Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-22-2013, 07:44 AM   #1
dhanjel
dhanjel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Any rumors of new Kindles'?

Lost my lovely Paperwhite on a train recently and I need to replace it.
I'm thinking of a new Paperwhite, but are the any rumors about any new versions? The current version was released almost a year ago now.

I saw that Nook had increased the resolution even further than the Kindle now. But I want to be able to read my Amazon-purchased books.
dhanjel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:14 AM   #2
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanjel View Post
I feel for you I did that with my first DX (and inside an Oberon cover too. ^&&&(& expensive train ride that was...)
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2013, 08:40 AM   #3
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
I'm thinking of a new Paperwhite, but are the any rumors about any new versions? The current version was released almost a year ago now.

I saw that Nook had increased the resolution even further than the Kindle now. But I want to be able to read my Amazon-purchased books.
You must be referring to the Nook HD tablet, which does have very high resolution, and yes, you can put the Kindle app on it and read your Kindle books. It is a back lit LCD screen however, unlike the Kindle Paperwhite. You can get the 8gb for $129 which is an absolute steal. But if you want a front lit eink reader, you might consider a refurbished Paperwhite, or wait for the new release, which I have not seen any rumors for, yet, but which many people expect will be in September.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:42 AM   #4
dhanjel

Sorry, was the Kobo Aura HD I was thinking of.
http://www.kobo.com/koboaurahd
Old 07-22-2013, 08:44 AM   #5
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Oh the Kobo Aura, by all accounts, is fantastic. However you can't read your Kindle books on it (unless you know about Calibre + Apprentice Alf). Also it is a bit larger than your Paperwhite, if that is a concern.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2013, 08:59 AM   #6
dhanjel

Larger screen is a plus, I rather have more text and less page turns
Reading Amazon-purchased books is a major dealbreaker though.
(But support DRM and DRM-protected books in Aura is a major plus)
Old 07-22-2013, 09:44 AM   #7
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Larger screen is a plus, I rather have more text and less page turns
Reading Amazon-purchased books is a major dealbreaker though.
(But support DRM and DRM-protected books in Aura is a major plus)
Like Booklover6 says, you can read your Amazon ebooks on the Aura, if you become friends with Apprentice Alf and his gang. I do it all the time, having both a Kindle DXG and an Aura. The Aura will read Adobe ADEPT DRMed ebooks (i.e. it will authorize with Digital Editions) and Kobo epubs.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:40 PM   #8
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
I'll note one thing: the Aura is a bit heavier than the PW, and much slipperier than the Kindle. Great screen, but I still dislike the software for reading and navigation, even if the tools are better than the carousel in the 2.5.x firmware.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote