Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-07-2012, 08:06 AM   #1156
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakcrew View Post
As I've come to expect from you, that is a very sensible suggestion, Mrs_Often!
Lol, aww thanks

Quote:
Part of it has been my enforced absence from the board for the last week, but the other is that I was reluctant to push it forward because the means of getting the ID is not straight-forward, as you helped me discover.
Well eventually the Mac-way to find out turned out to be quite easy, via System Information

Quote:
However, since it is likely to be only the technically-minded that have a go anyway, that doesn't really matter, does it?

I'll put together a post that covers Windows and Mac (I don't think anyone got back with a Linux solution), and start a new thread later today.
Yay. Let me know if you need a better Mac-walkthrough.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:10 AM   #1157
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Yes, there may be a good reason, but why the heck don't Kobo tell us what it is? As I've said before, I think that there are a number of hardware versions, and it is hard for the devs to deal with them all. That was why I was trying to get people to find their hardware versions and post them with the experiences of updating to 2.0.0/.1/.2/2.1.1. There could be some useful information in there that would actually help the devs.
On October 1st, they'll release a new desktop version to support the new products, and release the firmware at the same time. There will be 2.1.2 version with last minute bug fixes for the new products. Just a guess.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2012, 09:05 AM   #1158
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Yay. Let me know if you need a better Mac-walkthrough.
Thanks! Could you PM me the walk-through, please.
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:06 AM   #1159
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
On October 1st, they'll release a new desktop version to support the new products, and release the firmware at the same time. There will be 2.1.2 version with last minute bug fixes for the new products. Just a guess.
And a good one
Old 09-07-2012, 09:06 AM   #1160
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Gee.. I hope not.

This is the same mistake they made with the Japan version. Rather than release the firmware early to existing devices, they released it in sync with the Japan release, and we all know how well that went.

Since the new firmware is released to the new models well before their available dates (so that it can be burned in before boxing), there is no reason why Kobo can't release it early to the existing devices, and get the inevitable issues resolved before thousands of new customers start posting here wondering why their brand new Kobo's are bricked.

The last thing that Kobo needs right now is any embarassment with a release.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2012, 09:11 AM   #1161
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks! Could you PM me the walk-through, please.
Sure, writing one now.

Update: sent

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 09-07-2012 at 09:24 AM. Reason: update
Old 09-07-2012, 09:26 AM   #1162
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Gee.. I hope not.

This is the same mistake they made with the Japan version. Rather than release the firmware early to existing devices, they released it in sync with the Japan release, and we all know how well that went.

Since the new firmware is released to the new models well before their available dates (so that it can be burned in before boxing), there is no reason why Kobo can't release it early to the existing devices, and get the inevitable issues resolved before thousands of new customers start posting here wondering why their brand new Kobo's are bricked.

My thoughts exactly.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:44 AM   #1163
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Gee.. I hope not.

Well there is what they should do and what they will do. I was guessing what they will do.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:57 AM   #1164
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Well there is what they should do and what they will do. I was guessing what they will do.
I hope murg is right, but worry that you are, John!
Old 09-07-2012, 10:00 AM   #1165
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
There is an active beta process happening for Touch firmware. You know you don't want short cuts or to see the next version rushed out, right?
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:11 AM   #1166
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
There is an active beta process happening for Touch firmware. You know you don't want short cuts or to see the next version rushed out, right?
You are right (and thanks for all your input - I don't think I have had chance to reply to you previously, and it is great to have a beta-tester posting on here). However, 2.0.0 went through the same process, and look what happened there, and 2.0.1/.2 were seemingly rushed through, and looked what happened to the page-turn time for many people ...

I *hope* that the fine folks at Kobo have learned from the mistakes of the past, both in terms of the programming AND whatever went wrong in the testing process, but the proof of the pudding is still in the eating! I look forward with anticipation to the next release, whenever it is ready for consumption.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:15 AM   #1167
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
I think we can all agree that you're right on the short cuts and rushing it out. It has been a while since the 2.0 mess though and some people have got their hands on newer firmware versions (and subsequently informed us of how much they have improved) which makes others who are not inclined to do manual installs anxious for an update.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:00 AM   #1168
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I want fixes to critical bugs. How long do users have to put up with slow epub page turning? And who says the beta process even works. Slow epubs "slipped" thru the last one, who knows what will slip thru this one. At this point, release and let the users sort it out. How much worse can it get?
Old 09-07-2012, 01:13 PM   #1169
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
The beta process sometimes ends before a last internal round of changes. I am not sure why that happens, but for 2.0 I suspect it had something to do with firm deadlines related to the release in Japan. The developers do not seem to be the folks who control that kind of thing. Sameer and his team are great. I am pretty sure that they are less happy than we are when things go pear shaped.

BTW, in the last version tested before the 2.0 release, both kepub and ePubs had slow page turns. On release, the kepub page turns had been fixed. In the past, we were not able to test the installation process that happens in general release either.

I would also love to know why interim fixes for things like this are not released even as they are working on other things. My best guess (and it truly is a guess) is that they are working on something that might make the easy fix not work for everyone, or perhaps for anyone, as some other part of the firmware is worked on.

I do know that when you bake temporary fixes into code, odd things can happen later.

Last edited by taming; 09-07-2012 at 01:19 PM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:06 PM   #1170
guma
Connoisseur
guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Gee.. I hope not.

You implicitly assume that Kobo reacts to bug reports by quickly releasing firmware fixes ... unfortunately this does not seem to be their policy ....
guma is offline   Reply With Quote