There's this free software http://www.macroplant.com/iphoneexplorer/ that supposedly lets you use the iPod as a drive. Why don't you try that to see if it works for you?
arcadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:44 AM   #8
1611mac
eWanderer

PERFECT! And simple. Installed the software on my iMax. Upon launce a "standard looking window" appeared with iPod folder system. Looked like I was still on my iMac. I found the stanza media folder and dropped in an epub book and viola..... it was on the iPod.

Thank you! I had only planned on this dirt cheap wifi-less ipod for music but now it's a reader too!

Thanks arcadata! and thanks mobileread forums!