Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-13-2010, 09:16 AM   #16
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
The advantage of the NEO will be that they have implemented a book store for purchasing content that will be one of the choices to navigate to along with google /wikipedia etc.

However with the current firmware the Boox is able to download content over the wifi also. i haven't tried to purchased anything this way yet but i can download free content.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:38 AM   #17
luag
Zealot
luag began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox 60
Also, how much power is used during stand-by?

Will it be better to just turn it off if I don't plan to read for hours? Say like when I go to sleep?
luag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:40 AM   #18
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

you read my post earrlier abotu my use at CES right? The only times I turned it "off" were for the beginning /end of the flights. the rest of the time it was in sleep/standby. Off will save some of course but sleep is very minimal.

edit- i remembered i did turn it off saturday night.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:57 PM   #19
MikeOnyx
OnyxBoox Sales
MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox
Yes, Charlie is correct. There is a sensor that detects whether the stylus is in the slot or not. If it is in the slot, it turns the wacom screen off.

Last edited by MikeOnyx; 01-21-2010 at 10:28 PM.
MikeOnyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 03:58 PM   #20
MikeOnyx
OnyxBoox Sales
MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
whenever the Stylus is stored in the slot the wacom is off. you'll get far longer than 4 days just reading with it.

Yes, Charlie is correct. There is a sensor that detects whether the stylus is in the slot or not. If it is in the slot, it turns the wacom screen off.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:54 PM   #21
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Hi Mike

Just to let you know your website address is spelt incorrectly.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:28 PM   #22
tommik
Connoisseur
tommik began at the beginning.

Device: Poke Pro, Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOnyx View Post
I'm confused now, bacause I heard from one of the distributors that it isn't truth. He maintains that WACOM is based on the electromagnetic field and its screen switches on or off depending on a distance between the stylus and the screen. So it could work even if your stylus is in the slot and you use other stylus...
tommik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:05 PM   #23
MikeOnyx
OnyxBoox Sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommik View Post
I'm confused now, bacause I heard from one of the distributors that it isn't truth. He maintains that WACOM is based on the electromagnetic field and its screen switches on or off depending on a distance between the stylus and the screen. So it could work even if your stylus is in the slot and you use other stylus...
I apologize. I just checked with the development team. They've changed it a few updates ago and I was not aware. They touch screen will shut off if the stylus is in the slot. If it does not, the pin inside might have been moved out of place or broken.

Last edited by MikeOnyx; 01-13-2010 at 10:37 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:06 PM   #24
MikeOnyx
OnyxBoox Sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
Hi Mike

Just to let you know your website address is spelt incorrectly.
Thank you. That website is maintained by the team in China. They are aware. The one maintained in the US is www.onyxboox.com.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:06 PM   #25
luag
Zealot

Quote:
you read my post earrlier abotu my use at CES right? The only times I turned it "off" were for the beginning /end of the flights. the rest of the time it was in sleep/standby. Off will save some of course but sleep is very minimal.

edit- i remembered i did turn it off saturday night.
I did ^^;

but I do wonder if I can get a significantly longer battery time if I turn it off every night before sleep. Or whether cold-booting every morning will offset the gain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOnyx View Post
I apologize. I just checked with the development team. They've changed it a few updates ago and I was not aware. The screen still responds whether the stylus is in the slot or not.
Oh, so wacom is always on?

Last edited by luag; 01-13-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:38 PM   #26
MikeOnyx
OnyxBoox Sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by luag View Post
I did ^^;

but I do wonder if I can get a significantly longer battery time if I turn it off every night before sleep. Or whether cold-booting every morning will offset the gain.

Oh, so wacom is always on?
I have re-edited my post. I misunderstood the development team as we were speaking in Chinese and I was lost in translation . The stylus in the slot should shut down the touch screen.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:18 PM   #27
Dulin's Books
Wizard

the stylus in the slot DOES shut off the wacom. it even flashes as an indication when you take it in or out of the slot.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:05 AM   #28
tommik
Connoisseur
tommik began at the beginning.

Device: Poke Pro, Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
the stylus in the slot DOES shut off the wacom. it even flashes as an indication when you take it in or out of the slot.
I can't see any flash when I take the stylus in or out of the slot... Very interesting...
tommik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:01 PM   #29
luag
Zealot

Update 3: I charged my Boox on Monday, around midnight, so it should be fully charged by Tuesday morning. Today is Friday and my Boox only has 1 bar left. Admittedly, I haven't done much reading. I remove the SDcard often, experimenting with different formats, so I open and close many books many times too. That probably use more battery rather than just reading one book at a time. I probably have to recharge it tonight.

I also found something interesting: Boox can read ebooks from zipped files, but it treats it as a different format than what is contained inside. For example, I converted an ebook to epub with Calibre and it resulted in 1 epub file, 1 jpg, and 1 opf, I zipped all those, and when I opened it with Boox, it treats the ebook more like an html file. The menu is different from what you'd get if you open an unzipped epub.

I only get roughly 4-5 days with the way I use boox so far. I also never turn my Boox off, only stand-by. After my next recharge, I'll try to turn it off every night or use the auto turn off feature and see if I can get a longer usage time / charge.

So my next suggestion is if Boox can add an auto turn on/off based on time. Say, I want my boox to automatically shut down every midnight and turn on automatically every morning at 7 o clock. I wonder if that is possible

Edit: My boox just completely ran out of battery lol

Last edited by luag; 01-14-2010 at 11:15 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:40 AM   #30
MikeOnyx
OnyxBoox Sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by luag View Post
Update 3: I charged my Boox on Monday, around midnight, so it should be fully charged by Tuesday morning. Today is Friday and my Boox only has 1 bar left. Admittedly, I haven't done much reading. I remove the SDcard often, experimenting with different formats, so I open and close many books many times too. That probably use more battery rather than just reading one book at a time. I probably have to recharge it tonight.

I also found something interesting: Boox can read ebooks from zipped files, but it treats it as a different format than what is contained inside. For example, I converted an ebook to epub with Calibre and it resulted in 1 epub file, 1 jpg, and 1 opf, I zipped all those, and when I opened it with Boox, it treats the ebook more like an html file. The menu is different from what you'd get if you open an unzipped epub.

I only get roughly 4-5 days with the way I use boox so far. I also never turn my Boox off, only stand-by. After my next recharge, I'll try to turn it off every night or use the auto turn off feature and see if I can get a longer usage time / charge.

So my next suggestion is if Boox can add an auto turn on/off based on time. Say, I want my boox to automatically shut down every midnight and turn on automatically every morning at 7 o clock. I wonder if that is possible

Edit: My boox just completely ran out of battery lol
Under menu, you can have it turn itself off if idle after a certain amount of time.

Tags
boox, onyx