Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-09-2013, 02:54 AM   #1
phillro
phillro began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Sub-categorization and sequence

I am using hierarchical categories within Series because I have book series within a major series. Thus I have Forsyte Chronicles.The Forsyte Saga and Forsyte Chronicles.A Modern Comedy and Forsyte Chronicles.End of the Chapter (with 3 books in each), and one book in the top level Forsyte Chronicles.

When I display the Series hierarchy, the sub-series are shown in alphabetical order (whether I use First letter or Partition). I want them to be in sub-series order, which happens to be: The Forsyte Saga then A Modern Comedy then End of the Chapter.

The Caegory Editor (for Series) shows a sequence number, but it doesn't seem to be editable. Suggestions, please.
phillro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:21 AM   #2
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
I use the series the hierarchy the same way. The only thing I have gotten to work is to use the integers for the main series and decimal for the sub series does not help for sorting inside calibre. But in sending to device I use this so all the books are sorted properly.

{tags:re([\.],/!)|!|}/{authors[0]}/{authors}/{series:subitems(0,1)||/}{series_index:0>5.2f| | - }{series:subitems(1,10)| | - }{title}
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2013, 04:34 PM   #3
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Another possible method-which I started using because I have a 'saga' whose multiple series are interleaved-is to assign the series number in the order in which I think they should be read, with the series name being the saga, then append the individual series to the title. Not good at screen captures so I'll give an example:
Title Series
Forsyte Chronicles Forsyte Chronicles (1)
Forsyte Saga: Book 1 Forsyte Chronicles (2)
Modern Comedy: Book 1 Forsyte Chronicles (3)
Forsyte Saga: Book 2 Forsyte Chronicles (4)

etc. When sorting by Title it groups the series. When sorting by series it groups the saga in the proper order.

Assuming the saga does run in order then DopedAngel's suggestion of integers works well-but when the series are interwoven it just doesn't seem to work for me although I've tried using decimals for the series, like .1 = Forsyte Saga, but then I always seem to find some that I need to put 2 in the same series between ones in other series. Maybe 2.11 & 2.12 would put 2 Forsyte Saga books between a Forsyte Chronicle (2.0) book and a Modern Comedy (2.2) book. I think that would work but it just got too cumbersome for one that I ended up with about 4 different 'series' in the same universe.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:57 PM   #4
fidvo
Addict
fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Another option that's popular because it solves pretty much all the problems that people have brought up in this thread, is to set up a Subseries custom column. Use the Series column to list the books in the main series in the suggested reading order. Then use the Subseries column for the order in the subseries.

Using the Forsyte series as an example, your library would include the following books:

Title = The Man of Property, Series = Forsyte Chronicles [1], Subseries = Forsyte Saga [1]
Title = In Chancery, Series = Forsyte Chronicles [2], Subseries = Forsyte Saga [2]
Title = To Let, Series = Forsyte Chronicles [3], Subseries = Forsyte Saga [3]
Title = The White Monkey, Series = Forsyte Chronicles [4], Subseries = Modern Comedy [1]
Title = The Silver Spoon, Series = Forsyte Chronicles [5], Subseries = Modern Comedy [2]
Title = Swan Song, Series = Forsyte Chronicles [6], Subseries = Modern Comedy [3]
Title = Maid in Waiting, Series = Forsyte Chronicles [7], Subseries = End of the Chapter [1]
Title = Flowering Wilderness, Series = Forsyte Chronicles [8], Subseries = End of the Chapter [2]
Title = Over the River, Series = Forsyte Chronicles [9], Subseries = End of the Chapter [3]

Like calvin-c's method above, it allows for interleaved subseries, but with the added benefit of storing only the title in the title field.

The only drawback to this method is that you can only have 2 levels to the series hierarchy, but you could add a sub-subseries custom field if you needed a 3rd level. I've personally never come across a series that needed it, but I suppose it's possible.
fidvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:46 AM   #5
phillro
phillro began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
I'm new to Calibre and new to this discussion site. I am blown away by both. In particular - the amount of effort you guys have put into explaining the different ways to solve the problem. Thank you very much indeed.
phillro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
categories, series