Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-02-2012, 02:06 PM   #1
Silencio
Silencio began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kobo glo vs Sony PRS-T2 for fanfiction

My Sony pocket died this week, so I'm been looking into getting a new ereader. The only readers available for me are the Kobo glo and Sony PRS-T2.

Does anyone here own a Kobo with wi-fi? Can you download fanfiction (as epubs) directly from AO3 to the Kobo? and does Calibre work well with Kobo or do you have to use Kobo's own program?

For those of you with a Sony wi-fi reader, I'm wondering the same thing as above, Can you download fanfiction directly from AO3 to the Sony reader?

I read that online browsing doesn't work so well with reader's that have wi-fi, so I'm really interested in hearing how AO3 looks and if it works.
Silencio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:32 PM   #2
Nothingness
Zealot
Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura H2O Limited Edition
I don't have wifi so I don't use that feature of my Kobo Glo. In the other hand Calibre is the main app I use to manage my ebooks with Kobo, and I don't have issues with it. So far I've only used the Kobo app to update the firmware.
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:56 PM   #3
Silencio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothingness View Post
In the other hand Calibre is the main app I use to manage my ebooks with Kobo, and I don't have issues with it. So far I've only used the Kobo app to update the firmware.
I'm glad to hear Calibre works with it, thanks!
Old 12-03-2012, 05:33 AM   #4
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silencio View Post
Does anyone here own a Kobo with wi-fi? Can you download fanfiction (as epubs) directly from AO3 to the Kobo? and does Calibre work well with Kobo or do you have to use Kobo's own program?.
I just downloaded and read an epub from AO3 using the Glo's built-in browser and had no problems. The website is not too hard to navigate despite the small screen.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:33 AM   #5
Silencio

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I just downloaded and read an epub from AO3 using the Glo's built-in browser and had no problems. The website is not too hard to navigate despite the small screen.
That's awesome, thank you for checking it out
Old 12-03-2012, 10:21 PM   #6
sensoria
sensoria began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
I use my Kobo Touch mostly for fanfic. Calibre has a plugin that can pull stuff directly from AO3 and other fic archives -- it works great. Or you can download epubs manually from AO3 and add them thru Calibre, it only takes seconds. I don't use wifi on my Kobo so I can't comment on direct browsing.

For what it's worth, the downsides I've found with the Kobo as a fic reader are:

(1) Doesn't display summaries (though Calibre does).

(2) Doesn't display or use tags (though Calibre does).

(3) Organization can be iffy. I use Shelves (easy with Calibre and the metadata plugboard) but each book/fic can only be in one shelf -- there's no way to add it to multiple shelves (as far as I know). So deciding how to set up your Shelves takes some thought. If you only read one fandom, for example, you could set up shelves by genre & pairing; or if you only read one pairing, by genre & rating. Etc. Whatever works best for your collection.

(4) Probably just a personal annoyance :-) but there's no title (or author) display while you're reading. I'd love if a future Kobo update could put the title in small font down where the page number is, or at the top like a paper book. I read a lot of fic and sometimes I get halfway through a story and totally forget the title & author!

Hope that helps. I haven't tried out the Sony readers but I've been curious about them, for the reasons above.
sensoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:50 PM   #7
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensoria View Post
(3) Organization can be iffy. I use Shelves (easy with Calibre and the metadata plugboard) but each book/fic can only be in one shelf -- there's no way to add it to multiple shelves (as far as I know). So deciding how to set up your Shelves takes some thought. If you only read one fandom, for example, you could set up shelves by genre & pairing; or if you only read one pairing, by genre & rating. Etc. Whatever works best for your collection.
Not sure if that is a limitation of the Calibre plug-in, but it is possible to add a book to multiple shelves on the device itself. I tried it with a regular e-pub if that makes any difference.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:02 PM   #8
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
(1) Doesn't display summaries (though Calibre does).
By summary do you mean the synopsis in the book's metadata? You can see this by selecting "Book Details" from the book's menu in the library or shelf list.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:32 PM   #9
sensoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
By summary do you mean the synopsis in the book's metadata? You can see this by selecting "Book Details" from the book's menu in the library or shelf list.
Yup, the synopsis. I meant to write "Doesn't easily display summaries", sorry. It's there, but I wish there was a way to have the synopsis show by default (instead of the Details view with the date, publisher, etc). Or have it appear directly on the View Shelf page, like an expanded listing for each book.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:34 PM   #10
sensoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Not sure if that is a limitation of the Calibre plug-in, but it is possible to add a book to multiple shelves on the device itself. I tried it with a regular e-pub if that makes any difference.
Interesting, thanks robko. I'll have to play around with that!
Old 12-04-2012, 09:53 PM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
(2) Doesn't display or use tags (though Calibre does).
That would be nice.
Quote:
You can put a book in as many shelves as you want, both on the device and via calibre.

From calibre, if the shelf column is a tag-type column, just enter multiple shelf names. Or, you can use multiple columns. I usually have a my own shelf column plus the series column. But, I have used the tags column. Have a look at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193184 for how to do this.
Quote:
(4) Probably just a personal annoyance :-) but there's no title (or author) display while you're reading. I'd love if a future Kobo update could put the title in small font down where the page number is, or at the top like a paper book. I read a lot of fic and sometimes I get halfway through a story and totally forget the title & author!
I know what you mean, but I'm not sure I would give up the screen space for this. I'd be happy with a way to display the details page from within the book. Also, if you read the Kobo forum, there are a lot more calls for getting rid of the page number area so that more space is available for text.

Last edited by davidfor; 12-04-2012 at 09:56 PM.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:00 PM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Yup, the synopsis. I meant to write "Doesn't easily display summaries", sorry. It's there, but I wish there was a way to have the synopsis show by default (instead of the Details view with the date, publisher, etc). Or have it appear directly on the View Shelf page, like an expanded listing for each book.
For me, the default display has always been synopsis unless there isn't one. Then it displays the details. As to displaying it in the lists, there isn't enough rook for that and to get a decent number of books on the lists.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:37 PM   #13
sensoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
You can put a book in as many shelves as you want, both on the device and via calibre.

From calibre, if the shelf column is a tag-type column, just enter multiple shelf names. Or, you can use multiple columns. I usually have a my own shelf column plus the series column. But, I have used the tags column. Have a look at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193184 for how to do this.
Many thanks. I've had the automated shelf management set up since day 1 with Calibre (there are no words for how awesome it is) but my Shelves field isn't a tag-type column, it only accepts one value. I didn't know there was a way to do multiples! I'll have to play around with the plugin.

ETA: Looks like I'd selected the wrong column type when I set it up. Thanks so much, this will improve my shelf management by 10x!

Quote:
I know what you mean, but I'm not sure I would give up the screen space for this. I'd be happy with a way to display the details page from within the book. Also, if you read the Kobo forum, there are a lot more calls for getting rid of the page number area so that more space is available for text.
Yeah, I can definitely see how it could be an annoyance to some. Shame there isn't an enable/disable option for the entire footer.

Last edited by sensoria; 12-04-2012 at 11:48 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:48 AM   #14
Silencio

Thanks everyone! I got a Kobo glo today and it's awesome. Works great with downloading epub fanfiction like @GeoffR said.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:53 AM   #15
Nothingness
Zealot
Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura H2O Limited Edition
Glad to see another person happy with their Kobo Glo.

Have fun!
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote