Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 06-06-2011, 02:25 AM   #1
Gremalkin
Gremalkin began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket eDGe
Considering Pocket Edge Purchase

I am new to tablets, Android and dedicated eBook devices, so please forgive my ignorance.

Can you use the Pocket Edge to watch hulu.com shows without Hulu Plus?

I know little about DRM, other than it is what locks the file to a specific device and apparently is also used with library books to set time limits. If I understand correctly, PE can use ePub files from the library. Am I correct to assume that free ePub/pdf files from places like manybooks and project gutenberg will work ok too?

I have a lot of books in MobiPocket, text, Plucker and Palm Reader that I would like to be able to convert over. It looks like Calibre will be able to convert these, correct?

I know it's outdated, but does anyone know if you can sync a Palm Centro calendar with the PE?

I know Entourage is gone, along with their apps store. I am a little nervous about the white screen many get when trying to update the OS. I read somewhere that it may be a hardware issue with a cable?? If you get the WSOD can you return it for another? I would be ordering from buy.com - not the cheapest online right now, but has a 45 day return policy.

At this time, we see using the PE for: eBooks, calendar, web browsing, mp3 subscriptions and playback, document reading/editing and hulu (if possible).

Thanks for any information you can provide!

Last edited by Gremalkin; 06-06-2011 at 03:32 AM. Reason: Found more answers online
Gremalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:27 AM   #2
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
Sorry, the PE can not use Hulu at this time, and I don't think it will be able to any time in the near future

Yes, epubs/pdf files from gutenberg and manybooks should work just fine!

Calibre should work fine for converting your ebooks, you can see a full list of supported formats here: link

I'm not sure about the calendar sync, it looks like it is possible from a quick search, though I can't promise anything(you might want to see this: link

At this time I don't think that the WOSD is caused by the update, but rather wear and tear on the hardware, and I don't know if anyone is still going to accept returns, you would have to read through their policy to see if they would accept devices that have lost support from their company...

I hope this helps, let us know if you have any more questions!
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2011, 08:43 PM   #3
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
The PE works fine with TV.com, if that has the shows you want.

It is not the easiest hing in the world to learn, but for your uses it can be rewarding. I really like mine for ereading (I use Calibre on my laptop, then transfer books to my PE) and looking up information about what I'm reading. There's a lot you can do on both sides of the PE and, as you'll find, a lot you can't do (apps that don't work, for instance).

You will know within 45 days whether you have the patience for this device, and whether you have the dreaded WSoD (which I believe is not common). People like Emusan got the hang of the PE within hours (it seems!) while I am still discovering handy features after 3 months with it!

Good luck! If you get one I hope you'll enjoy it!
Welcome to MobileRead!!

P.S. DRM is an issue unto itself. You might want to search this forum (all of MobileRead) for further information/discussions on that topic.

Last edited by Filark; 06-06-2011 at 08:45 PM.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:27 AM   #4
geneven1
Enthusiast
geneven1 began at the beginning.

Device: P. Edge, Kindle, N800-810-900
I think you should skip it unless you have a lust for two screens
geneven1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:56 AM   #5
Gremalkin

Thank you for your replies. We have decided to go ahead and purchase at least one locally from someone who bought and doesn't use. It is sold out at buy.com, and other vendors that still have it online are asking more than I am willing to pay.

We did look briefly into the new Nook color, which seems comparable in that it has Android and the eReader, albeit on one screen. I just can't bring myself to spend $250+ on our first eReader!

I like the community support of the PE, plus the 2 screens and being able to close it to protect the screens. If we do end up buying a different device in the future, this may end up going to my 9 year old, who always has 2-3 books she is carrying around. At this point, however, she will have to share with mom!

Just a couple of quick questions:

Am I correct the Registration wizard (Settings - eDGe Settings - Register) is to transfer to another user is for the Entourage Registration and not necessary for full functionality of the device?

Am I also correct that in order to use purchased books and/or library books, we will have to set our registration for Adobe to our accounts? I am assuming that is doable without a factory reset. . .

Will try to hold most of my How Do I questions until after I have it in my hands and play with it a bit. :-)

Thanks again!
Advert
Old 06-08-2011, 10:33 AM   #6
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

I agree that its ability to close and protect the screens was a huge bonus, and was a major selling point for me as well.

The registration wizard for an entourage account adds no functionality now that the company is down, so yes, it is not necessary for any functionality.

And you will need an adobe account to use any book that uses the Adobe DRM(quite a few now) you should have no problem setting up an account, though you may need to do a factory data reset(located in Settings->privacy->Factory Data Reset), though that will only remove user data, so it should be fine...

I hope you and your family enjoy it!
Old 06-08-2011, 11:02 AM   #7
Gremalkin

Doesn't the factory reset remove any OS updates that were done?

The seller has already updated the OS, so I would prefer not to wipe this out and risk having issues with the update.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:13 AM   #8
emusan
lol

I'm actually not sure about that, its not supposed to, but I think I remember one user awhile back that might have had that problem, though they might have done something wrong... You probably wont need to anyway, but if you did and it did wipe the updates, its not too hard to re-apply them...
Old 06-08-2011, 11:13 AM   #9
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremalkin View Post
Doesn't the factory reset remove any OS updates that were done? The seller has already updated the OS, so I would prefer not to wipe this out and risk having issues with the update.
Not according to the knowledge base;

"Resetting your device erases everything in your internal storage such as your library and any downloaded applications"
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:26 AM   #10
emusan
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnerp245 View Post
Not according to the knowledge base;

"Resetting your device erases everything in your internal storage such as your library and any downloaded applications"
That is for Dingo(the version before Ermine(I'm assuming the seller is selling it with Ermine, though maybe not...)), though Ermine may be the same in that it deletes any updates... good to know.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:20 AM   #11
Gremalkin

Made the purchase today. Only have 1.6, which is Dingo?

Guess we will be trying the Ermine update. :-(
Old 06-09-2011, 02:18 AM   #12
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Or you can try it with Dingo -- there's really nothing wrong with that OS.

I had mine on Dingo for a couple months before I worked up the nerve to upgrade. I'm glad I upgraded, but not a bit sorry that I waited until I was familiar with the device before I did it!

Congratulations, and welcome to Family eDGe! We're a pretty sharp bunch!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote