Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-29-2010, 09:28 PM   #1
Ivo
Ivo began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Line spacing

I haven't seen any comment related to the line spacing, so maybe I'm the only one who sees it (as a problem), or it is just this Kobo device.

The preloaded books, as well as a book my wife bought have line spacing which I would guess is at least 1.5. When I download the same free ebooks from Gutenberg, they have normal line spacing, which is convenient as I don't like to click to often for the next page.

Books created with Calibre or Atlantis have regular line spacing.
Ivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 11:02 PM   #2
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
It has been mentioned, but I can't remember how far back.

I have to agree with you, the wide line spacing doesn't work well with the short line lengths. It violates some of the rules of typography I've been trying to learn. It would be nice if we could change that ourselves.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2010, 11:14 PM   #3
Ivo
Ivo began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
There are ways around this problem. For the free ebooks, I've already mentioned what to do. For the ones you buy, there is a way as well, but it would be nice if Kobo had a setting where you specify the desired line spacing (number of choices could be limited, but single spacing should be an option).
Ivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:54 PM   #4
the hatter
Enthusiast
the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivo View Post
There are ways around this problem. For the free ebooks, I've already mentioned what to do. For the ones you buy, there is a way as well, but it would be nice if Kobo had a setting where you specify the desired line spacing (number of choices could be limited, but single spacing should be an option).
Yeah, this is one of my biggest issues with the kobo, because having double spacing means you have to flip pages twice as often. I tried using calibre to edit the spacing in a book I bought from kobobooks, but couldn't manage to find a setting that made it readable - I always ended up with lines overlapping, regardless of the settings I played around with. Kobo should really build an option into their Desktop software, or maybe even the device itself, to change the default spacing.
the hatter is offline   Reply With Quote