Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 07-05-2012, 07:35 PM   #1
madgrace
madgrace began at the beginning.

Device: entourage edge
Question Allmine universal library fix on 10" EE??

I mentioned in the Allmine universal thread that I had a tricky time with my library after updating-- I couldn't access journal files, or add anything to the library. I could still open epubs I'd copied directly onto my SD card, but I couldn't open the library backup file I'd created using the backup tool native to the Edge, since it was an unrecognized device. There were some other stability issues as well.

So I downgraded to golden Dingo, updated to Ermine, and was able to successfully open up the library backup file in Ermine. I was also able to open journal files once more.

Went into Settings to move the files to the SD card again.

Upgraded again to Allmine-- this time trying the one from post 1 of the thread instead of Burgher's combination which I'd tried before. Still no library access to my journals. I can see the files, but the backup file comes from an unrecognized device. It tells me that the journal files need to be added to the library to be opened, but runs into a red exclamation point error whenever I try to add them.

ktwombly's instructions include something to do with the serial number to correct this, but I have no idea what app or where to insert those strings of text to tell allmine to recognize my library. Does that have to do with DevTools? or Z4Root? Sorry for my lack of technical sophistication.

I have a rosy red 10" EE.

Thanks again for all the hard work and advice!
madgrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:07 PM   #2
gotmilt
gotmilt began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
I'll second that! I just upgraded to Allmine on my 10" EE with the same results. My primary use of the Edge is is e-reader, so that makes a faulty library quite a problem.
gotmilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2012, 01:29 AM   #3
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
I use my EE primarily as an e-reader, too, and plain old Ermine is fine for that. Unless you really need direct access to the Google apps you could leave it at Ermine and have a working library.

(I always meant to upgrade to Allmine, but never did. Happy enough without it. )
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:13 AM   #4
gotmilt
gotmilt began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
@Filark: You make a good point. But I want the best of both worlds! I think what I may do is downgrade to Ermine, load in my library, export all my pdfs with annotations, upgrade to Allmine, and batch-add the pdfs, then start anew with subsequent files.
gotmilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:07 PM   #5
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
I have to agree with Filark on this. I see no reason to upgrade just to get the market or whatever they call it now because it can cause more problems that it, maybe, solves. Problems with library, apps being updated and then not working and so on. Most apps can be found on sites other than the market - I always look on http://www.freewarelovers.com/android for a start, then there is http://www.slideme.org/ and a few others.

Most people forget the EE and PE are running a very modified version of Android v2.2 and most new apps will no longer run on what we have. What we need is someone with the expertise and time to reverse engineer Ermine and find out what the specific parts that run the e-ink are and then see if they can be added to Android v2.3, or the tablet version, and give us a working unit, remembering the EE and PE aren't a phone and have very specific electronics as well as an old, now, processor.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2012, 08:58 PM   #6
helf
Zealot
helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Entourage Pocket eDGe, Entourage eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post

Most people forget the EE and PE are running a very modified version of Android v2.2 and most new apps will no longer run on what we have.

Well, I've actually had really good luck with app compatibility. 2.2 STILL has an enormous amount of market share.
helf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10" ee, allmine, library, troubleshooting